Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,161 times

Advertisements

LOL awesome. Stupid tenant, but I'd be a bit PO'd as well if I moved into a place only to find out it didn't have high speed net, and no cell service. Hardly the landlords fault though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 AM

43 posts, read 158,607 times
Yeah, its definitely the tenants fault for not asking. At least they can have satellite tv... that isnt so bad! So what if they cant have cell service there, they can still have a landline and have dial-up. May not be the best thing but if they work from home & need hi-speed internet, they really shouldve thought about this before signing the lease. I think these tenants are being jerks to try and blame the LL.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 26,784 times
Maybe Verizon has EV/DO (3G) coverage there? Not a great alternative, since it's capped, but better than nothing.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
Just another case of a shady landlord. Today broadband is very important to people to many it is essential. This landlord had a duty to disclose all information and did not . Tenant has every right to be upset and seek damages.

Even if the tenant had asked would the LL of actually disclosed the truth? Many LL's fail to tell people of freight trains just over the hill sounding their whistles at 0300, barking dogs or pit bull breeders right next door, or the neighbor next door is an active member of the American Nazi Party. LL should have the obligation of disclosure just as with the purchase of a home and the liability if they fail to do so. No matter if a person plans to live at a location by renting for a year or buying a home and staying for ten years they have a right to know all the particulars.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Just another case of a shady landlord. Today broadband is very important to people to many it is essential. This landlord had a duty to disclose all information and did not . Tenant has every right to be upset and seek damages.

Even if the tenant had asked would the LL of actually disclosed the truth? Many LL's fail to tell people of freight trains just over the hill sounding their whistles at 0300, barking dogs or pit bull breeders right next door, or the neighbor next door is an active member of the American Nazi Party. LL should have the obligation of disclosure just as with the purchase of a home and the liability if they fail to do so. No matter if a person plans to live at a location by renting for a year or buying a home and staying for ten years they have a right to know all the particulars.

Boy, you're making a HUGE assumption in your second paragraph (and you do know the old saw about what happens when you assume, right?), one that says a whole lot more about you than about the landlord (who you don't know from Adam).

As for the landlord disclosing, no, high speed internet is NOT something that can simply be assumed (there's that word again!) to be available in a rental property, especially one that is out in the country. My clients all specify if they need something like that, and that's even when they're moving to small towns, never mind a country property. It's called taking responsibility for your own requirements, something that really should be expected of every adult.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I agree that this is the tenant's responsibility to check. A non-typical rural property may or may not have all services available. We have two properties like this that have no cell service (one has cell service only if you stand at one particular place in the house and don't walk around.) I have no idea what internet is available at either of them. We tell the tenants that it is their job to check on that, as there are many different servicers that may or may not have coverage there.

LL is responsible to make sure that basic utilities are available (heat, power, sewer/septic, water) but not optional utilities such as phone, cable or internet.
Quote:

Many LL's fail to tell people of freight trains just over the hill sounding their whistles at 0300, barking dogs or pit bull breeders right next door, or the neighbor next door is an active member of the American Nazi Party.
You do know that the LL may never have lived in the house, right? If no tenant has ever told them these things, they would have no way of knowing. And they can't disclose what they don't know. Any of these things that are important to a tenant are the tenant's responsibility to find out. There was another thread at one point on this forum about knocking on neighbors doors and asking a few questions before signing a lease.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Lacerta, I ran through all the carriers in our area until I settled on Verizon. Why did I choose them? Because they were the only carrier that not only didn't have the "black holes" in various places around the country where I live and drive on business, but because they were the only carrier where I can actually use the phone inside my house, not on the one square foot of our 55 acres (right next to the pear tree) where I could receive/make calls with the others.

Also, we used dial-up for years before broadband became available (no DSL in sight, and no likelihood of it ever being). It's cranky sometimes, when it rains, and we keep one dial-up account just in case, but at least it's there!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
I don't know about you, but if something is very important to me I don't leave it to chance.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,585 times
Quote:

I agree. The LL should have either stated in the rental ad that cell phone service/internet/cable weren't available there, or told the prospective tenants when they inquired about the place.
It's pretty obvious why he didn't...because he knew 99% of people want these things, and if he was honest, his chances of finding tenants were slim to none.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
I agree. The LL should have either stated in the rental ad that cell phone service/internet/cable weren't available there, or told the prospective tenants when they inquired about the place.
It's pretty obvious why he didn't...because he knew 99% of people want these things, and if he was honest, his chances of finding tenants were slim to none.
Maybe its a regional thing. In my area it is presumed that rural areas don't have great services and you are on your own. If a tenant isn't aware of that, they shouldn't be renting the rural property in the first place, because they probably also don't realize things like: there are no snow plows, the mail is delivered 1/2 mile away, there is no trash service, and there are wild animals nearby.

We figure that a tenant who is interested in renting this kind of property understands that it is a different type of living, and they need to check on various services before making the commitment.

Also, a LL isn't going to guarantee that an optional service is available, because those change all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting