U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM

76 posts, read 60,530 times

Advertisements

The forum is about the last place I want to come to right now, but since the company is in California, I have to wait another half-hour for the manager of that company to get into work, just wanted some peace of mind (if any)

What happened was, I paid my rent in full...however I was late and I was well aware of the $50 late fee in which I had the balance of. Now, I made my rent payment on Monday. It stayed in my account. Last night, I spoke with a guy named Tony and asked him, "has your company recieved my rent payment, when is it going to clear from my account?" He said that it had cleared already and to just call my bank to see when they are going to post it to my account.

Well, this morning...one of the leasing ladies come banging on my door yelling, "MANAGEMENT, MANAGEMENT!" I worked very late last night and was completly disoriented. She gives me 3 sheets of paper saying now I owe $105 in late fee plus a $50 NSF fee plus the rent amount (which is still sitting in my account).

Needless to say, I am fuming. I told her the funds were in my account the entire time and that I made payments before with that card. There is no way Im going to pay an additional $155 for this.

Does anyone know who's error it is? Being that I can show my bank statement to them for the entire week...I shouldn't have to pay that, no? It makes me not want to trust this online rentpayment site that they toute so much. It seems like a scam, where they take forever to clear a payment and then reverse it causing me to get all these late fees

How can I convince the stubborn management to see that it was NOT bank error, and that they need to cancel those extra fees as I already sent them my rent payment?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM

3,133 posts, read 6,655,088 times
Does your bank do online bill pay? I've been using it for years. I schedule a payment and they send it and I avoid all the hassle including buying stamps. There have been a few occasions when it has arrived late. I called the bank and the did a conference call with the utility company. The bank admitted fault and asked that the late fee be waived. The utility company always waived it and that may have to do also with the fact that my bills are normally on time or a day early.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 PM

76 posts, read 60,530 times
This rentpayment company charges 19.95 to use plastic. When I did the check, it was from typing my account number into the system. I been using the same account now for several months.

I did a conference call with the bank and the rentpayment place, turns out...the bank didnt honor it over; get this....25 f-ing cents short. Yet my statements reflect me having the balance in my account, being $5 over on the day I made the transaction, and I continued depositing money throughout the week. Being it was an ACH instead of an actual debit, the bank couldn't use my ovedraft protection I would have not even recieved an overdraft fee because it would have been less than $10 negative.

I went and told and showed all this to the leasing lady today, and she couldn't believe it was over 25 cents. I paid my late fee, but I told her I refuse to pay all that other money (extra late fees, NSF) over 25 cents. And I said hypothetically, if it were to get'nasty'...I have my statements and reciepts in writing the funds were in the account. And I said "for you to say Im a criminal on the papers was RIDICULOUS, Im not a criminal and I have the reciepts matching the account number on my statement"

Supposedly she says its not negotiable (the extra fees) but if I have to speak with the actual owner of these properties, then I will. Now I see why on a review on the apartments, some mentioned the leasing ladies being 'thugs in summer dresses'

I also told her, before they come running up on me...they need to fix the leaky ass roof thats been leaking since I moved here...instead of just patching up the ceiling...

Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 PM

9,591 posts, read 21,246,042 times
Pay the fees, you owe them.

It's your error. It's not the leasing office's fault that the payment wasn't made. It's not their fault that your account was 25 cents short. The bank did what the bank is going to do when there's not enough in the account to cover a check or payment....it refuses to pay it or it pays it and charges you a fee.

And showing your bank statements isn't going to help either, it just shows you were sitting on that money. If the online rentpayment made the error, then they should pay the fees or your leasing company could reverse them. But, since the error was a math error on your part, you owe the fees.

Did you print the page from the online company showing that your payment was accepted and showed a comfirmation number? You might have some leeway if you have that.......at least that shows you tried to make the payment when you said you did with the amount you said you did.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM

9,591 posts, read 21,246,042 times
Yelling and swearing at your landlord isnt a good idea. Making demands of them isn't either. At this point you should be going out of your way being extra nice...you were late with your rent check.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 PM

4,805 posts, read 21,106,355 times
I understand your frustration--believe me I've spent hours dealing with my bank over the same issue. Most banks rearrange your deposits and withdrawals into whatever order is most financially beneficial to you. Its wrong, I think, but legally they are allowed to do it.

But your beef should be with the bank, not the LL. The LL did not cause this situation, and there is nothing they could have done to avoid these fees.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM

8,047 posts, read 25,305,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Most banks rearrange your deposits and withdrawals into whatever order is most financially beneficial to you. Its wrong, I think, but legally they are allowed to do it.
What's wrong with the bank doing what is financially beneficial to you? That sounds like a good thing to me. If you meant the opposite, that they do what is most financially beneficial to THEM, then that is a different issue.

I know Wells Fargo posts all deposits for the day before all check debits, so that is financially in the favor of the client (me), not the bank. (Obviously cash debits are posted at the time they occur.)

Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyandSingle View Post
This rentpayment company charges 19.95 to use plastic. When I did the check, it was from typing my account number into the system. I been using the same account now for several months.

I did a conference call with the bank and the rentpayment place, turns out...the bank didnt honor it over; get this....25 f-ing cents short. Yet my statements reflect me having the balance in my account, being $5 over on the day I made the transaction, and I continued depositing money throughout the week. Being it was an ACH instead of an actual debit, the bank couldn't use my ovedraft protection I would have not even recieved an overdraft fee because it would have been less than $10 negative.

I went and told and showed all this to the leasing lady today, and she couldn't believe it was over 25 cents. I paid my late fee, but I told her I refuse to pay all that other money (extra late fees, NSF) over 25 cents. And I said hypothetically, if it were to get'nasty'...I have my statements and reciepts in writing the funds were in the account. And I said "for you to say Im a criminal on the papers was RIDICULOUS, Im not a criminal and I have the reciepts matching the account number on my statement"

Supposedly she says its not negotiable (the extra fees) but if I have to speak with the actual owner of these properties, then I will. Now I see why on a review on the apartments, some mentioned the leasing ladies being 'thugs in summer dresses'

I also told her, before they come running up on me...they need to fix the leaky ass roof thats been leaking since I moved here...instead of just patching up the ceiling...
So you had an extra $5.00 in your account and that was it? Or so you think you did?

That can become a problem....

Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Status: "Growing and operating Red Rooster Property Management" (set 3 days ago)

2,471 posts, read 5,569,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
So you had an extra $5.00 in your account and that was it? Or so you think you did?

That can become a problem....
That's my question, too. You're only leaving a $5 buffer in your account? Please say it isn't so. If it is, that's just bad budgeting on your part. Sure, it'd be nice if the online payment thing happened "right away", but they're just not happening that quick, yet. Someone else mentioned that you should use your own bank's billpay service, and that might be a little better for you.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,515,062 times
You overdrafted your account, and are here blaming it on the leasing staff? You need an attitude adjustment. You owe the late fees whether your account was 25 cents short or 200 bucks short, doesn't matter. It's your responsibility to make sure that there are funds in your account to cover ALL transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or