Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 25,844 times

Advertisements

I have been planning on moving into a rental house with 3 roommates. The issue is that one of them has two cats. Pets are allowed, but with a pet rent of $10 A DAY.

This roommate had been looking at places without me because I currently live in a different city. I foolishly assumed he had at least asked about pets.

The pet deposit is $200, and I would not mind splitting that, but I am not inclined to chip in on an extra $300 a month. We are in the application process, and apparently he just left the 'pets' part of the application blank. I don't really feel right, because lets face it, omissions like that are lies.

I've seen previous threads saying to just own up to the pets. That doesn't really make sense for me to be the tattletale. My question is: should I just pull out of this? Nothing has been signed or paid by me.

I realize I would be *****ing a few other people, who happen to be friends, but I'm not comfortable lying about the situation, nor would I want to be the snitch at a later time.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM

13,916 posts, read 39,191,951 times
Own up or get Tossed out later & have added fees!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,060,080 times
I have paid pet fees before but I couldn't fathom paying $3,600 a year for them.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 PM

11 posts, read 25,844 times
I thought I misread at first, but yep $10 A DAY.

I'm not sure how I could own up to pets that aren't mine, but I guess that answers my question in a roundabout way.

I hope no one put the deposit down.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:05 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
$ 10.00 a day...that is a rip off or perhaps a good reason not to rent there...I'm a LL and have a $ 300.00 non refunadable pet fee, but a daily rent is to me only for a hotel or motel...not for a long term rental agreement...but my guess is that the LL hopes the tenant will be so shocked they won't move in and if they still do they know upfront what they need to pay...and either pay and don't whine about it or don't move in...

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM

38 posts, read 71,772 times
Don't make the mistake of moving in with a roommate with cats, and darn well don't put your money down for pet deposit or monthly pet fees..!! You will regrete it the rest of our life.
Find a new roommate...!
Even if he pays everything, A couple of months with two cats and the place will need to be bulldozed...!
Do not get yourself in that situation..!
There is a reason they charge $10 a day, they know what is going to happen...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 AM

68 posts, read 205,709 times
I would get out of this situation as soon as possible. Your friend should not have put you in this situation. Look around to rent a room or a studio for yourself. You and your future friendship with greatly benefit from you following your gut since now. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,611,598 times
Why should you pay ANY of the pet deposit for animals that are not yours? And are you sure that the prices you have there are for both animals? Sometimes you have to pay per pet.

Incidentally, that pet rent amount is the most extreme I have ever seen. Unless there is something really special or unusual about this location or your rental market to justify pricing like that I think you should look for a place with more reasonable pet fees.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
If your roommate is willing to pay the entire amount required by the LL for his pets then he can do that (and have that noted in writing!) - but I'm guessing that's not his intent since he's already tried to avoid the pet question on the rental application. I don't think he's very good roommate material ...

Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,060,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rising Suun View Post

I realize I would be *****ing a few other people, who happen to be friends, but I'm not comfortable lying about the situation, nor would I want to be the snitch at a later time.

TIA
You wouldn't be *****ing anyone. Your roommate is. Tell them either get rid of the pets or pay the fee. If the LL finds out about this and it wasn't disclosed I imagine you are all going to be responsible for paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting