Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to Omaha, Nebraska.

Within the first 4 days of moving into a rental house, we discovered a roof leak. We reported it immediately, it took 2 days for someone to respond and it now has been over a month and no one has come to fix the roof. I have called the LL twice and have sent 2 letters.

He keeps telling me someone will be out within a few days but no one has yet to show up. I found out from the neighbors that the previous tenant had the same problem.

It has been a month now and I am getting frustrated. I can't find any type of housing agency here in Nebraska that I can call.

The leak is where the roof lines meet, there's no flashing and I can see a patch of tar on the roof where the leak is coming in. I have destroyed a brownie pan because that is the only thing that will fit under the roof peak to catch the water coming in.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Unresolved Habitability issues can be grounds for early lease termination in my State... also, we have a provision where the Tenant is allowed under very specific circumstances to repair and deduct.

I'm not well versed in the requirements of your state.

Roof estimates are often free... maybe get one and send it to the owner?

Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
There isnt a housing office for Nebraska, but you can always contact the Attorney General.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting