Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:03 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times

Advertisements

When I was looking to replace my first car, my dad took me to a Pontiac dealership. When he saw the car and saw what it was called, he got angry. He use to own a GTO. On it's own, it wasn't that bad a car, but it wasn't a LeMans. It was an Opel Kaddett built in Korea by Daewoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,796,997 times
Yugo, because you go nowhere !!!!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,950 times
Hardly worth getting angry over, I would think.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a4-BEjRyrc

Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Speaking of GTO remember when GM tried to bring them back? They were kinda blah in the styling department built from an Australian car, the Murano I think it was called but they were fast.
People that bought the GTO love them but like the Ford Thunderbird redo it had a limited market and was axed after a few years.
When trying to do a retro car companies need to remember that the new car needs to ressemble the classic. Dodge did a nice job with the Challenger and GM with the Camaro.

I always thought Subaru was a funny name since read backwards it reads U R A BUS .

Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 AM

807 posts, read 1,354,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Speaking of GTO remember when GM tried to bring them back? They were kinda blah in the styling department built from an Australian car, the Murano I think it was called but they were fast.
People that bought the GTO love them but like the Ford Thunderbird redo it had a limited market and was axed after a few years.
When trying to do a retro car companies need to remember that the new car needs to ressemble the classic. Dodge did a nice job with the Challenger and GM with the Camaro.

I always thought Subaru was a funny name since read backwards it reads U R A BUS .
Monaro. That's why I own one. Doesn't scream look at me. Looks like a Grand Prix except it's rear wheel drive with an LS2 and T56 M6.

Geez, that video is so cheesy. False advertisement lol.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I disagree. To me, it doesn't need to look like it's namesake. It has to have the spirit of the namesake. The 80s Mustang looked nothing like any Mustang before but it was still successful. Base model was an efficient (for its time) commuter while the GT offered V8 performance. The original GTO was pretty dull looking until you hit the gas. The problem with this GTO was those who could afford it and remembered the GTO remembered the late 60s to early 70s version with all the hood scoops and go fast stickers. Younger people who liked it's performance couldn't afford it. And it's styling too closely resembled the Grand Am and Grand Prix. It needed more than a pair of hood scoops to separate it from Pontiac's FWD cars.

The 88 LeMans was a good economical commuter. It had the name of a large sports coupe/sedan with RWD & big V8 engine. This LeMans was FWD and its engine was less than half the size, horsepower, & torque of the past LeMans people fondly remember. The T1000 would have been a more aptly name.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
I thought the worst car name was the Mazda LaPuta:

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I disagree. To me, it doesn't need to look like it's namesake. It has to have the spirit of the namesake. The 80s Mustang looked nothing like any Mustang before but it was still successful. Base model was an efficient (for its time) commuter while the GT offered V8 performance. The original GTO was pretty dull looking until you hit the gas. The problem with this GTO was those who could afford it and remembered the GTO remembered the late 60s to early 70s version with all the hood scoops and go fast stickers. Younger people who liked it's performance couldn't afford it. And it's styling too closely resembled the Grand Am and Grand Prix. It needed more than a pair of hood scoops to separate it from Pontiac's FWD cars.

The 88 LeMans was a good economical commuter. It had the name of a large sports coupe/sedan with RWD & big V8 engine. This LeMans was FWD and its engine was less than half the size, horsepower, & torque of the past LeMans people fondly remember. The T1000 would have been a more aptly name.
I have a GTO and only a non-car person would think it resembled a Grand Prix or Grand Am.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I have a GTO and only a non-car person would think it resembled a Grand Prix or Grand Am.

Anyone who says they don't resemble each other is lying. The fact that it looked so much like a Grand Am/Prix is why it flopped.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands