U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,541,813 times

Advertisements

Our 2004 Oldsmobile Alero tonight won't start, even though the battery is powerful enough to illuminate the headlights. Even a jump won't budge it. It "ticks" or "clicks."

My inclination is that it's the starter, but at the same time there were a few occasions the past few days where it would start but it did the "rar, rar, rar," delay indicative of a weak battery before doing so. Leading up to this, though, it had pretty much stopped doing this and was just cranking without delay.

Thoughts?

And a little venting--am I being ridiculously silly, or are others like me prone to becoming absolutely MIFFED to a SEVERE degree when you have to spend a lot of money to fix a car? It miffs me, a LOT. If I spend, say, $300-500, I want to see something NEW come out of that. Having to spend that much to fix a car feels like someone stole it from me. You're paying that much out but seeing nothing new gained by it, just the restoration of something you already had earlier to start with. I'd almost rather lose the car altogether than have to spend that much money just to get something BACK. (It's sitting stalled at the grocery store & I outright REFUSE to spend $100 to tow it just to find out what's wrong with it, waiting to see if a friend with AAA--we used to have that ourselves--has any left-over credits & can tow it that way. My wife was like "what it it gets vandalized" my reply "good, I don't want a car I have to keep pouring money into to fix anyway, they can blanking have it.")

LRH
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 10,260,869 times
Your starter solenoid is shot, which means you need to replace the starter. Unfortunately, the starter for that car is pretty danged expensive.

If you're going to replace it yourself, and can wait a few days for shipping, I'd suggest looking into DB Electrical.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 AM

470 posts, read 1,392,072 times
Just because the headlights come on doesn't mean the battery is fully charged. If it ticks and clicks that battery is shot. Sometimes a jump won't even help if the battery is too far gone. Time for a new one. I guarantee it will start if you replace the battery.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM

2,341 posts, read 10,260,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
Just because the headlights come on doesn't mean the battery is fully charged. If it ticks and clicks that battery is shot. Sometimes a jump won't even help if the battery is too far gone. Time for a new one. I guarantee it will start if you replace the battery.
You going to stand behind that warranty?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,190,239 times
The battery could even have shorted out. Regardless, the battery is done.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM

470 posts, read 1,392,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You going to stand behind that warranty?
Sure! If OP buys a new battery and it doesn’t work I'll replace the starter. OP must buy the parts and bring the car to my house with a 6 pack of beer. I'm not a mechanic but i can do the work and have the tools.

The reason it's the battery: the stereo and lights take what, 30 amps combined to run? Starting usually takes around 200+ amps on most cars.

A severely drained battery can run the radio all day, but it will never start. The clicking is enough amperage to fire the solenoid but not enough to turn the compressed engine

Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 PM

11,261 posts, read 14,249,039 times
What if the engine ground wire is loose, or covered in grime? I had this issue with my old Tempo. Cleaning and tightening the ground solved the problem.

Or, is there a bunch of corrosion on the battery terminals?

I'm just looking for simple solutions here. The cost of 10 minutes and a wrench type things lol

Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,541,813 times
I had Chevron towing and I had it towed to a garage. I'll know pretty soon hopefully. At such times it's nice to have 2 cars--one acts up, switch to the other one and barely miss a beat.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM

13,890 posts, read 19,374,858 times
OP, that's why we always keep a spare car. yes indeed.
What you likely have is badly corroded battery terminals. Normally, folks jump car by connecting jumper cables to the battery cable terminals. Then, current has to go through those corroded terminals, and high resistance kills current strength.
Another, better way, is to connect positive jumper cable grip to battery cable terminal and negative jumper side to a known good ground on engine. GM even provides such terminal close to alternator mount.
Also, jumping car has to rev its engine to send enough power down the jumper cables.
Aslo, guess what - jumper cables are not all even. Some are cheapo ones, that also corrode very fast - and nothing goes through.
Only after all this was resolved, you may consider your starter.
Like other poster said - lights and dash lights mean nothing. Only load test may tell if you battery is full charge and crank power.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 PM

13,890 posts, read 19,374,858 times

Diagnostic flowchart for a car that won't start or stalls - Troubleshooting for the starter, spark failure and the fuel pump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands