U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM

912 posts, read 1,346,373 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I searched for a thread like this, so my apologies if there is one and I missed it. I'm hoping for a bit of assistance and you all seem really knowledgeable about car-related issues!

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion -- I'm the only owner of the car, and it has just over 100k miles. For the last few years, my car has had an intermittent issue with the ignition. Sometimes I'll go to turn off the car, and the ignition gets stuck in the ACC mode and won't go all the way off. Up until very recently, it would take a few minutes to turn all the way off, and while it was annoying (and always seemed to happen when I was late or in the dead of summer!), I never really worried about it or thought it was worth fixing. I'd also go months without a problem at all, then I'd have a few months of issues.

Recently, though, it's become more of an issue -- it's happening more consistently, and getting stuck for longer. A few times over the last couple of weeks, I've just left my car parked in the garage still in the ACC position and come back for it later to give it time to do whatever it needs to do to turn all the way off.

Predictably, this has come back to bite me. I did that last night, then went in to start dinner and just generally had a very busy night then just went to bed. I didn't realize until a couple of hours ago that my keys were STILL in the ignition (at home today because of bad weather)...then I ran down to the car and of course, the battery is dead. The key was still stuck in the ACC position, which seemed weird. I also had the padlock over car symbol on my dash, which seems to signify my security system.

I looked online and found the manual override to get the key out of the ignition, so I did that, but the padlock + car symbol is still on.

My husband is going to jump my car off when he gets home.

So, two questions:
  1. Is it going to be a problem to jump the car off when I had to use the manual override to get the key out? I'm just worried about that symbol still being on my dash. I know that's probably a really dumb question, but I don't want to cause a problem.
  2. What could it be and about how much would it be to fix? We're planning on trading my car in later this year, and I'd rather not spend a ton more money on the car unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:09 PM

20,655 posts, read 21,449,650 times
Best to register here and ask your question

SaturnFans.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM

2,341 posts, read 10,260,869 times
What Motormaker said.

Also, the Saturns of that era - particularly the Ion - had a lot of weird problems like that. A really good locksmith might be able to help you out, but the Saturn Forum is where you're most apt to find vehicle-specific answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands