Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that has a Saturn Ion (2003). She thinks the battery needs to be replaced; I checked and it's due.

Here's the deal. The battery is in the TRUNK. She went to Autozone for a battery and they told her they didn't carry Autolight batteries.

Can anyone give me an idea where she can purchase one of these so I can replace it for her?

If there is an ION parts list online I'd gladly take a gander. One website was selling them for $200+!

I can't see paying that much for a battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
If it's like BMW batteries that are in the trunk, the only real difference is a "vent kit". Get away from Autozone and similar, go to a "real" battery store where they specialize in batteries, they should have what you want.

You didn't ask, but I'll add: Get one of the little "memory saver" gizmos that connect a 9V battery to the cigarette lighter outlet. Figure out if the cigarette lighter outlet is "hot" all the time or just with the key turned to position "1". If you have to turn the key to "1" to turn the lighter on, you need to open the driver's window so you can turn the key to "1" just before you disconnect the battery. Turn the dome lights, radio, etc. off. This will keep the radio presets, avoid having to input any anti-theft codes to the radio, keep the clock set, etc. If the current battery is stone dead it may be too late, but this thing costs very little and saves some hassling around.

Install gizmo, then disconnect the ground wire first, +12 second, put in the new battery, I'd suggest some petroleum jelly be put on the battery terminals as anti-corrosion.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If it's like BMW batteries that are in the trunk, the only real difference is a "vent kit". Get away from Autozone and similar, go to a "real" battery store where they specialize in batteries, they should have what you want.

You didn't ask, but I'll add: Get one of the little "memory saver" gizmos that connect a 9V battery to the cigarette lighter outlet. Figure out if the cigarette lighter outlet is "hot" all the time or just with the key turned to position "1". If you have to turn the key to "1" to turn the lighter on, you need to open the driver's window so you can turn the key to "1" just before you disconnect the battery. Turn the dome lights, radio, etc. off. This will keep the radio presets, avoid having to input any anti-theft codes to the radio, keep the clock set, etc. If the current battery is stone dead it may be too late, but this thing costs very little and saves some hassling around.

Install gizmo, then disconnect the ground wire first, +12 second, put in the new battery, I'd suggest some petroleum jelly be put on the battery terminals as anti-corrosion.
Thanks Mitch! The gizmo device really sounds like a good idea.

Unfortunately, the only place I've ever gotten batteries and such is at autozone or O'reilly. Can you recommend a "real" battery store?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I'd just look in the yellow pages, under "batteries". Or look under Auto Electric. DFW is a big metro area, I am pretty certain you have such establishments.

You can sometimes find a real car guy at the chain auto parts stores, but it's rare.

Trunk mounted batteries are not rare, you might even find the correct battery at Wally World.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'd just look in the yellow pages, under "batteries". Or look under Auto Electric. DFW is a big metro area, I am pretty certain you have such establishments.

You can sometimes find a real car guy at the chain auto parts stores, but it's rare.

Trunk mounted batteries are not rare, you might even find the correct battery at Wally World.
Thanks Mitch! I actually think the local Autozone has the battery. My friend is never good at communicating with people for such things so it's best I go there myself.

Have a great evening!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
It's just a gm 75 series side post battery just like the one they use in every other one of their cars.

It shouldn't be more than $100

Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 40,410 times
Default Ion Battery

Wow - Expensive things they are! Yes they are vented batteries and are in the trunk. No warning battery just went and we had to have a tow (wouldn't charge) no crank or anything. System Check, Battery & install $182.00. Not your typical battery and install.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcats View Post
Wow - Expensive things they are! Yes they are vented batteries and are in the trunk. No warning battery just went and we had to have a tow (wouldn't charge) no crank or anything. System Check, Battery & install $182.00. Not your typical battery and install.
OUch! they charged you $62 to instal the battery. That is steep given it takes 5 minutes and most places will instal them for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands