Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
OKAY MISTER EXPERT.. YOU TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I HAVE DONE! Did you not read my post above?
Nope, I missed it. My mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,385 times
IMO you got a fair compensation since they are giving you an engine, a loan car and hotel.

Quote:
If I still get a bill for the timing belt should I look at them and say, what about the bill for my inconvenience?
Didnt you mention that the timing belt is free?
if you get a bill for that, you can tell them that GM agreed to pay for it.

Quote:
does the value of a vehicle diminish if the engine has been replaced with another used engine?
If you are getting a used engine with lesser miles than what you originally had, shouldn't you be happy about it?
Look at it this way: you got a total engine rebuild at 60k miles almost for free

Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
IMO you got a fair compensation since they are giving you an engine, a loan car and hotel.

Didnt you mention that the timing belt is free?
if you get a bill for that, you can tell them that GM agreed to pay for it.

If you are getting a used engine with lesser miles than what you originally had, shouldn't you be happy about it?
Look at it this way: you got a total engine rebuild at 60k miles almost for free
I am not getting a total engine rebuild at 60k. I am getting an engine with 5k less than the one on my car with no rebuild. Just the seals being replaced. And there is no knowledge of how the owner of the prior engine took care of his car. I took very good care of mine and I even do proper engine cool downs for a turbo (I let the engine cool off after use rather than just shutting off the engine) and I only use full synthetic and change oil between 3k and 5k, depending on how I drove the vehicle.

Also, I am now stuck in Florida for close to a week, delaying my return home and directly impacting vacation plans and plans to get home, pack up my flat and move to the Boston area to start a new job. Car was promised to me Tuesday. Now it looks like Friday if I am lucky. What about the inconvenience to me and the alteration of my vacation and moving plans?

Finally, I did not take them up on their offer of a hotel room as I had a place to stay but now I have to get a hotel room if I am still here over the weekend and I have a lot of stuff that I have to figure out where to store.

Last edited by minibrings; 04-22-2009 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Something to think about is maybe you want a new turbo, or you want your turbo put on this engine.

All this is why I almost always DIY. I do *occasionally* farm out some work to 2 or 3 local shops, mostly 1-man shops where I know the principal well. These guys know not to BS me, they also know I have many vehicles and won't breathe down their neck to finish my car, that I want and am willing to pay for "while you are in there" stuff, that I don't want any questionable parts re-installed, and that I pay up without quibbling for good work. So, the good karma goes both ways.

But dealers in general are a PITA, they *always* seem to have at least one numbskull in the loop (the stupid kids who drive the cars around the lot, do oil changes, wash cars, etc.)

Keeping these punks away from my car is reason enough not to do dealer service...

Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Something to think about is maybe you want a new turbo, or you want your turbo put on this engine.
Thanks.. I did call them (I took your advise) and they will be using the turbo from my car. The engine that will hopurbo.efully finally arrive tomorrow is without a turbo.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
I'm assuming the bolt or nut didn't make it into the exhaust system. That needs to be checked.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm assuming the bolt or nut didn't make it into the exhaust system. That needs to be checked.
Nope they showed me where it was damaged.. I was not happy seeing the head of my engine opened up... I really took care of that engine..

Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Well at least they owned up to it and have put some effort into making it right.

When I was younger, my ford mustang got the engine screwed by a shop that replaced my fuel injectors. Absolute nightmare. Five months of hell. Cost me a crapload of money and I was in the same situation you were. I was in Alabama and had to get back to work in Colorado.

It was a 5.0 mustang that was 13 years old and was lucky to get $2300 bucks for it when I finally sold it. The engine problem didn't bother the guy as he was keen on how straight the rest of the car was and was going to hop it up.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Read thru most of the posts.

Will have to defend the mechanic/tech in regards to dropping a screw into the spk plug hole.

This can happen to anyone...(never intentional) as the spk plug hole is generally a hollow area and when removing a spk plug much is done by feel with the socket and not seeing a screw or nut or small bolt is very easy to miss. Many mechanics have done this including yours truely.

Has happened to me a couple of times. Once when turning the engine over by hand...thud? whoops? what happened?...back the engine up and again ...thud. Pulled the plug and was able to remove a small screw with a magnet. 2nd time I had to pull the engine to remove the head...all this in one day for a small tune up. Some days I just shake my head and hope for the best.

So...give the guy a break...it was an honest problem that they made right with integrity.

Steve

Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Read thru most of the posts.

So...give the guy a break...it was an honest problem that they made right with integrity.

Steve
Steve

I did give the guy a break. I let them ruin my vacation, changed my start date for a new job by one week and I was always polite to them and they to me. They were very appreciative. I am aware accidents happen.. it just was my bad luck it was my car.

Now to all
I am now not getting a used engine but they will replace the damaged piston. The husband of a friend of mine, a BMW mechanic told her to tell me to sell the car when I get home. I have not heard why. Any opinions? Its not an engine rebuild..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands