U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:31 PM

9,172 posts, read 11,381,341 times

Advertisements

Throughout my career, I always kept about 5-projects going at once -- and was always on the lookout for new things to do. Since retirement, I still always have about 5-things going and am looking for new things to do.

I've observed, however, that retirees who were almost singularly focused on work during their careers ... often find themselves somewhat limited in terms of finding things to do in retirement.

I'm one of those people who is so busy in retirement, that I don't know when I had time to work. Others sit around in their pajamas and watch soap operas on TV (because they don't have anything else to do).

In Short, Retirement changes what one does, but not how they do it.

What type of retiree are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM

8,489 posts, read 12,298,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
One that doesn't judge how other retirees spend their day.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,153,260 times
Quote:
Throughout my career, I always kept about 5-projects going at once -- and was always on the lookout for new things to do. Since retirement, I still always have about 5-things going and am looking for new things to do.

I've observed, however, that retirees who were almost singularly focused on work during their careers ... often find themselves somewhat limited in terms of finding things to do in retirement.

I'm one of those people who is so busy in retirement, that I don't know when I had time to work. Others sit around in their pajamas and watch soap operas on TV (because they don't have anything else to do).

In Short, Retirement changes what one does, but not how they do it.

Au contraire. I finally retired after working 45 years in the military, law enforcement and state legislation and politics. I usually had a lot of balls to juggle at any given time. Now it's my extreme pleasure to rest, putter around in the house and yard, take short trips to new places and see new things and visit family in other states on occasion.

I'm the kind of retiree who loves the calm and comfort of retirement, doesn't have a schedule and is free!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,021,706 times
I'm like you, JGHorton ------I always have several things on a to-do list - always out and about - doing projects or entertaining myself. Rarely stay in the house all day - gotta get out.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,563,702 times
No I have made many changes since i retired. I have many more I guess what you could call projects especailly ones that get done and not dropped.My to do ist got shorter leeaving me with more time to do non-projects.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 PM

15,352 posts, read 20,395,390 times
Others sit around in their pajamas and watch soap operas on TV (because they don't have anything else to do).

I'm with MadMan. What's wrong with spending one's hard-earned retirement as one wants????????????????

Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 AM

13,515 posts, read 14,771,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
....I'm the kind of retiree who loves the calm and comfort of retirement, doesn't have a schedule and is free!
Me too. I deeply appreciate this time of life and this way of living it.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,645,077 times
I don't see retirement as being an either/or situation ... either busy, or not.

The big thing for me is that I generally do what I want when I want, and if I want to spend the day reading, or watching The Sopranos, that's fine. If I want to spend the day cleaning out the basement, doing yard work, and washing the cars, that's fine, too.

If we want to go kayaking (as we did yesterday), we go. If we want to take a trip to New England to see family (as we will in a couple of weeks), we do.

So far (knock on wood), my retirement is one that is as structured as I choose it to be, and that is exactly what I was hoping retirement would be.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 AM

35,232 posts, read 34,530,794 times
Quote:

Others sit around in their pajamas and watch soap operas on TV (because they don't have anything else to do).
Do you really know any retiree, personally, who does that? I don't.

I was in a class yesterday on the city charter for my town. The day before I was in a class on Selected Research Topics
On Land-Atmosphere Interactions and the day before that I was outdoors for 4 hours taking photographs and then grocery shopping. No retiree that I know sits around all day in front of the TV set.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:41 AM

57,207 posts, read 76,221,394 times
compulsive CDF poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement