Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 PM

407 posts, read 1,559,349 times

Advertisements

A lot of really good suggestions, especially about the options of helping out military families. I hadn't realized these organizations were available. This was a handy thread, as I'll be downsizing in a couple years and I'm not sure what I'll be doing with everything - especially knick-knacks - which could be someone else's treasure for the "priced-to-sell" price! A lot of people that have yard sales think they are selling treasures and forget that the yard sale is a way to get rid of unwanted items - making money is a side benefit!

I have cousins in another state that have a spare barn with lots of room. They have a rather large extended family in the area, and as the older generations have upgraded or moved or downsized, many of the items end up in the barn. When the younger generation members move out or get married or set up house, they get to browse the barn for what they want/need - furniture, appliances, clothes, household items... it's amazing how well that's worked! It's a constantly revolving "stock", and it's been a great way for them to keep some items in the family and still in use! Unfortunately, they're a bit too far away for me to take advantage of the barn as a destination for my items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLooking View Post
So, this whole endeavor could result in a lot of labor, little profit, and still a lot of things that did not sell.

I could easily make a few runs to the transfer station (e.g., landfill) with my pickup and toss everything but guilt feelings prevent that, at least so far.
If you are still working and filing taxes long form then give it all to Goodwill. They'll even pick it up.

Itemize everything, take photos even.

Goodwill will give a sheet with estimated values to be used for income tax purposes.

Nothing shady here our political elites do it all the time.

A Shower Of Gifts For Hillary And Bill - TIME

Quote:
Ever angling, the Clintons actually took a tax deduction for donating used underwear (boxers or briefs not specified) to charity.
At the time I read where they took a $2.00 deduction for each set of used underwear and in a 30% tax bracket that works out to $0.60/used underwear in tax savings. You'd never sell a pair of your used boxer shorts for $0.60 at a garage sale. Try selling 20 pairs of used jockey shorts for $6.00.

A color television that works is worth $200 which translates into uncle sam paying $40 for it with no muss, no fuss.

When we downsized we gave a lot to Goodwill. We itemized every item and used Goodwill's suggested values which amounted to $7,000 which saved $1,750 off our tax bill. We would never have received that much from a garage sale. Just make sure it is well documented.... and yes, I did donate some old underwear.

Another good article with guidelines http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/...1-16-mym_x.htm

Quote:
Former president Bill Clinton once made public a tax return on which he deducted $2 apiece for donated underwear. In a mandatory financial disclosure, Chief Justice William Rehnquist valued the robe he wore at Clinton's 1998 impeachment trial at $30,000. Rehnquist wouldn't say whether he claimed his donation of the robe to the Smithsonian Institution as a tax deduction.
As an added bonus you get rid of everything!

Last edited by nicet4; 07-20-2010 at 11:14 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM

255 posts, read 695,190 times
Thanks, but we don't itemize anymore.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
If there are any 10-12-year-olds in your family, ask them to do it all for you. They have unlimited energy, and they'll be cracker jacks wheeling and dealing. Cut them in for a good share of the take, and see that they have plenty of pizza.

As the day goes by, start setting unsold items on a bargain table, and lower the price. You don't want anything left over, give it away free at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement