Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,132,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Put this crap in the political forum and go smoke your pipe.
Are you making any suggestions what is in his pipe? I have my own idea but since the idea was yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 01:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,066,464 times
I have a hardtime seeig any one thnk that corporate america is doing anyhting to medicare espeacilly when it the current administration who has taken 500 billion from its funding.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:52 PM

33 posts, read 66,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
The upper income peoples should all be thankful that we have SS and Medicare in this country. Without them, the rich will forced to live in guarded compounds. They will need to hire armed guards to protect them and their children at all time. The US will be another third world countries because so many of old and sick people have no means of surviving and resort to violence just to survive.
I note you got no responses to this post. In the 1930's, before progressive legislation was issued, this was a very real threat.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesper View Post
I note you got no responses to this post. In the 1930's, before progressive legislation was issued, this was a very real threat.
Many of the posters in this forum are retired, well educated and have a sense of balance. This is not a political forum and thus many of us have long since learned how to ignore. No response is often not a result of being unable to disagree with but more often maturity and not giving merit when none is deserved.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Many of the posters in this forum are retired, well educated and have a sense of balance. This is not a political forum and thus many of us have long since learned how to ignore. No response is often not a result of being unable to disagree with but more often maturity and not giving merit when none is deserved.
Not sure what's more surprising, the lack of response to stockpro's post, or your response to me.

I've been retired for several years now, which is the reason I recently chose to join this forum. As far as being well educated, I have a PhD, but I grant there's at best a loose correlation between that and a well-educated person. As far as balanced, not sure about that, I just try to be.

I didn't think my (or his/her) post was political in nature -- it was historical. Many of the responses involve the undeniable fact that the rich pay more in taxes than the poor. This is not only true, but a historical consequence of our progressive tax system that was long debated as a consequence of previous economic collapses and issues with poverty and unemployment in this country. Not arguing for or against such a system, just stating the fact that this was what the nation decided during the post-boom FDR years, and it has served us well from then until recently. Perhaps it's time to revisit the historical issue, but it should at least be acknowledged.

It's little wonder, with the current economic problems and deficits, that these issues are once again being openly debated. However, I think it would be useful to place them in a historical context, rather than put such posters on ignore.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Not sure what's more surprising, the lack of response to stockpro's post, or your response to me.

I've been retired for several years now, which is the reason I recently chose to join this forum. As far as being well educated, I have a PhD, but I grant there's at best a loose correlation between that and a well-educated person. As far as balanced, not sure about that, I just try to be.

I didn't think my (or his/her) post was political in nature -- it was historical. Many of the responses involve the undeniable fact that the rich pay more in taxes than the poor. This is not only true, but a historical consequence of our progressive tax system that was long debated as a consequence of previous economic collapses and issues with poverty and unemployment in this country. Not arguing for or against such a system, just stating the fact that this was what the nation decided during the post-boom FDR years, and it has served us well from then until recently. Perhaps it's time to revisit the historical issue, but it should at least be acknowledged.

It's little wonder, with the current economic problems and deficits, that these issues are once again being openly debated. However, I think it would be useful to place them in a historical context, rather than put such posters on ignore.
Let me put it this way. Perhaps it is a good topic but wrong forum if you want discourse. Posters in this forum tend to focus on the nuts and bolts of how retirement topics apply to daily living and planning. They may visit forums with greater controversy but for many of us this forum is like a local one just focused on retirement.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Let me put it this way. Perhaps it is a good topic but wrong forum if you want discourse. Posters in this forum tend to focus on the nuts and bolts of how retirement topics apply to daily living and planning. They may visit forums with greater controversy but for many of us this forum is like a local one just focused on retirement.
OIC, that explains it. As a new member, I'm not yet fully aware of the protocol. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
OIC, that explains it. As a new member, I'm not yet fully aware of the protocol. Thanks.
I wouldn't say it is protocol but more the way things play out. There are some of us in here who during the election were on opposite sides with heated debate. Most of us stay away from the politics of it all just so we can have relaxed conversation free of trying to win political points. Same thing happens when there is an age difference amongst posters on this and other topics that could be controversial. Many of us are focused on our life span and not 40 plus years out.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,621,301 times
w/o unions the war between bosses and workers is already decided.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,329 posts, read 8,678,185 times
With corporate America dropping defined pension benefits, something has to be done to keep S.S. Solvent, We can say "You must save for retirement" all we want, but there are a majority of young people out there who either can't or won't save enough. At least with S.S. they are saving a percentage of thier income through the goverment, it might not be the best plan, but it bets the hell out of nothing, which alot of them would be left with, then we would just have all elderly on welfare or some other social program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement