Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 AM

462 posts, read 1,008,781 times

Advertisements

I have no family aside from a cousin in Houston (and of course, my husband). How do you make sure that you are always covered as you get older and additionally, making sure you retire to an area that has a supportive community to it. We are attracted to north central New Mexico... though I have read that Albuquerque has some crime issues. I'd love to live in Santa Fe but the costs are going to be too high for us (we'd rather lease a house with a backyard for our labrador). It would work fine if we wanted to lease a condo.

We're currently in Eastern NM awaiting dh retirement. We're also looking at Prescott AZ, Colorado Springs CO and the far north communities outside of Austin TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 03:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
What do mean by "covered"? Insurance? Social ties?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
I have no family aside from a cousin in Houston (and of course, my husband). How do you make sure that you are always covered as you get older and additionally, making sure you retire to an area that has a supportive community to it. We are attracted to north central New Mexico... though I have read that Albuquerque has some crime issues. I'd love to live in Santa Fe but the costs are going to be too high for us (we'd rather lease a house with a backyard for our labrador). It would work fine if we wanted to lease a condo.

We're currently in Eastern NM awaiting dh retirement. We're also looking at Prescott AZ, Colorado Springs CO and the far north communities outside of Austin TX.
Just because people are related is no guarantee they would be of any use to you if you needed assistance; so you need not worry about not having family.

Support groups are people who care, friends/neighbors....and am not really sure why you want to leave the area you're currently living in...Do you have friends living close by now?

If you do decide to relocate, you'd need to foster new friendships. Not sure of your lifestyle; but there are various ways to meet people: church, volunteering, local senior groups, or just meeting your neighbors. Although I realize not all neighbors can be of much help if they aren't interested.

Have you considered moving into a retirement community? Most offer very good services and support. They can be expensive; so that is to be considered as well based on your retirement financial situation.

There are many who have chosen one of the Sun City communities in AZ as they are age restricted and offer support/services to the residents. And since the residents are mostly retired, they'd certainly understand and appreciate your concerns.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
I would start looking at over 55 communities.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:03 AM

462 posts, read 1,008,781 times
Thank you Katie45 and rjm1cc. I guess I was wondering if anyone (or knew anyone) that had been "there" and been able to go to an area and were happy. We are in an area at present where I have friends though not close friends; we're in a very small committee and moved here 5 years ago for a promotion. I have friendly acquaintances here but not what I would call close friends. I have a close friend who I've known for 15 years who retired to Henderson NV and certainly I'd like to go there but husband naysays it. We like the weather of NM and am pondering moving to far north Albuquerque ... (Rio Rancho close to Bernalillo... which has an over 55 community... unfortunately the communities houses are over $200,000 . over our retirement budget) or we could go to Austin TX (far north communities there of which one is in Georgetown TX & has a Del Web and is affordable; however, it is humid there). Austin is convenient to where cousin lives in Houston. I just have to wonder if one gets old and sick and alone, what then?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
We have lived in our condo for more than ten years now and our HOA fees have more than doubled - just something to consider when thinking about condo life. We can't wait to sell and move to a place where we decide what to do and when. I have heard health care is going up considerably in the near future so we are working at keeping as many of our expenses "fixed" as possible. We have a number of residents in this condo who do not care about dog leash laws and the Association seems to like accepting all the liabilities that brings. Just another thing to consider when looking at condo life.

Prescot is nice but like everywhere else, check out the flood zones before you sign on the dotted lines.

My husband has family all over the country but I don't have many people left. I think it is a little more difficult to make new friends today as computers keep us inside now. Also, I have found that some of the older people I do like, aren't able to get out and about as much so their time is also limited. Where ever we end up, and boy am I looking, I want to be able to take college level classes and have a mixed age group to associate with. Today, I love to jump on the train and spend the day in San Francisco so that will be hard act to follow. Too bad this area is so expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement