Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times

Advertisements

go to fl,55+ manufactured home(trailer) parks are going cheap 3-5 k ,lot rent for trailer $400.-$600. a month,try to find a person who will share the lot rent with you.
as for me I have a nephew who has kids and needs a place to stay while visiting the theme parks in central fl, and a haven from snow a week or two during the winter......I enjoy the company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Default Snowbirding with pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Hi,
Just wondering. Has anyone tried the snowbird route with pets; either dogs or cats. Did you just move them with you and how did you do this? Thanks
I fly from WI to NV with one cat and plan to do the reverse next June. Check with your airline if you're planning to fly with a pet. Some are allowed in the cabin with you if in an approved carrier. There is also a special compartment in the cargo hold for pets -- pressurized and temperature controlled. Certificate of health within 10 days of travel is needed. Charges of $150 exceeded my ticket price! Pretty traumatic the first time but will be come routine after a while.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM

51 posts, read 202,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Hi,
Just wondering. Has anyone tried the snowbird route with pets; either dogs or cats. Did you just move them with you and how did you do this? Thanks
We have a cat that we take back and forth with us. It's not much of a problem since we drive. However we do take 2 days to make the trip since the cat won't eat / drink / use the litter box while we're traveling. We've found that nearly every hotel / motel alongside the highways will allow pets.

MOST of our snowbirding friends have dogs, (seems to be a common stand in after the kids moved out), and they fly / drive with them. The pet becomes a snowbird too!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 PM

51 posts, read 202,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
our plan is to use our pa home as a base from april to nov and then rent someplace different , furnished , every year down south.

Mathjak, here's my idea. I think colleges and universities should open their dorms and cafeterias over the summer. Retirees, snowbirds, etc could rent a dorm room for 2 or 3 months, get a cafeteria pass if they want, attend classes (or not), explore the area. It'd be a revenue stream that doesn't exist for them now, and folks like us could pick just about anyplace in the US and go spend the summer there.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:28 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,976 times
I usually go somewhere warm every winter. I just rent a furnished condo and get a rental car for the time I'm there. It gives me the freedom to pick a different place each winter.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 AM

240 posts, read 267,879 times
Hi,
Thank you for your responses regarding pets and snowbirding. I guess it is manageable. Like you said, the first time would be the hardest. That is why I am giving this alot of thought. I am still working so I have time to think about it. I have also heard of airline that flies "pets only" so that they don't have to fly cargo.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 17,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I am wondering how it would work out to be a snowbird. Snowbirding is when you live in a place that is cold during winter, so you go south for the winter. I've seen it called sunbirding too.

Does anyone do this?

I am trying to think how it would be done. Would you own 2 homes or just find a furnished place to rent? You wouldn't want to move your furniture everytime you went south so there must be a way to do this.
I live in S. Florida (my primary residence) and the poconos, six and six. No income tax in Florida, so I'll keep my primary there unless things change. I've been doing this since age 47. I'm 51. I have homes in both places. Both ae paid off.

I save a lot on energy bills and, of course mortagage payments. Both of my homes are modest. One is in a modest gated community. The other is not. If one can work it out work and income wise, it's actually cheaper than living in one place year round. I use ooma phone service. It's only 120 per year and I use the same phone number at both homes. I save about 1k a year on phone service with ooma. I have lawn service in Fl that cost me little as jobs are scarce and people will work for less. The house in Pa needs no lawn service when I'm not there. I do it myself when I am.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:13 PM

53 posts, read 193,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissydada View Post
I live in S. Florida (my primary residence) and the poconos, six and six. No income tax in Florida, so I'll keep my primary there unless things change. I've been doing this since age 47. I'm 51. I have homes in both places. Both ae paid off.

I save a lot on energy bills and, of course mortagage payments. Both of my homes are modest. One is in a modest gated community. The other is not. If one can work it out work and income wise, it's actually cheaper than living in one place year round. I use ooma phone service. It's only 120 per year and I use the same phone number at both homes. I save about 1k a year on phone service with ooma. I have lawn service in Fl that cost me little as jobs are scarce and people will work for less. The house in Pa needs no lawn service when I'm not there. I do it myself when I am.
I am going to be living 7 months in Florida and 5 months in Ohio! I amtrying to estimate how much my electricity and/or gas bills would be in each state. Any ideas?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 12,746 times
We have a dog "Dee Ohh Gee" a 16 lb Shi-sui & a Persian-Hymalian, she's 20 and travel like a Prinsas. We go back & forth between a little farm town just North of Great Falls MT & San Felipe, Baja, Mexico. We go down in March & October and stay 2 or 3 months.
We have kids & Gran Kids up here & along the way so it's fun.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 9,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
I usually go somewhere warm every winter. I just rent a furnished condo and get a rental car for the time I'm there. It gives me the freedom to pick a different place each winter.
PghREA if you dont mind would you say how much you pay per month, or whatever, for a car. We are trying to find a decent deal for a month in AZ but the prices are around $900 and I am not talking about renting from the airport rental desks there.

Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement