Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:40 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No just a response to another poster based on the current status of the trust fund. Just a reaction to the numbers as they currently exist. Are you fixated with me?
No, you were responding to my posts. Have a good new year anyway, Tuborg. I'm not anti-wealth. I hope you continue to prosper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So who will support 30 million Baby Boomers when Social Security ends, or will they just be left to starve in the streets
NO I was responding to Boompa. My post is even with this quote from him. Scroll back.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Or as I prefer Thank God for the opportunities I have had and taken advantage of that have helped create inter generational mobility for me and my family.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

That along with The Lord helps those who help themselves are both of great importance. So yes the Lord has given me opportunities and I and my family have taken advantage of them. The Lord has given opportunities to others also. Some have and some haven't taken advantage of them.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
NO I was responding to Boompa. My post is even with this quote from him. Scroll back.
The individual postings are open to comment by anyone in the forum. You could have ignored my previous posts but you didn't, you felt a need to critique my statements. I can comment on any statement you make, even if it's aimed at someone else.
Your posts are there for ALL to read and comment on, not just those you prefer.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i thought that the quality of this article was on-par with what i normally read in USA Today.
So it's not true?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The individual postings are open to comment by anyone in the forum. You could have ignored my previous posts but you didn't, you felt a need to critique my statements. I can comment on any statement you make, even if it's aimed at someone else.
Your posts are there for ALL to read and comment on, not just those you prefer.
I never said I hadn't responded to any of your posts it was that particular one. We are talking apples and oranges. You are concerned about the politics of it all and I am focused on financial security. Feel free to comment, just realize we are not necessarily approaching the same concept the same way. I am in my sixties and this is my financial reality. Don't know about you. I have realities to continue to plan for. Your investments are concentrated/diversified how?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I never said I hadn't responded to any of your posts it was that particular one. We are talking apples and oranges. You are concerned about the politics of it all and I am focused on financial security. Feel free to comment, just realize we are not necessarily approaching the same concept the same way. I am in my sixties and this is my financial reality. Don't know about you. I have realities to continue to plan for. Your investments are concentrated/diversified how?
I'm in your boat..I said I'm not anti-wealth or investing. I'm pro-incorporation as a way to do business. I'm only anti-plutocracy (RULE by class). It's really simple.
Foreign countries are practicing protectionism for their industries and we're not. That's the "global market" as it is now, and which you embrace as "the reality".
What happens to your investments if we do as they do? Politics will affect your income.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 01-01-2011 at 12:05 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I'm in your boat..I said I'm not anti-wealth or investing. I'm pro-incorporation as a way to do business. I'm only anti-plutocracy (RULE by class or corporation). It's really simple.
I understand where you are coming from. I know what a plutocracy was having been a Political Science major at one time. Your concerns have validity but accepting their role in society is probably key to investing/financial management. Ride their coattails and verify not trust. Corporations work for their own best interest and hopefully shareholders. If you are a shareholder and they are using capital to invest in your best interest ride it. If they are holding large amounts of cash and not paying dividends hmmmmm! As with all things it is a matter of risk and tolerance of their corporate culture and you.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
It will be there but perhaps with reduced benefits for those at the very tail end at a very old age. It is the generation after us.
But the Boomers are an anomaly, the pig in the snake. There is no reason for a long term solution since they will all be dead and the percentage of seniors will return to normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement