Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 PM
ifa ifa started this thread

294 posts, read 445,697 times

Advertisements

I had a meeting at work the other day with a financial counselor, to talk about retirement. I told him my plan, and asked him if it sounded crazy, and he said no. I am 58 now and I want to retire from my job in 3 years, when I'm 62. At that time, I will be eligible for inexpensive health insurance for the rest of my life, through my employer. So that means I would not have to buy expensive health insurance while waiting to be eligible for Medicare at age 66. I would get about $14k a year from Social Security. I could get about $21k a year if I bought $300k worth of immediate annuities (depending on what interest rates are in 3 years). So my base income would be about $35k a year, and I would still have about $200k left to invest. I could also work part-time or freelance if necessary.

I currently make about $75k a year, take home less than $50, and live on half of that. So my $35k retirement income would be a lot more than what I live on now. I would have extra money for emergencies and expenses. And I could probably do some kind of work, although preferably not full time.

I definitely want to do this. One reason is that I am afraid of age discrimination. Another reason is that I love having free time to spend on the things I love doing and am interested in. I like to work, but it takes up too much of my time. So I have been good about saving. I have a good salary and I could have been living in a big house and taking expensive vacations. But having free time is what matters to me, so I have been living simply.

Well the financial counselor thought it made sense. It makes sense to me. I definitely feel I need to get free of my job asap.

I like to work and I like what I do at my job. But as I get older, my co-workers get younger and that worries me. I feel like I belong elsewhere. I do not want to feel stuck there any longer than I have to be. That's 3 years. I want to be somewhere else, whether working or just enjoying life.

I have started counting how many more Mondays I have to be in that office.

This is my plan, and I don't think it is crazy. I thought I would post it here and see if anyone agrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default Good plan, and a minor correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifa View Post
I had a meeting at work the other day with a financial counselor, to talk about retirement. I told him my plan, and asked him if it sounded crazy, and he said no. I am 58 now and I want to retire from my job in 3 years, when I'm 62. At that time, I will be eligible for inexpensive health insurance for the rest of my life, through my employer. So that means I would not have to buy expensive health insurance while waiting to be eligible for Medicare at age 66. I would get about $14k a year from Social Security. I could get about $21k a year if I bought $300k worth of immediate annuities (depending on what interest rates are in 3 years). So my base income would be about $35k a year, and I would still have about $200k left to invest. I could also work part-time or freelance if necessary.

I currently make about $75k a year, take home less than $50, and live on half of that. So my $35k retirement income would be a lot more than what I live on now. I would have extra money for emergencies and expenses. And I could probably do some kind of work, although preferably not full time.

I definitely want to do this. One reason is that I am afraid of age discrimination. Another reason is that I love having free time to spend on the things I love doing and am interested in. I like to work, but it takes up too much of my time. So I have been good about saving. I have a good salary and I could have been living in a big house and taking expensive vacations. But having free time is what matters to me, so I have been living simply.

Well the financial counselor thought it made sense. It makes sense to me. I definitely feel I need to get free of my job asap.

I like to work and I like what I do at my job. But as I get older, my co-workers get younger and that worries me. I feel like I belong elsewhere. I do not want to feel stuck there any longer than I have to be. That's 3 years. I want to be somewhere else, whether working or just enjoying life.

This is my plan, and I don't think it is crazy. I thought I would post it here and see if anyone agrees.
Your plan sounds very sensible to me. The minor correction would be what I bolded; one becomes eligible for Medicare at age 65, not 66. You may be confusing it with the Social Security full retirement age, which is 66 for people in your age bracket.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 PM

30,519 posts, read 16,213,477 times
sounds good as far as the financial aspect goes but you seem a little vague about what you want to do when you retire. You might start thinking about that-maybe develop some interests, or hobbies. Make plans to travel or take classes. you've got the money part down-now how about the 'you' part?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Sounds like a good plan to me.
The income and healthcare is covered.
What to do with all that free time though..that's the next thing to work on.

If you don't need the money there's volunteer work in schools, libraries, hospitals.
Keeps ya busy and you can meet up with others having a common interest.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:

The cynical side of me asks if the financial counselor is also selling you the annuity. If so I would have concerns since the annuity payout is dependent on interst rates yet he gave you a baseline payout that could be less? You will know what those rates are if you are buying the annuity then and you will know if it still works. If it is a variable rate annuity and rates fall will you still be able to make it etc etc. At any rate best of luck.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Immediate Annuities - Instant Annuity Quote Calculator.

There's an annuity calculator you can play with. This is for fixed annuities.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 AM

Thanks everyone! My plan regarding immediate fixed annuities is to buy about 6 of them, $50k each, all from different triple A rated insurance companies. No, the financial counselor wasn't trying to sell me anything, and he agreed that I should buy most of them from other companies.

As for what I'll do with my time when I'm retired -- I have that planned out also. I have many interests and hobbies that I love. I have been thinking ahead with that also, and have been getting involved in social things and volunteer work, so I won't be isolated.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Don't forget taxes on that 35k retirement income. But since you currently live on 25k, you shouldn't have any problems.

Quote:
I hear ya!
I have a countdown calender on my computer that gives months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds remaining

Last edited by Gandalara; 03-06-2011 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: punctuation fix

Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Don't forget taxes on that 35k retirement income. But since you currently live on 25k, you shouldn't have any problems.

About how much would the income tax be on $35k? I would not be paying SS anymore, at least.

I hear ya!
I have a countdown calender on my computer that gives months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds remaining
I need to get that calendar. I want to count the seconds!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
I need to get that calendar. I want to count the seconds!
Check your DM's, I sent you the link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement