Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,228 times

Advertisements

With most of the long-term unemployed being over 50, I think that the early retirement age, should be lowered to 52. Why wait until you're 62, to start collecting Social Security. If you're a taxpayer, and have paid Social Security taxes for decades, then shouldn't you have the option to start collect Social Security benefits, at 52?

Since age discrimination in the workplace is so widespread, and with older workers, having such a hard time finding employment now, then lowering the retirement age to 52, might be a viable solution. Feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions, on this issue.

Last edited by artwomyn; 10-29-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
With most of the long-term unemployed being over 50, I think that the early retirement age, should be lowered to 52. Why wait until you're 62, to start collecting Social Security. If you're a taxpayer, and have paid Social Security taxes for decades, then shouldn't you have the option to start collect Social Security benefits, at 52?

Since age discrimination in the workplace is so widespread, and with older workers, having such a hard time finding employment now, then lowering the retirement age to 52, might be a viable solution. Feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions, on this issue.
I want the IRA and 401K withdrawal up be a little earlier then 59.5. I would not mind SS at 52 though. My plan to retire is at 45 anyways.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:53 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Default Dream on

When you consider that the Social Security system has solvency problems right now, as currently structured, then your proposal is unrealistic in the extreme. Just because you may have paid in for decades at age 52 (for example) doesn't mean the money is there for you to start drawing. After all, just think what your statistical life expectancy is at age 52 - you would likely be receiving benefits for close to 30 years!

Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
62 and 65-66 is not a retirement age;its just when you can start drwing SS. Like 591/2 on a IRA without penalty.Retriement age is whenever you can afford it really.But to allow you to draw SS earlier as stated would just creat more of a problem than SS has now.There is nothing stopping a person from planning and retiring at 52;I did.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 PM

291 posts, read 452,231 times
Default Not So Fuzzy Math

If your full retirement age is 66 (1943-1954) and you decide to retire early at 62 your benefit amount is reduced by 0.520% per month (48 months) which is why your benefit amount gets cut by 25%. If you are in that same age bracket and you (hypotetically) retired at 52 (168 months) your benefit amount would be reduced by 87%, leaving you with 13% of your full benefit amount to support you in your "golden years". Sure you want that?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I want the IRA and 401K withdrawal up be a little earlier then 59.5. I would not mind SS at 52 though. My plan to retire is at 45 anyways.
The law already allows you to make withdrawals from your 401(k) prior to 59 1/2 without penalty; you just are limited in how much you can take out each year. They are referred to as 72(t) distributions. For example, if you retire at 45, you can begin taking monthly withdrawals at that time based on your life expectancy. You can Google 72t for more detailed info if you are interested.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 PM

183 posts, read 352,040 times
IF Social Security were solvent, and IF SS were driven by member contributions and careful investments, and IF SS was an opt in program, then maybe. As it stands now it is none of those. It is a transfer of wealth from those that earn high wages, pay high SS taxes, but whose benefits are capped to those that earn little, pay low SS taxes and whose benefit is not capped, at least as far as the benefit is based on their contributions.

SS was a noble, if misguided, idea but it has been corrupted by politicians over the years who have used it to pay for pet programs and engage in social engineering. I firmly believe that a well run program, protected from being raided by Congress where each member has at least some control of their own contributions is workable and, more importantly, fair.

But it is what it is. Those in the system are stuck and hopefully had the wisdom not to believe that SS could deliver on all the vaunted promises made by politicians. The way the system is run, no it is not possible or likely the retirement age will go anywhere but up.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
It is a transfer of wealth from those that earn high wages, pay high SS taxes, but whose benefits are capped to those that earn little, pay low SS taxes and whose benefit is not capped, at least as far as the benefit is based on their contributions.
You are aware that contributions are capped as well as benefits, aren't you?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
But it is what it is. Those in the system are stuck and hopefully had the wisdom not to believe that SS could deliver on all the vaunted promises made by politicians. The way the system is run, no it is not possible or likely the retirement age will go anywhere but up.
I am unaware of any "vaunted promises" made by politicians concerning Social Security. The benefits and their calculations and the rules surrounding them are totally transparent, established by law, and readily available to the general public. The benefits have been paid like clockwork for around 75 years now. Exactly what has been promised but not delivered? Nothing.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
the fact is you pay like clock work,but SS is a pyramid scheme and we are nearing the collapse of the pyramid. g.w. bush tried to privatize SS I would have felt safer with a private business controlling my money than politicians.
my mother paid into SS 37+ years and died at 57 years old she never saw a penny of her SS nest egg and neither did any of her relatives where as if it was placed into a IRA it would have been .left for the family.
I haven't paid enough into SS to collect and I am doing just fine without it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement