Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

This seems to be a big trend for retirees but I'm not sure if most still have a house somewhere that they plan to go back to full time when health dictates or what the long term plan is for most who RV entirely or mostly full-time.
I guess adult children figure in for most people but I have none so I would be most interested in what other childfree types who RV are doing and planning although I'm interested in everyone's experiences and thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Tons of them out there, but they are on the RV forum here:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing

Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
This is a very active 'fulltimers' group with good coaching (and D-I-Y classes)Escapees.com (http://www.escapees.com/Wannabes/Home.asp - broken link).

I have several friends doing it.

Most are without a home, unless you are fairly well off (cash and cash flows)...(options I have seen)
  • A few have kids (or friends) living on rural lots that include permanent hookups and a shelter for the 'Fulltimers'.
  • Some own RV lots that they return to <$10k w/ fees when
  • Another rents a LARGE apartment ($400/ month) above one of my friends workshop. They come home in summer (Canada / Vancouver Island) to have a large garden and enjoy the cool and quiet climate.
  • Many work as volunteers at State and National Parks (free RV lot, + small stipend) Often they move around to 2-3 parks / yr (My preference)
  • Some keep an inexpensive house w/ RV parking, and come home on occasion.
  • I will have a few rural places near airports that are rented out, (self supporting) but with a shop / apartment / RV hookups for me. (I often travel via Air or 50 mpg StealthRabbit,, My RV only gets 20 mpg )

Storing JUNK (heirlooms) ... that is the problem for me. I feel I can decorate a few apartments across USA and eventually I will settle in an area I like. (and can afford)

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
We have an RV, but also a home. Part of our family is near the house, grandchildren and close friends. We enjoy RVing, but also enjoy being home.

We have friends that travel three months out of the year to various places.
Others who keep their RV in FL all year and spend six months out of the year there. They also have a house up north.
Most of those we know who RV spend 6-8 weeks in the south during the winter months.
A man we met RV's full time and spends his time traveling amoung his four children who are scattered all over the US.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Well I have lots of questions one of the major ones....seems like most campgrounds these days are pretty close. Not much privacy, lots of people with tons of stuff. What's the variety of campgrounds out there? How much do different ones cost a night?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Nightly rates are very spendy (~$30-$50 for 50 Amp) ~ $25 in State parks and US Army Corp sites. ~ free if you boondock on federal land. Boondocking (Free Camping)

Monthly site rates in established park seem to range from $150 (middle of no-where) to $600 center of somewhere. $300 is pretty average for an 'average' park. RV parks are often ZONED for transient visitors, thus the need to move every 7, 14, or 29 days. Many parks then require you to be 'Out-of-park" for a minimum # of days.

I use this site a lot while 'enroute'
Free Campgrounds for RVs

Many fulltimers will have a membership with a camping club such as
The original 50% Discount Camping Club - Passport America Discount Camping Club
Discount Camping Clubs

and a "platinum" membership in a resort as Thousand Trails - America's Finest Outdoor Getaways, Membership RV Parks and Campgrounds or similar
(You can get these MUCH cheaper in secondary market) ~ $1200 instead of $12,000. Annual fees can be plenty ($600-$1000), thus folks sell them when they no longer use them (often a limit of 3 sales allowed). The older contracts are much more liberal for # days you can stay.

More help Links to RV Boondocking Resources

Do you have an idea of your desired regions or type of 'Rig'? That can often dictate where you can stay (some parks are very restrictive as to 'age' / size / condition of your rig). Some rigs are so big, you need to stay in certain spots (often a 'parking-lot' type park).

Security, connectivity, and your travel habits will dictate also.

I suspect there will be less RVs on the road if we see sustained $5/gal fuel. Many only get 7-10 mpg (some less). I will guess folks will be more keen on going to a central region and traveling by econo car.

Basically most parks I have seen are pretty tight, excluding some State parks in Id and OR, and Providential parks in Canada (usually very nice). One of my friends shipped their small RV to Europe, where they have kept it and traveled for 3 yrs (flying back to Canada every so often). Lots of fun, parking headache. (I prefer using a bicycle, motorcycle, or the train while in Europe) Tolls alone are very expensive.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Wow, those rates are even higher than I thought. Nightly rates, gas.....don't think I'd be able to afford a house too.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Giesela Wow, those rates are even higher than I thought. Nightly rates, gas.....don't think I'd be able to afford a house too.
Today 05:29 PM

Yes it can be very expensive when you have the expense of a house too. The RV life is very appealing. Especially if you can afford to keep a home as well, and getting 7 mi to the gal. crossing the country doesn't turn your hair grey.

Doing it full time (void) of a home can be economical. There are some interesting blogs by people who have chosen this life style, and do so as economically as they possibly can. You either stay put in one place for at least a month or more at a time, stay in some state or federal parks (much prettier) and learn how to boon dock and don't put on a lot of miles - if you want to get your costs down. But to me, RV retiring is like paying rent while retired, only RE taxes, electric and water are included in your rent. You still have maintenance as you do on a home, insurance, and TV & Internet costs if you want those things on a consistent bases. I think unless you do at least 75% boon docking, your costs can be higher than living in a paid for small house (provided you have very reasonable real estate taxes.) On the other hand. If you don't have a paid for house, but could afford to buy a good used RV, then that could be a cheaper alternative for you.

I would disagree with the average monthly costs for full hook up RV Parks. At $35 a night RV Parks, you are looking at a lot more than $300 for monthly rent. I think $600 would be considered more average. Even state parks with partial or no hook ups charge $15 to $20 a night, some more. But there are bargains to be found. You just have to find them and they have to be on your route.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
It was my dream after retirement but with today's economy and gas cost that dream is gone forever.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well I have lots of questions one of the major ones....seems like most campgrounds these days are pretty close. Not much privacy, lots of people with tons of stuff. What's the variety of campgrounds out there? How much do different ones cost a night?
We have paid anything from NOTHING (Wal-Mart) to $80/night (FL Keys), depending on the location.

Friends who leave their 5th wheel in FL all year, pay about $5000/year. They spend six months down there.

Others "buy a pad" in a specific park, which costs can go $30K - $90K.

You can buy a "parkside" model in a park but you don't own the land so you have to pay land rent (FL Keys $550+)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement