Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM

231 posts, read 495,246 times

Advertisements

Asking for advice if this strategy will work: Nov. 2012 wife age 62 begins benefits on her account, at apx $760 month. At the same time, husband (age 65 1/2) draws on wifes benefits at 50% rate. Then at age 66 husband "files & suspends" on his account and wife then draws 50% of his benefits, which is more than before. Husband then files for his benefits at age 70, which lets his benefits grow at 8% year from age 66 to age 70.
Comments welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
im pretty sure once your wife files early she can not re-file later on for the higher rate of half yours if she filed first..... i believe thats written in stone.

only the spouse who didnt file for their own can re-file later on after taking half the spouses benefit. by the way did you know if your wife files early you get at 66 not 1/2 her early benefit but 1/2 her full retirement benefit even though she filed early.thats like 3/4 of her full you get.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
I wouldn't bother soliciting opinions when the only absolutely reliable source on SS issues is your local SS office. You/we/taxpayers have spent some really serious money on SSA's customer service function, by all accounts it works quite well. Try it.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
I wouldn't bother soliciting opinions when the only absolutely reliable source on SS issues is your local SS office. You/we/taxpayers have spent some really serious money on SSA's customer service function, by all accounts it works quite well. Try it.
I went to local office and agent had never heard of the "file & suspend" strategy! Assume CD members most likely know as much, if not more. When it's time I will visit 3 or 4 different offices to see if I receive the same answers to my questions prior to filing.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
I went to local office and agent had never heard of the "file & suspend" strategy! Assume CD members most likely know as much, if not more. When it's time I will visit 3 or 4 different offices to see if I receive the same answers to my questions prior to filing.
That is a surprise. The multiple office check is certainly a good idea but you might want to also query the office manager at the local office as well. SSA spends a ton of money on training and its unusual to get an unknowledgeable staffer.

I personally don't know the answer to your question but SSA darn well should! Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
Asking for advice if this strategy will work: Nov. 2012 wife age 62 begins benefits on her account, at apx $760 month. At the same time, husband (age 65 1/2) draws on wifes benefits at 50% rate. Then at age 66 husband "files & suspends" on his account and wife then draws 50% of his benefits, which is more than before. Husband then files for his benefits at age 70, which lets his benefits grow at 8% year from age 66 to age 70.
Comments welcome
That dawg won't hunt.

Call the SSA 800#.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im pretty sure once your wife files early she can not re-file later on for the higher rate of half yours if she filed first..... i believe thats written in stone.

only the spouse who didnt file for their own can re-file later on after taking half the spouses benefit. by the way did you know if your wife files early you get at 66 not 1/2 her early benefit but 1/2 her full retirement benefit even though she filed early.thats like 3/4 of her full you get.
this is correct as i said, i looked it up. once your wife files for her own she cannot switch back to yours later . .

only the spouse at 66 has the option of taking their own or their spouses and letting their own ride. once anyone takes their own the game is over.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM

mathjak107: Just for grins, I called another S/S office just now and after explaining this, was advised that wife can indeed receive "additional" benefits from 50% of my benefit, if it is more than her sole benefit. Hopefully, that is the case. Will have to check again with accountant to verify.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM

YES SHE CAN BUT ONLY IF SHE DIDNT FILE FOR HER OWN FIRST.....any time you file and dont immeadiately suspend it your locked into your own .
as an example you file at 62... she can file for 1/2 yours or her own which ever is bigger...

they mis-understood that she filed for her own at 62 and collected her own benefit and then wants to switch to yours after the fact at 66..
see below
"Social Security Spouse Claim and Suspend Strategy
Another technique for maximizing total Social Security retirement benefits received by a married couple is to use the “claim and suspend” strategy. This strategy can work if you can afford to wait until age 70 to claim all of your benefits.

The basic claim and suspend method involves the following steps:

1. One spouse claims his or her Social Security benefit. The other spouse signs up for the spousal benefit. The first spouse then immediately notifies Social Security that he or she wants to “suspend” his or benefit. This causes the primary benefit to stop but the spousal benefit continues.

During the time that the primary benefit is suspended, the amount of the benefit will increase by 8 percent a year, until age 70. The spouse then “unsuspends” and collects the larger benefit.

Again, you can use this strategy only if you are at full retirement age and have never collected early benefits."

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-11-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
So, if at 66 I file for my own benefit, my wife who would be 62 could file for 1/2 my benefit. Then, at 66 file for her own - full retirement age - benefits, which would be larger than the half of mine she previously took. Does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement