Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
? You had one kid or you didn't? What is a very 5-year marriage? (Very distant?). Little contact still doesn't mean childless. Just want to understand the post.
Sorry, I left out the word young.20 and 17 is just too young to get married. She told me she Was prego.when she was not.You just don't know people so well both of you are so in the beginning. She found out she was Gay too, but I never knew. Yes I paid child support for a long time, but lost contact when my job took me away. I did try. He is about 55 never married and has been into street drugs since he came to me at 14 I never knew, but I was willing to tackle the problem with private school, counciling, etc.... His Mother came out and "rescued" Him,,,,that's when we went wrong, so, I never wanted to be in a mess like that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This thread made me think of this video -

I Guess You'll Do - YouTube
Yes.
I enjoyed this. Thank you.

It seems to indicate that most of our aspirations are predictable and similar as most of the other animals. Some do break out, though.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Was talking to my brother about both of us being in a loveless marriage and raising kids...Came to the realization...if at 62 - I had chosen to be childless...My life would not be what it is today...I have a FAMILY...that I love and who loves me...I protected the kids when they were young- and they will protect me when I am old and feeble..kids are insurance...You can be old and rich and that does not guarantee safety and security ...You NEED a loving advocate...You can be a millionaire and that is not going to ensure that the hired nurse will change your diapers..
It is the greatest job of a parent to raise a child to leave the home and be independent. It is selfish to have them to serve you at old age. I find that many children who do behave that way have little that they've made on their own(maybe from shoddy parenting) and so are looking for an inheritance.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
With my parents out of the picture and my siblings living far away or estranged I feel like I have no more family, apart from DH. I've never regreted not having children but with my parents suddenly gone, I'm feeling like an orphan. Most of my siblings have children and so the beat goes on for them. But my very elderly parents were the heart of the family, the planet we all circled, and with them "gone" I'm wondering if I made wrong choices back then, not having produced my own family. Of course, having kids doesn't mean they will turn out well or be living near you when you are older. I'm not even talking about them taking care of you when you are feeble. Anyone ever be hit with this realization?
Still pleased with being childless by choice as an elder?

Y E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO regrets especially when I see how many family problems some seniors have to deal with when all that garbage should be over with and they should be enjoying their OWN life.

And no regrets when I see how the world is changing...glad I didn't force anyone to enter it..

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Still pleased with being childless by choice as an elder?

Y E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO regrets especially when I see how many family problems some seniors have to deal with when all that garbage should be over with and they should be enjoying their OWN life.

And no regrets when I see how the world is changing...glad I didn't force anyone to enter it..
All true, for you....but, " how the World is changing" has been an old saw for many a generation .Real "liven" seems to start around 30 for many of us, much after that having children becomes further from our minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement