Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times

Advertisements

I realize there are several threads on this topic but I want to ask about one topic- how are you dealing with healthcare. Is it satisfactory or do you return to the States for most care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
That is a really interesting question, and not just for Americans, but for Canadians as well. I too would like to hear some answers. In my province, we can't be out of province for more than 7 months a year and maintain our government health care (OHIP.) And with supplementary travel health insurance, most plans bring you home for serious medical events, at least from the US where health care costs are sky-high.

I'm thinking in various parts of Asia, medical care is good quality, and a lot cheaper than the US, with language not an issue, so if you were living there, your insurers would be happy to let you stay there and pay. But I'm just speculating.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
At one time I had thought of retiring to Baja in Mexico about 75 miles south of the border because it would be easy to get to San Diego for medical, especially my husband is a vet and they have a huge VA hospital there. Unfortunately the Mexican drug lords have made me change my mind

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM

376 posts, read 652,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I realize there are several threads on this topic but I want to ask about one topic- how are you dealing with healthcare. Is it satisfactory or do you return to the States for most care?
I have researched this question a great deal. In my case, I'm planning to retire in a couple of years at age 57 and won't have Medicare for another 8 years. Hence, I've been researching this issue extensively including the fact that it would cost about $1500/mo in the US for good health insurance for my wife and I until we hit medicare age.

I've been working overseas for the last 10 years and have asked my friends that have decided to move overseas their opinions on this. Most of the guys have retired in Thailand, Philipines, Malaysia and Mexico. Most are satified with the medical care but a few have said they would return to the US for serious issues. All of these countries have adequate health care available. But the best equipment and medicines for such things as cancer treatment are generally only available in the larger cities.

Hopefully your question will generate a lot of replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement