Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 AM

938 posts, read 1,228,485 times

Advertisements

Yeah I Know!!!! There's bunches. I officially become 65 next month. I am taken down by nostalgia. I was thinking of some funny things said and the one that sicks happened as follows: Norm, our son, and Sherry and I were visiting her parents home. There's generally bunches of kids. We had just moved from a twin to a single in a new neighborhood. Norm was getting really restless and finally it got to him and he rolls in ands says: "I don't have anything to do. I'd go home and play with my friends except I don't have any." It struck us funny and showed us how he really felt about the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 10,438 times
I think that relation between grandchildren and grandparents is always sweet. I liked to enjoy my time with my grandparents. I made fun with them. I think every family should take care properly of their oldest person because once upon a time they put contribution in the family.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I remmeber when one was one year old.I arrived to my sisters house where they were at. She was riding her trike around on the patio and it has one of those squeeze horns. They blew as I waljk onto the patio and said "get out of my way you jerk". I told her that wasn't very nice. She told me;"that is what mommy says when she drives".

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
I hosted a lovely 16 year old German exchange student as a 'single' Mom. I still consider her my daughter (she'll be 39 this year! Ack!), so hope this counts ...

One weekend I asked her if she wanted to drive to the desert and go to the National Date Festival out in Indio. We could watch some ostrich races, go to a rodeo, ride some rides, etc etc. Once I explained what an ostrich was (thank goodness for German-English dictionaries), she said, "Sure!"

So we're halfway there, driving down the freeway and she turns to me and says, "So, Mom. This National Date Festival. What kind of men will you meet there? Will there be any guys my age?"

I started laughing so hard I almost drove off the road

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Wasn't my child, but still funny nonetheless: I was playing cards with some girlfriends. When it was my turn to deal, I shuffled and then said to the friend on my right, "Cut the cards". Upon which, her 7-year-old son eagerly ran toward the kitchen saying, "I'll get the knife!".

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM

938 posts, read 1,228,485 times
Default National Date Festival....

Quote:
.......... "So, Mom. This National Date Festival. What kind of men will you meet there? Will there be any guys my age?"..................

I had to look it up. A celebration in Indio California celebrating the date palm harvest. Funny and Sort of flattering she knows you still have a pulse.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Also not a child or a grandchild, but a true story which happened to me just days ago. The boy is 11. Something about age had come up, can't remember what exactly.
Me: "I'm an old man, can't you tell?"
Boy: "Yes, I can tell".
Me: "How old do you think I am?"
Boy: (Thinks a minute.) "About 40".
Me: "Well, I'm 67".
Boy: (Remained silent, but with a look of astonishment as if he didn't realize anyone could be that old.)

Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
One time I was in one of those over-stuffed stores like Kmart or WalMart and a woman had her young 3 year old son in the cart across the aisle from me. Suddenly his eyes got really wide open and he asked,
"Is all this REALLY HAPPENING, MOM?"
We looked at each other across the aisle and just broke out laughing.

We had this coffee-table book called, "The People of Mau" and it had a cover picture of a native with exotic and colorful paint marks all over his face and hands. When my little Goddaughter (who was prone to felt-pen mischief) came to visit, she looked at the cover and exclaimed, "We don't do that at our house!"

Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
When our daughter turned 15, we told her she would have to get a job to help support her "wardrobe habit".
Well, she got herself a job, after school, at a local daycare.

After her first week at this little job, she came home and asked us

"Is this what YOU people do?"

Good thing for us, she is now 25 and is well on her way to becoming one of "us"

Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Don't know if it's really funny but when she was about 10, my oldest granddaughter once looked at me very seriously and said, "Grandpa, I know why you're so happy now." I asked, "Now why is that?" She responded, "'Cause you're married to Grandma ______ now and not married to Grandma _____ (her biological grandmother) anymore." She was right. Out of the mouths of babes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement