Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM

8,727 posts, read 4,998,574 times

Advertisements

DH and I are pre planning our funerals. We are going to be cremated. However, we have not decided on were we are going to be living upon retirement. Does anyone know how that would work? If we pre paid a funeral home, where we live now, would the funds transfer to another funeral home, in another state? We want the piece of mind, knowing that this is taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,664 posts, read 57,818,733 times
There are some funeral homes that are 'affiliated' for services / price sharing.

I would first contact / get advice / look into something like https://funerals.coop/

Or alternative services similar to https://www.pafuneralservices.com/

(unless you want the 'full-meal-deal-price'.)

Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM

178 posts, read 124,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Personally, I don't understand why cremation isn't universal.

I was in Greece in January. Our tour guide mentioned that due to their orthodox faith, cremation was not legal in Greece, so anyone wanting to have a relative cremated needed to 'drive the body to Bulgaria'.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 PM

88,350 posts, read 84,370,818 times
Hmm, a former neighbor's father dropped dead while walking through Garden of the Gods in Colorado with his wife. Suddenly said he didn't feel well, sat down on a bench, and died.

His body had to be transported back to New Jersey, and rather quickly, since they were Jewish and had to bury him asap. Pretty sure it was done by airplane.

In another case, the husband of a woman I know died here because they'd lived here, but his family had a burial plot in one of the Midwestern states--Indiana, IIRC. I remember she traveled out there with the body, but I can't remember if it was by train or by vehicle.

Anyway, it seems there are multiple choices of methods to transport a corpse.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,664 posts, read 57,818,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm, a former neighbor's father dropped dead while walking through Garden of the Gods in Colorado with his wife. Suddenly said he didn't feel well, sat down on a bench, and died.

His body had to be transported back to New Jersey, and rather quickly, since they were Jewish and had to bury him asap. Pretty sure it was done by airplane.

In another case, the husband of a woman I know died here because they'd lived here, but his family had a burial plot in one of the Midwestern states--Indiana, IIRC. I remember she traveled out there with the body, but I can't remember if it was by train or by vehicle.

Anyway, it seems there are multiple choices of methods to transport a corpse.
As mentioned.. Corpse travel by 'cargo', so air / rail / container (refrigerated preferred!), trucking is pretty cheap.

Was <$300 quote for a 3000 air trip for flight, but $1800 for a funeral home to pick up corpse at the airport (20 min trip)(required in the 'destination' state, but not in the 'sending' state). So... I got a free 'transit permit' and hit the road. We had a GREAT trip, went to all of the deceased favorite spots enroute.. (One more pic in Yellowstone / Tetons. Thermopolis, Mt Rushmore, Corn Palace... ) A funeral director recommended it, and it was a very HEALING time after 50 yrs of hxll. (32 with me as caregiver... no fun for either party (and no party ))

Receiving state had a whole LIST of rules of funeral which I broke MOST... They even required a Wilbert (Concrete) Vault... REALLY expensive to buy and place (2x truck to cemetery...) and concrete vaults are terrible and collapse after 50 yrs. I wanted fiberglass vault, (They last for centuries), so I swung by WY and picked one up! They helped me 'Wrap him up' using their forklift and it was just one more GREAT experience of the trip! Afton, WY / Star Valley is gorgeous during Aspen season (Sept), as was Bearlake, UT and Soda Hot Springs, ID on the way there.
Polyguard Vaults - Welcome (I got a 'last yr model for a 'close-out' price (Brown instead of blue)). What a great deal!

But the backhoe was quite a bit of fun too. (~$120 for 4 hrs) only took about 30 min for one grave plus hoisting down the casket and back filling. , so I went digging elsewhere to burn up my 'time' on the machine .

Did a military Flag Ceremony and I blew taps on the deceased' bugle (which he had played (used) at the cemetery for 30 yrs). Wonderful adventure for all!

Old 05-20-2019, 10:23 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,667,993 times
Ten years ago, having two funeral homes involved was costly but that's how it goes. We had to have two visitations and so things were more costly than just a family memorial service. The distance was drivable -- not long distance. Since then, I've moved 1000 miles farther away from the cemetery so the cost will by higher just for that.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,508,487 times
The thought of interstate transport of my corpse gives me the heebie jeebies. It's not the cost so much as the whole idea of someone putting my corpse in some kind or another container, driving it to the airport, loading it in the cargo section of a plane, then being picked up like baggage at the airport, etc.

That's one of many reasons DH & I opted for cremation.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:11 AM

8,727 posts, read 4,998,574 times
As I stated, we will be cremated, so no body being transported. Just wondering if funds could be sent from one funeral home to another. We would just like everything set, when the time comes, so loved ones won`t have to deal with it. We will be moving in retirement.....just not sure where.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:54 AM

4,841 posts, read 4,762,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
DH and I are pre planning our funerals. We are going to be cremated. However, we have not decided on were we are going to be living upon retirement. Does anyone know how that would work? If we pre paid a funeral home, where we live now, would the funds transfer to another funeral home, in another state? We want the piece of mind, knowing that this is taken care of.

There are a number of cremation societies, most organized by state because state laws differ. Here is one discussion:
https://clark.com/family-lifestyle/s...orial-society/

Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM

12,054 posts, read 10,229,572 times
the funeral home handles all that. You just fork over the cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement