Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM

55 posts, read 142,643 times

Advertisements

There are 4 of us left in the immediate family and retired. We in our 60's and parents in their late 80's. We have our family burial plots in the state of my Father and my brother. However, my Mother lives 3 states away and I do too. My husband will be buried in our state near his Mom.

With two of us living out of state, when we pass, we know our estate will be responsible for the cost to transport the casket.
With so many family members living in various states, surely this is not a rare event.

What options do we have to transport the deceased to the state of burial?

I've never heard of a funeral home offering to drive several hundred miles. I've never known of anyone using air transport, etc.
None of us want to be cremated. (That would seem to simplify the transportation of the deceased)

We're all retired and aging. The reality is that two of us will not conveniently pass away in the burial state. We're all very close, so we are all the estate, as far as that goes, so even though this will be an expense of the estate, it will still be shared by all, emotionally and financially.

Has anyone experienced this in your family, or known of such a difficult problem with a friend of yours and their loved ones, living in other states?

Ways to get the deceased to the burial state and the estimate costs.

Thanks you for sharing your thoughts or experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM

23 posts, read 51,815 times
It's not unusual at all. Basically you hire the services of two funeral homes--the state of death and the state of burial. The state of death does the certificate, etc. and then releases the body. The state of death funeral home then coordinates with the state of burial funeral home and they transport the body at a pretty high cost per mile. If it is a long distance the airlines will handle it--also pretty expensive. I've lined up several myself--a great aunt died in California and was flown back to Alabama. Weirdest one I ever did was send three Mexican Nationals who died in a house fire back to Mexico--had to go through the Mexican Consulate in New Orleans to get that lined up and the plane only flew once a week and would only carry two caskets per flight.

Not a difficult thing to arrange but it is expensive depending on the distance and, of course, the two funeral homes.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 AM

55 posts, read 142,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy1951 View Post
It's not unusual at all. Basically you hire the services of two funeral homes--the state of death and the state of burial. The state of death does the certificate, etc. and then releases the body. The state of death funeral home then coordinates with the state of burial funeral home and they transport the body at a pretty high cost per mile. If it is a long distance the airlines will handle it--also pretty expensive. I've lined up several myself--a great aunt died in California and was flown back to Alabama. Weirdest one I ever did was send three Mexican Nationals who died in a house fire back to Mexico--had to go through the Mexican Consulate in New Orleans to get that lined up and the plane only flew once a week and would only carry two caskets per flight.

Not a difficult thing to arrange but it is expensive depending on the distance and, of course, the two funeral homes.
Well, thank you for your reply.
It is more comforting now.
The distance would be about 300 miles one way.
Even $3.00 a mile which sounds high, would only be $1800 total.
A sizeable expense but it has to be a part of our planning.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenjohn View Post
Well, thank you for your reply.
It is more comforting now.
The distance would be about 300 miles one way.
Even $3.00 a mile which sounds high, would only be $1800 total.
A sizeable expense but it has to be a part of our planning.
I'd suggest you and everyone else in the family each go to a local funeral home and do pre-planning arrangements. Find a funeral home that has experience with shipping (and it IS very common).

Having this all in place ahead of time will not only give you peace of mind but will be the best gift you could ever give the rest of the family when that time comes.

(not to be cold about this, but there can also be a substantial savings if you pre-pay for some of the funeral home services. Be careful to read and fully understand the refund policies. You never are 100% sure it's gonna be THAT funeral home involved - life changes - you might have an unexpected relocation, death can occur while on vacation, etc.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy1951 View Post
...Not a difficult thing to arrange but it is expensive depending on the distance and, of course, the two funeral homes.
My mother died in Erie, PA and was buried in our hometown about 50 miles outside of Buffalo. The funeral home took care of making arrangements. I don't remember the cost, but it was nothing to fret about as the distance was not very great....I presume it was 150 miles or a bit more.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I seem to recall reading that this is a very common occurrence from Florida to Northeast. Alot of elderly that pass away in Florida still want to be buried in their NE hometowns. I think if you call a major airline like AA, and ask them what the charge is for transporting a casket, they should be able to give you an estimate.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenjohn View Post

What options do we have to transport the deceased to the state of burial?

Has anyone experienced this in your family, or known of such a difficult problem with a friend of yours and their loved ones, living in other states?

Ways to get the deceased to the burial state and the estimate costs.

Take a 'road trip' with the deceased. (somewhat common also)
You get a FREE 'transit permit' from the person handling the 'post-death-body-prep'.

You load up the body / casket and hit the road.

I did a 2000+ mile trip w/ 'dad'. We went to all his favorite places (Yellowstone, Tetons, Devil's tower, Mt Rushmore, Wall drug, Corn Palace...)(very 'healing' process... LONG story...

Stopped in Afton, WY and fitted a 'composite' 'burial vault' (last year's model, very cheap, and much better (and lighter) than concrete.)

Got to destination (rural cemetary) rented a back hoe ($100), had a 'military flag ceremony' Dropped him in and backfilled and made some 'Improvements' to the cemetery while the backhoe was there (4hr minimum) (straightened stones, fixed flowerbeds, moved rubbish... built a fire pit)

He could have flown 2,000 miles for $300 (freight class) BUT the funeral home wanted $1,800 to pick him up, drive 40 miles and bury him. Destination State Law would not allow ME to pick up a corpse from Airport. BUT they had no authority over my 'transit permit'. (tho they (Attorney General) claimed they did).

Go for the road trip, I created a whole journal and we all had a blast!

There are lots of options, what state are you (or potential deceased) in?
Funeral Home Co-ops are a great benefit (~ $800 'turn-key')

Lots of 'green' burial options too.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,393 times
i just had a famaly member die in california he is from illinois how long does it usually take to transport the body to illinois ??

Old 11-03-2016, 04:20 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
cremation makes it much easier - you can carry granny in your carry on baggage. Or mail her.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:46 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
The funeral home made all the arrangements for transport (ground transport to the airport, air transport, then ground transport to the cemetery) of my father's casket from Delaware to Illinois. Funeral homes do this all the time. If a funeral home cannot or will not provide all services and arrangements required, find one that does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement