Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times

Advertisements

I am 62.... there I said it as in all honesty, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!!
And I am going to join the ranks of the people here in this section in June 2012 after I will have been in the educational field for 34 years.

When I turned 50, I freaked out when AARP first approached me, but when I saw the discounts, went WHOO HOOO! But this next milestone of retiring has me in a true state of denial, for I just cannot believe I am that old. When I look in the mirror, I of course see some wrinkles and some thinning and grey hair (which does "magically disappear" with some help), but I also see great teeth and overall great skin with eyes that shine. And when I just look at my body, I see some age spots on my hands and arms and skin that wants to sag in some places rather that stay where it USE to stay, yet instead of accepting it, I get angry that my "outside" is not still the same as my "inside", for my inside is still in perfect health, with a strong body and young attitude/outlook due to teaching teenagers. When friends from college find me on FB and I look at their photos, I think: Dang, they are old! And, I really do not see them in me.

So what is my flippen problem?? Has anyone else felt this way...almost like you are a "tween" between being a youngster and a teenager as you are older, but not yet "old"?? And when did you finally "feel" old?? Does health have something to do with it??? I am stymied at my behavior at times and thoughts.

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 07-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: added some info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
I am 62.... there I said it as in all honesty, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!!
And I am going to join the ranks of the people here in this section in June 2012 after I will have been in the educational field for 34 years.

When I turned 50, I freaked out when AARP first approached me, but when I saw the discounts, went WHOO HOOO! But this next milestone of retiring has me in a true state of denial, for I just cannot believe I am that old. When I look in the mirror, I of course see some wrinkles and some thinning and grey hair (which does "magically disappear" with some help), but I also see great teeth and overall great skin with eyes that shine. And when I just look at my body, I see some age spots on my hands and arms and skin that wants to sag in some places rather that stay where it USE to stay, yet instead of accepting it, I get angry that my "outside" is not still the same as my "inside", for my inside is still in perfect health, with a strong body and young attitude/outlook due to teaching teenagers. When friends from college find me on FB and I look at their photos, I think: Dang, they are old! And, I really do not see them in me.

So what is my flippen problem?? Has anyone else felt this way...almost like you are a "tween" between being a youngster and a teenager as you are older, but not yet "old"?? And when did you finally "feel" old?? Does health have something to do with it??? I am stymied at my behavior at times and thoughts.
When I look in the mirror I see an "old" man in pretty good trim who retired at 62 and is less than two weeks from turning 65. When I look at you I see a young, lovely and vibrant woman whose looks belie her age.

But the aging process eventually always wins where the body is concerned. It can't work its way into the mind unless you let it. Not doing so isn't denial, it's simply a good idea. Look at Jack Lalanne.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
I'm 58 and happily can say that I have no problem with aging... except for the aches in my joints. But I can live with that. I actually stopped coloring my hair several years ago and it was liberating. Plus, I save almost 2,000 a year.
Frankly, it's not like you can change it or stop it.

I work with a woman who is 76. She has had two face lifts, colors her hair and looks like a fool. She complains about "getting old" all the time and refuses to retire because she fears that step is closer to deaths door. Yet, she remains at work complaining and people there are always wondering why doesn't she leave. I believe she is in quite a panic about aging. I just remind her... no matter how much hair color you put on your head that grey still shows on the top of your head, no matter how many nips and tucks you get.... honey, there you are... still aging and now 76. Get over it.

You only mentioned the external changes. My internal changes, my feeling more liberated with age, have been the best and make up for the physical changes aging brings.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Just looked at your Public Profile picture........you should be darn PROUD of how you look at your age!
Wife and I are in our early 60's and don't look "too" bad, even with a few extra pounds (25) and some sagging/wrinkling going on. She colors her hair and I use Just For Men on my mustache, sideburns/temples. I have a full head of hair as well. Our eating habits aren't the best, but we try. We get exercise, but not as much as we should. Even though we don't see many of our age bracket out on the water, we still love boating with our 20' cuddy cabin. We both know we are getting older and older, but there's not a dang thing we can do about it!
Now, what was VERY) shocking to wife and I, is how some of my classmates from our '68 graduation look today. Just had a 42 yr Class Reunion last August, but we weren't able to attend. The class has a Facebook page and put photos of the reunion on there. Much more gray hair showing up than I ever thought there would be! And weight, WOW! Some of my classmates weigh much more than I do! Actually, I was a "skinny little runt" in h.s. (at 6'1"/98 lbs) and now I'm 226.......there's that 25 lbs over! And, believe it or not, one of my classmates and his wife look old enough to be OUR parents.........honestly!
So, lady, whatever you're doing, keep right on doing it cause you're doing it right!!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
We are old(er), face it. The clock will not turn back our bodies even if we maintain a great attitude toward facing old age. It is depressing and best not to think about it, imo. We could have another 20 or 30 years, after all. Maybe we should get that facelift, after all.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
I could have written your post a few years ago. Totally identify with everything you say. I am 69 and still do not feel 'old.' Still asked for ID when I ask for sr. discounts. Forget your age. It is irrelevant.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
OK let's everyone post our photos on a separate link, without our names, and have others judge how old we look. Would we be honest???

Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM

35 posts, read 69,533 times
Well I am almost 64, think and feel as though I were 35, am told I look in my early 50s. I'm active, work full time, maintain a side-line consulting practice and am in (thankfully) good health. Hope to continue that way for 4-5 more years. Don't think I ever will be the typical oldster although eventually time will catch up with my health and body. I only "feel old" when I begin to think about the retirement and next life stage issues. Then I wonder what have I done with my life and now, how will I spend the few years that are left. Then I feel very ancient!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
When I look in the mirror I see an "old" man in pretty good trim who retired at 62 and is less than two weeks from turning 65. When I look at you I see a young, lovely and vibrant woman whose looks belie her age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

But the aging process eventually always wins where the body is concerned. It can't work its way into the mind unless you let it. Not doing so isn't denial, it's simply a good idea. Look at Jack Lalanne.

Thank you for the compliment. The photo was taken right after I turned 62. And I agree that the aging process will eventually win, but until that time WE can tell the world TO LOOK OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
You only mentioned the external changes. My internal changes, my feeling more liberated with age, have been the best and make up for the physical changes aging brings.
You are right about the internal feelings changing and becoming more liberating, that is for sure! No more worries about getting pregnant for one! But seriously, I do feel liberated in more ways than just that as my kids are grown and I can basically do what I want and HAVING learned so many life lessons, hopefully, I will not make the same mistakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Just looked at your Public Profile picture........you should be darn PROUD of how you look at your age!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I are in our early 60's and don't look "too" bad, even with a few extra pounds (25) and some sagging/wrinkling going on. She colors her hair and I use Just For Men on my mustache, sideburns/temples. I have a full head of hair as well. Our eating habits aren't the best, but we try. We get exercise, but not as much as we should. Even though we don't see many of our age bracket out on the water, we still love boating with our 20' cuddy cabin. We both know we are getting older and older, but there's not a dang thing we can do about it!
Now, what was VERY) shocking to wife and I, is how some of my classmates from our '68 graduation look today. Just had a 42 yr Class Reunion last August, but we weren't able to attend. The class has a Facebook page and put photos of the reunion on there. Much more gray hair showing up than I ever thought there would be! And weight, WOW! Some of my classmates weigh much more than I do! Actually, I was a "skinny little runt" in h.s. (at 6'1"/98 lbs) and now I'm 226.......there's that 25 lbs over ! And, believe it or not, one of my classmates and his wife look old enough to be OUR parents.........honestly!
So, lady, whatever you're doing, keep right on doing it cause you're doing it right!!
Thank you for the compliment. AND I am glad to read that you have seen some your "peers" like I have seen mine as well. It is a shock that is for sure, showing that we are all different, that is for sure. BUT to be honest, I would not worry too much about the extra weight, as when you are really thin, you do show your age more (and verified by my doctor) and that is why I do not care about my extra pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We are old(er), face it. The clock will not turn back our bodies even if we maintain a great attitude toward facing old age. It is depressing and best not to think about it, imo. We could have another 20 or 30 years, after all. Maybe we should get that facelift, after all.

AND to be honest, when the time comes, I am going to!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I could have written your post a few years ago. Totally identify with everything you say. I am 69 and still do not feel 'old.' Still asked for ID when I ask for sr. discounts. Forget your age. It is irrelevant.

Glad to read this.... and good for you! Funny, but I met Erica Jong a few years back and when I asked her about her 60's, she said they were the best thus far and not to be afraid of them... nor flying!

Thank you all for your responses....

PS And if anyone knows the RIGHT way to quote multiple posts, I would really like to know!

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 07-29-2011 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Added PS

Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gal coming home View Post
Well I am almost 64, think and feel as though I were 35, am told I look in my early 50s. I'm active, work full time, maintain a side-line consulting practice and am in (thankfully) good health. Hope to continue that way for 4-5 more years. Don't think I ever will be the typical oldster although eventually time will catch up with my health and body. I only "feel old" when I begin to think about the retirement and next life stage issues. Then I wonder what have I done with my life and now, how will I spend the few years that are left. Then I feel very ancient!
This is important, as now it has been said that instead of 4 life passages, there are really 5, with the 4th being those in their late 50's to late 60's who may retire, but then take on a whole other career or adventure. AND if you decide to keep working, you may still opt for this. But it is this stage in my life that I cannot wait for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement