Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times

Advertisements

Before you retire, be certain all your home/stuff repairs are done, buy new appliances, anticipate repairs/replacements, don't buy any new clothes/shoes, and make no committments. Then, the first week you retire, take at least HALF of all your clothes and shoes to the homeless shelter because believe me, you'll probably never wear the stuff ever again. Best wishes for a fun retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,311 times
I thought I would revive this thread. Our 1 year is down to 9 months - YAHOOOO! Everything seems to be pretty much on track, we're still looking at the summer of 2012. We are 90% sure we'll be relocating, Roanoke VA. is the location of choice. Any other thoughts on what we need to be doing to prepare for the big day?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Depending on your medical coverage, I'd go ahead and have everything checked out. For instance, my dentist said I had optional crowns for 3 teeth. So I'm had and am having one done each year before retirement. Likewise, I plan to have a full annual exam a little over a year from retirement and have another just before retirement. If you're on any prescriptions, time the refills for just before you retire.

If your company has any retirement planning seminars, do attend one. While you may know everything about the benefits you'll get, it's good to get confirmation about them. I know one thing that catches people off-guard is that your benefits are paid in arrears, that is you have to go through the month before you get paid for it. Make sure you have enough to get you through that first month. If your vacation days are use it or lose it, start making 3 day weekends to use it up.

Since you're planning on moving, many recommend renting first. That way you're not tied down to the area if you change your mind and a housing slump hits your new area.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Start cleaning out your house before you think you need to. Not necessarily before you retire, but don't wait and try to do it in a couple of weeks. Every time I look at what we have to dispose of I get depressed. There is just so much. On the other hand we should make a bundle when we have our garage sale(s)!

Talk with a financial advisor. We are in the process of changing advisors due to a seeming lack of interest on the part of our (no longer) current one. The new one went through everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, and ran it through a program that told us we are fine until age 90, at a minimum. He is now in the process of fine tuning it.

One of the things he stressed (and Mrs. Tek does it also) is that he is very conservative regarding inflation and COLA rates. They have to really dump before we're in any trouble.

BTW, after retirement you don't take vacations, you travel.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,145 times
In addition to what others have suggested, think about what both of you will do with your time at home together. You probably have never spent 24/7 together during your marriage.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
The countdown has begun! Not long to go, sounds like you are prepared!

Although I retired April 1st, my insurance from a prior early retirement package is enforce through July of 2012, so I am packing all my medical and dental needs in this timeframe. In July of 2012 I head over to the Medicare side of the fence, will cost me more and provide less.

Oh well, retirement ain't for sissies!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
I have one year to go too as I retire in June 2012. Today I went into school to pick up my room keys and actually had tears in my eyes as I knew this would be the last time I was going to do that.

I am glad that I read what people posted here, as I was going to be the one who said "Well, this is my last welcome back breakfast. Well, this is my last....", but now I know better not too, even though I am not really unhappy.

The only thing I have planned is to pay off all my bills except my house, and then fly by the seat of my pants as I could care less that I will have hardly any money saved. All I need is for the housing market to get back up and then sell my house.

But too, retirement does not mean that I will not be working again, for if I get desperate, I could always subsitute teach. In fact, my 2 year plan is to live in Belgrade, Serbia for 6 months and back home an sub the the other months...then I will see what will happen!

What are your plans???
While no one has the power to change the FACTS, you DO have the power to change your FOCUS on the facts. For every situation in which melancholy threatens, i.e. "Well, this is the last.....", try redirecting your focus to "Well, this is the first....". For example, visualizing picking up the keys to your new apartment in Serbia blunts the feeling of picking up your school room keys for the last time.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Before you retire, be certain all your home/stuff repairs are done, buy new appliances, anticipate repairs/replacements, don't buy any new clothes/shoes, and make no committments. Then, the first week you retire, take at least HALF of all your clothes and shoes to the homeless shelter because believe me, you'll probably never wear the stuff ever again. Best wishes for a fun retirement.

I plan on doing exactly that for my house, but to be honest, I hadn't thought about my wardrobe! I knew I wasn't buying like I had in the past, so maybe subconsciously I was thinking this. Good advice, too, about giving half of our work clothes away, and finding a place such as you mentioned or one where women who may be going back into the workforce and can't afford clothes, may be the answer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:54 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
While no one has the power to change the FACTS, you DO have the power to change your FOCUS on the facts. For every situation in which melancholy threatens, i.e. "Well, this is the last.....", try redirecting your focus to "Well, this is the first....". For example, visualizing picking up the keys to your new apartment in Serbia blunts the feeling of picking up your school room keys for the last time.
Thanks for your insight and suggestions...BUT....BUT... it is really hard for me especially in my 7th period class where I am teaching the things that I love for the last time (hence on my website they are called "The Last Dance"). AND thus far, I have shed a couple tears over The Crucible and Jefferson's words in the Declaration of Independence. Yes, I do have the power to change the facts, and I know I am in control of my emotions, but darn it, you are talking to woman whom the marketing academy last year gave the award: To the teacher most likely to cry on demand.

But with that said, I will try your visualization exercise next time I feel a tear coming on!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,311 times
OK, we're really close to pulling the plug. My (our) retirement date is still the last day of July. My employer has asked that I give them about 3 months notice so they can advetise my position, interview, and hire some one so that there is a little overlap for the new person to learn my job. I expect to do this the first day of May.
We've considered all the suggestions that many people have made on this thread and acted on many of them. I took care of some medical procedures that had been postponed, we've been gradually cleaning out the house (because we intend to sell and relocate), we've spent time visiting our retirement destination, we have monetary situation figured out,...
I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I haven't started counting down yet,(meaning counting the days), but I have a whole list of things that I've done at work for the last time. I had working papers at 14, I can hardly wait to not work and finally really enjoy life. Our list of things to do in retirement is so long we'll never finish, but we sure aim to try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement