Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,571 times

Advertisements

I guess I am different from most of you here as I am not really the "classic" button down type of woman (and that style really is always in style in a way!).

For casual, I wear jeans or capris or sundresses. Never will you see me in athletic shoes unless I am at the gym or walking to exercise. As far as tops, I still order T's from Victoria's Secret (as well as my underwear) and love Boston Proper for other tops and sweaters. I also like tops from Target, though, and the prices cannot be beat.

For work, I usually wear dresses that are of all lengths, but fairly simple ones with flared hems and none being prints sans one. Shoes are usually heeled sandals or heels with tights or boots in the winter. I do wear skirts of various lengths as well. No suits or pant suits (which I really haven't worn since they were polyester in the 70's!) for this woman!

Black is my basic color and has been since high school when I was making a "statement" and it has stayed with me. I think I have only a few things that are differnet colors like purple and green and really just a few prints as I just don't like how they look on me.

And to be honest, for just going to the store and such, I would rather just put on a dress and go, as I find that the easiest way to dress.

And after revealing all of this....when do I need to stop shopping at VS and Boston Proper, I wonder??? Hmmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,456 times
I have always liked classic styles made of natural fabrics. Classic styles and natural fabrics allow me to wear my clothes until they fall apart. I do like jeans and a tee or linen shirt for casual. I don't have to buy clothes every season, only when I need something.

I like, but cannot afford, real jewelry so I only wear sterling silver earrings and a sterling silver bracelet.

My shoes are comfort first and never really high heels.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have never cared about clothing and, in fact, not having to pay attention to dress is an important job requirement for me (as I post from my night shift at the psychiatric hospital).
I assume I'll be just as indifferent in retirement. I'd have trouble pulling together anything for a funeral, these days, I guess my taupe job-hunting outfit would do. I should check and see if it's moth-eaten or anything.
^ ^ ^

"Fashion" is not in my vocabulary. It connotes, to me, some degree of narcissism and self absorption with appearances. I love people who look a bit thrown together (well groomed of course) or people who wear things that are obviously not chosen to make a statement. Fashion does not enhance a person but seems to create a false barrier to the real person, imo. Understatements in dress are also my style, and I abhor jewelry except for the most subtle pieces, and it would have to be real gold or silver or gem, not the stuff from the TV order channels. A middle aged or older woman dressed to the nines and loaded with fashion jewelry and lipstick--looks like a middle aged or old lady wanting to deny her natural beauty and age.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
I agree about "fashion". Fashion is what you like and feel comfortable wearing, whether it's currently in fashion or out.

I think it's so sad to see women 60+ who think they have to sport a chicken scratch hairdo and tattoos to look au courant. Dignity is the watch word for older women.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:14 AM

150 posts, read 297,836 times
Default Fashion

I never wore high heels and never will. I prefer natural fabrics like cotton. I still wear denim skirts to work. One of my "clients" once asked me if I live on a farm!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
^ ^ ^

"Fashion" is not in my vocabulary. It connotes, to me, some degree of narcissism and self absorption with appearances. I love people who look a bit thrown together (well groomed of course) or people who wear things that are obviously not chosen to make a statement. Fashion does not enhance a person but seems to create a false barrier to the real person, imo. Understatements in dress are also my style, and I abhor jewelry except for the most subtle pieces, and it would have to be real gold or silver or gem, not the stuff from the TV order channels. A middle aged or older woman dressed to the nines and loaded with fashion jewelry and lipstick--looks like a middle aged or old lady wanting to deny her natural beauty and age.
I think that fashion leads to narcissism or self absorption only if one becomes a slave to it and her whole life is ruled by what she wears. I don't think it creates a false barrier unless it is extreme, IMHO as I truly feel that what we wear is partly who we are. Being even a bit fashionable tells me that the person knows what is going on in the world and wants to be part of it. But finding what is fashionable at this age is what has me in a quandry as I don't see clothes that are for the "this age of me" and I don't want to change my style, as that style IS who I am. And that is why I am a bit envious of women who are the LLBean and classic types as they are set!

And as far a lipstick (and mascara and eyeliner), I will never give that up and it has nothing to do with me denying my natural beauty as heck, I never had that even when I was young! I just look better with it and will never forget my mother's mantra: A lady never leaves the house without her lipstick on. And even when I was a hippie, I never went that natural route as I always carried my lipstick in my pocket!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I myself am and always have been a preppy person so most of the clothes I have are very classic, probably boring to some but even at 25, I hated my arms and usually wore long sleeves even then. I also worked with people who loved the temperature at 75 when I was always cold so that helped too!

Retailers that carry good selections for the over 50 set?

I had enough of preppy when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's. Twin sets, girdles, hats to church on Sunday, high heels even to high school. Yuck! Couldn't wait for the revolution that put us in jeans, allowed me to grow my hair long and never wear rollers again!

I too never liked my upper arms, even as a teenager. I always wanted at least a cap sleeve. But now I'm doing weight training with dumbbells and my arms, at 63, are getting pretty acceptable--try it!

Yes, please tell me some retailers--I'm going to be wintering in Florida for the first time this fall and need to acquaint myself with US retailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Of course, if I am going to a special function I will dress appropriately, but I am glad I don't have to do that every day.
I'm with you. I lucked out in my career--I could generally wear what I wanted, mostly jeans, with a few classic items for meetings and conferences.

Now that I'm retired, capris, t-shirts, cute shirts, summer dresses, jeans. In winter, nice sweaters and cords. Sandals are my favorite footwear, with flat leather shoes for cooler times of the year, and runners for serious walking. I have a "cruisewear" section of my wardrobe for those special times.

I'm also wearing more colors--I wore black often because I was sensitive about my weight--now I'm more comfortable with myself, so love a bit of color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
I never wore high heels and never will. I prefer natural fabrics like cotton. I still wear denim skirts to work. One of my "clients" once asked me if I live on a farm!
That's funny! I stopped wearing heels in my 20's when the "flower child" look took over. Plus my mom had horrible bunions from wearing high heels in her early life, and I vowed that that would not happen to me. My feet are very healthy still.

As for makeup, I agree, not sure why old ladies tend to wear too much. I have never worn much makeup, although I do wear more than I did when I was in my 30's (basically none). But that means blush, a bit of concealer, some eyebrow powder (not pencil), sometimes eyeliner or a hint of shadow.

So, where are good places to shop in and around Tampa?

P.S., I hardly ever have worn lipstick. I never feel right in it.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
I have always liked classic styles made of natural fabrics. Classic styles and natural fabrics allow me to wear my clothes until they fall apart. I do like jeans and a tee or linen shirt for casual. I don't have to buy clothes every season, only when I need something.

I like, but cannot afford, real jewelry so I only wear sterling silver earrings and a sterling silver bracelet.

My shoes are comfort first and never really high heels.

My high heels (2" so not really high!) are comfortable as they are Aerosoles and another brand that I cannot think of at the moment! But shoes today can be both comfortable and stylish and not the orthopedic-looking ones of the past.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I agree about "fashion". Fashion is what you like and feel comfortable wearing, whether it's currently in fashion or out.

I think it's so sad to see women 60+ who think they have to sport a chicken scratch hairdo and tattoos to look au courant. Dignity is the watch word for older women.

I had to chuckle at this statement as when I turned 60 the thought of a teeny tat on my ankle did cross my mind! But then I thought the better of it as I too, think that dignity is the key word, but really no matter what the age. So, instead I finally got my ears pierced!!! And that has been the best decision I had made in my life I think....

Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 AM

Thinking while in the shower. We really do not know what ages our fashion is referring to. I do think someone 55 will approach it differently from someone 70-80 as that is when our bodies really change. And just because heels are my choice of footwear now, I am not sure it will be that way down the road. BUT I do know for me personally, I will never wear athletic shoes when not doing athletics as there are so many comfortable and goodlooking shoes for everyday and walking now; and I one a couple pairs of those as well esp. for when I am in Europe and walk everywhere.

But besides this, I also wondered how we feel about our sexuality plays a role in what we wear. I wondered how many of us still feel sexy or is that a non-issue? As for me, maybe this is partly where I am in denial (per my thread), as I still want to feel sexy and feminine. And maybe that is really what I am questioning about myself and when THAT will end???? Is there an age where we are NOT suppose to feel this way or is it just totally an individual feeling???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement