Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 AM

326 posts, read 764,633 times

Advertisements

My mom who is in her mid 70's was always intimidated by new technology stuff. Every time we suggested something, she would say it was too complicated and refused to learn about it. One of her grandchildren installed Skype on her computer a few months back and showed her how to used. She has been very delighted with this, recommended to all her friends she calls often, and even made the grandchild to help her friends getting the Skype to work on their computers. She calls her children, grandchildren, and friends on Skype whenever she can. She said it's just wonderful to see the person who she talks to and there is no need to hold the phone by the ear the whole time.

Is there a technology that makes your life better/easier? Do you like to recommend a technology to other retirees and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 11:30 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
We use Skype to keep in touch with family, mostly on the road. We travel quite a bit, so it's a great way to keep in touch. Also the kids use Facebook, which I'm not that thrilled about and rarely post, but by going on, we can see what they are doing, as daughter posts some really funny antics of the kids.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
You'd be surprised at how tech savy many seniors are. After all, they have the time to devote to it.

I've used computers since I was stationed at the Pentagon back in 1975 when one filled a room and had to be air conditioned. Bought a Commodore 64 back in the dark ages as soon as they became available and even had a modem to *talk* with others. I enjoy the Internet and have been using it since 1992-93. It's a great tool.

Smart phones are another story. I don't need to nor care to be that constantly accessible via what I call an electronic leash. I have one but rarely even turn it on.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
My iPhone makes my life much easier and more interesting. I rarely talk on it, but I use it constantly for a few games, browsing the internet, reading, snapping photos and sharing them with family, and many other things.

We use TeamViewer to keep MIL's computer system working and to help her out with one task or another. She is also intimidated by technology, but she still uses it every day.

I guess having Tivos has also made a big difference in our TV watching. We never watch anything but news on live TV.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
I've found my Droid X can be very helpful with appointments, lists, notes, etc. I use a program that lets me input a text reminder or a list. I use the notes for all kinds of reminders for tasks, when things are to be done or were done (I kept track of when I sowed the grass seed for example), and I put a list in for groceries (I delete each item as I place in in the cart so the list only contains those items that are left to buy), items to bring up with the doctors, to do lists, etc.

I can check the weather immediately, and I have six different cities in the weather list.

The ability to do a quick Google search no matter where I am is a great boon.

It has a GPS built in which I find to be an excellent tool especially when Mrs. Tek is on the road and has the Garmin.

I call people on it once in a while, too.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,604 times
I love my Smartphone, it's like a long-time dream having the internet in my hand. But then I worked in the technology sector for twenty years, and was an early-adopter of many technologies--had a Palm PDA in the early 90's, had a terminal with a 300-baud modem at home in 1980. I'm 63, my husband who has been on this tech-ride with me is 68. We have a good techie friend who is 72. So this idea that "seniors" are not tech-savvy is rapidly becoming outmoded.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You'd be surprised at how tech savy many seniors are. After all, they have the time to devote to it.

I've used computers since I was stationed at the Pentagon back in 1975 when one filled a room and had to be air conditioned. Bought a Commodore 64 back in the dark ages as soon as they became available and even had a modem to *talk* with others. I enjoy the Internet and have been using it since 1992-93. It's a great tool.

Smart phones are another story. I don't need to nor care to be that constantly accessible via what I call an electronic leash. I have one but rarely even turn it on.
Reading your post brought back some memories. In 1974 I worked in the office of a manufacturing company that had one of those huge room sized computers...in an air conditioned room! I remember, at the time, hearing someone say that one day every home would have a computer in it and I couldn't fathom why anybody would want one of 'those things' in their home! I had little imagination, I guess, because I never pictured the PC and other electronic tech 'stuff' we have today.

I had a Commodore 64 in 1988. My dad actually built it when he took a computer course and recieved certification for the course. Back then I
didn't have internet so all we used it for was games and such. I didn't get on the internet till 1998. Late bloomer here.

I still don't own a cell phone or any other tech thing. Unless you count my DVD-VCR recorder/player. lol I really have no desire to own any of that stuff and haven't missed having it. I do, eventually, want to get a flat screen HDTV but the one I have now works great and is plenty big enough so.....

Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I'm a late adopter here. I was using an IBM computer in 1974, which was some 8 feet high and absolutely not idiot-proof. I didn't know it was a computer- thought it was some sort of odd typewriter where you had to type in "$" all the time.
I don't get a technology in my life until I see a need for it (or it's necessary to make a living). I had no TV for 17 years- just didn't think of it, and was working in TV for some of those years- but then someone gave me an old black-and-white, so I got spoiled- wanted to see Peter Jennings and baseball. I got cable in 2004 for baseball, and because I needed a broadband bundle for some work at home stuff.
I think if I spent a lot of time waiting for airplanes and stuff, I'd get an iPad of something. As it is, I largely only use the Internet for the same stuff I've used since 1995- discussion groups, news, animal info and pictures, and real estate obsessions. I love to scan information of all sorts.
Found a cell phone very handy on my recent vacation, but otherwise only carry it for car emergencies. Again, I'm pretty much at home or at work, and don't need that much contact.
I haven't necessarily found that "younger" people are all so savvy. I mean, they're glued to their phones and texting, but don't necessarily do any better with new software packages at work, and so on. I am considered "a computer expert" at my job, which is a very sad statement about my co-workers. I've never been interested in software, etc., just used what I learn for what I need. My eyes glaze over at anything else.
And I type so well with touch typing, I have no desire to learn to type with my thumbs.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
I recently gave up my cell phone service because I rarely use it and it saved me some money. I don't have all the latest electronic gadgets with the exception of my Kindle which was a hand-me-down from a friend. And I love it.

I am not against the wonderous new electronics, I just cannot afford them. I would imagine many Seniors are in this boat but I figure I lived without this stuff this long, I can survive without it now. But I would if I could.........

Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM

126 posts, read 246,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I recently gave up my cell phone service because I rarely use it and it saved me some money. <snip> I am not against the wonderous new electronics, I just cannot afford them. I would imagine many Seniors are in this boat but I figure I lived without this stuff this long, I can survive without it now. But I would if I could.........
Minervah, I'm with you. I only have a little Virgin Mobile emergency cell phone, $7 per month. Doesn't do anything fancy. I love gadgets and I would love an Iphone or Android, but being a few months from retirement, the last thing I need now is more expenses. I am in the mode of figuring out what expenses I can reduce. So I don't want to get hooked on something else with a monthly bill, although I am sure I would love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement