Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I always found that a experinced work with mnay years experience is likely not to be considered for a starting position. It obvious that they want a younger person at that level with less experience because they do not believe they can hold the experinced person in time.At the same time we see youg people without experience say they can not get a start.One has to match the positiion as always in what they are looking for.its really always been this way.
True enough... but with the baby boomers out numbering most groups... they will need to adapt a bit won't they LOL

I for one am not looking for entry level as much as a customer service job where they need my years of experience and mentoring... I have mentored and have been asked to mentor because of my skills and my extreme patience too ...

Like I said... never give up "a quiter never wins" or gets the job in my case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
This is all nothing less than Darwinian!

Any recent grads even know what that is?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 AM

Default Darwinian... many theories..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This is all nothing less than Darwinian!

Any recent grads even know what that is?
Adaptation... that is the key word... so many theorists... so little time..

How many adaptations has taken place?? at one time you were an old spinster if you weren't married by the age of 18.

The average length of life was 38... when I was 7 years old and wanted to become an astronaut.. (a dream of mine back then ).. I was told that I needed to pick a female job.. yeah imagine a teacher telling their students that today..

I will move forward and reach for my goal no matter what discrimination or narrow mindedness I face. Never keep a good woman down

Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I am experiencing that right now! I am 57 and looking for clerical work, back in the unemployed group because of hubby's career and two times relocating. Sometimes I see it and other times I can honestly tell the HR recruiter is interested and looking for the right fit.

I once had an interviewer tell me that "my knowledge of computer software was not the normal for a person my age"! Imagine that.........trying to say an old dog can't learn a new trick!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I am experiencing that right now! I am 57 and looking for clerical work, back in the unemployed group because of hubby's career and two times relocating. Sometimes I see it and other times I can honestly tell the HR recruiter is interested and looking for the right fit.

I once had an interviewer tell me that "my knowledge of computer software was not the normal for a person my age"! Imagine that.........trying to say an old dog can't learn a new trick!
Yikes!! I always love that one... I've programed in dos and I've had computers when they first were introduced... I know more about software/hardware (have built systems from the board up) and computers then most of the younger co-workers but yet in an interview their questions always gear toward and question my background... stereotyping.. don't you love it LOL

I'm not dead yet... my brain never stops learning

Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
I took an early retirement offer from my position in corporate america. Opened a couple of businesses, worked them for 9 years or so. Decided to close them, worked from home liquidating inventory on line. Got bored with that.

Shot out 6 or 7 resumes, had 3 job offers, I was overqualified for all three positions. Took one that paid me less than I was making in 1976, I was obviously working for my own amazement and amusement. Stayed 5 years, was offered promotions twice, I declined, retired again on April 1, 2011.

Believe that, at age 64, I am now retired for good.

I really do not feel that I was discriminated against. In my past life, I saw too many people who just didn't know how to interview, they may have been qualified, but no one could see beyond their inability to present themselves properly during the interview.

Just my two cents, take what you want and leave the rest.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM

totally agree about the interview process. I research and see what the latest trends are and what the "key" expectations for the job are. Most of the time my face to face interviews go extremely well. My issues right now is I'm 3,400 miles away because I am relocating to their area. That is the biggest hurdle to over come. Convincing them I am definitely moving there..

I am probably over qualified for most of the jobs I'm applying for so that too is another hurdle...

Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Wife and I, in our early 60's, wound up with "age discrimination" towards employment a number of times.. She got luck and landed a descent paying job last year. As for me, I HAD to take "early retirement/SS" due to being unemployed and EUC ran out. I couldn't put my past military experience on the old resume b/c it's from the Viet Nam era and employment agencies and company's don't like seeing experience without dates! Heck, my college years were back in the 70's as well......couldn't put those dates down either. And, on top of that, I was with Classmates.com and when I put my name into the "Search" area of the internet, Classmates.com came up with the high school I graduated from and the year I graduated which equals.......my age (62)! A person can have the perfect experience, certifications, college degree.......but when "age" comes up, LOOK OUT! Doesn't happen all the time, as in my wife's case, but it sure does happen!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
So many reasons to NOT hire an "over 50" candidate vs. young... most perspective employers tend to generalize without ever meeting the person.

I'm healthier, in better physical shape then most of my younger co-workers. My attendance is much better and I retain, learn and adapt quicker also. I work until the job is done right and quicker too. The problem I'm having right now is getting my foot in the door. Like another poster stated, "they toss the application if the candidate is over 50"...

What a shame... I will give them at least 10 solid years where the average younger work would be lucky to give them 5...

I never give up and will find that job.. there will be someone to see my value..
I've been reading your posts on the AK forum and I have to tell you that I really admire your 'gumption' and attitude. You WILL get what you want, eventually, I just know it!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post

That is just a comment from a perosn;who likely has seen it much really.It happen to everyone ;not just the old. i have been surprised at what soem younger people hae experienced and know at times. nopthig unusual really. I have ebben o mnay promtion borad in my past employer and was always amused at just why theor weho were not given jobs thought they did not get them as most tiems they were completely wrong from knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement