Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times

Advertisements

If you have allergies disregard my post about the foothills. The pollen on my back porch looks like shredded foam rubber in the Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,748 times
To get away from the heat and oppressive humidity of Long Island, NY our list consists of Reno, Albuquerque, Prescott, AZ & Grants Pass, OR.

You should be looking out west for what you want.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:32 PM

178 posts, read 801,186 times
thanks Norm for your input. We've been to Albuquerque and also have friends there, and also been to Prescott a couple of times. The later is too isolated and Albuquerque doesn't have much of the pleasant downtown area we're looking for. It's a very spread out city w/ a lot of traffic and also has a lot of trafficing gang activity, since it's on the major drug route from Mexico up to colo. and beyond. still there are some very nice aspects to Albuquerque, such as the lovely zoo and the parks along the foothills.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,564 times
30 apples, not trying to throw a monkey wrench in here but, we just moved from Arizona to Hendersonville, Tennessee. Our allergies just flat out went away. Lots of dust out west. We love it here in Tennessee. Even with the recent heatwave here, this is nothing compared to the summer heat of Arizona. Summer temps out west? Hope you like it HOT. Albequerque, NM? Hot there too in the summer. Winters are beautiful and pleasant in the southwest desert but summers are a tad bit warm

Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 AM

lakerat: Hmm, don't know anything about Hendersonville, Tn. How did you come up w/ that choice? No allergies there?. don't they have a lot of southern type pine trees, like in the rest of the south (the kind w/ the thick yellow pollen which falls everywhere)? Isn't it humid there and so has mold problems? Appreciate your input ! Thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 11:56 AM

Ellwood: Have you moved to Saratoga yet? If so, Have you discovered any downside to the town or area such COL? I know that lyme ticks are a particularly bad problem in Dutchess Co,. to the south. How about in the Saratoga area? We like outdoorsy activities. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:29 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Thumbs up N/W Ark. & S/W Mo. very good areas for retirees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Have you investigated Missouri or Northern Arkansas? All 4 seasons. Some humidity in August, like we are experiencing at this time.

So much to do, either around the Southwest Missouri areas, or the Northwest Arkansas areas. In Missouri's west central section, there is the Lake of Ozarks region. Many fine homes, subdivisions, shopping, restaurants, other entertainment. In the SW corner of Missouri you will find the Springfield/Branson area. Again, many great locations.

try this: Welcome to Missouri - visitmo.com - Missouri Tourism

Good Luck to you
I have to agree that the area of s/w Missouri and n/w Arkansas has to be one of the best locations in the country for retirement. It’s cost of living is lower then most parts of the country, the weather is very nice with 4 seasons but without snow most of the time, and there are plenty of things for elders to do and enjoy. There are good hospitals and medical centers, shopping is plentiful, and it’s an easy laid back living. My parents retired in Bella Vista and Rogers Ak area and enjoyed it for many years before they passed away. I sometimes think I should be moving there myself. And I’ve always enjoyed the visits with my sister who lives in s/w Mo. on a farm.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 PM

thanks for all the comments. Isn't Missouri and Arkansas kind of humid and have mold problems due to all the very rich soil? May be wrong on that, but it seems I read that somewhere. I've noticed they are beautiful states however, as much as you can see driving through.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,748 times
30apples,

In addition to heat & humidity Missouri & Arkansas also get a lot of tornados.

Here is a web site that enables you to plug in the name of any cit or town and get all weather info for each month and also the annual averages. For humidity you are looking for a low dew point.
climate in cedar city ut - Ask.com Web Search

There is a big difference between the heat in the high desert areas because of the low humidity as a opposed to a place like Phoenix or Tucson where despite the low humidity the summers are oven hot.

Here is another site that gives you pollen counts for the country:
Pollen.com - Your Local Pollen Reports and Allergy Forecasts including the only 4 Day Allergy Alert Forecast. If you suffer from allergies, get the 4 Day Allergy Forecast.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:07 PM

norm, thanks for these two sites - they're very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement