Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
You don't have to be so rude. Geesh. I tried to think of something different from the same old topics that the OP mentioned. I wanted to add something different. If was just a suggestion, not a demand that it be added. It actually could be considered a psychological topic, how our sense of style changes with age. Does hitting "60" make some change their appearance because that is what they feel they should look like? 60 is too "old" to have long hair (female), so I must act/look my age and get it cut short like other 60+ women?

As far as the shoes, comfort doesn't have to be awful looking. There are all kinds of comfortable, stylish shoes out there for older folks that don't scream "look at me, I'm stuck in the 1960's". Go shoe shopping, there are all kinds of stores and styles of shoes for 60+ folks, 80+ in your case (based on your post).
Sorry I came across as rude. Actually I am 67 (male). I have felt the same way about the non-importance of style since I was 30, if not before. There may well be a gender difference in the amount of attention we pay to style, on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Have everyone do a critique of a comic strip. You would be surprised at the reactions you can get when talking about comic strips in the newspaper. Every time ours removes one to add a different one you'd think it was the end of the world.

I would choose Get Fuzzy

Get Fuzzy Archive

When our paper first added this strip Mrs. Tek and I thought it was stupid. Now that we "get" this persons sense of humor we howl with laughter.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
You don't have to be so rude. Geesh. I tried to think of something different from the same old topics that the OP mentioned. I wanted to add something different. If was just a suggestion, not a demand that it be added. It actually could be considered a psychological topic, how our sense of style changes with age. Does hitting "60" make some change their appearance because that is what they feel they should look like? 60 is too "old" to have long hair (female), so I must act/look my age and get it cut short like other 60+ women?

As far as the shoes, comfort doesn't have to be awful looking. There are all kinds of comfortable, stylish shoes out there for older folks that don't scream "look at me, I'm stuck in the 1960's". Go shoe shopping, there are all kinds of stores and styles of shoes for 60+ folks, 80+ in your case (based on your post).
I think we are digressing, but at 63, I've always wondered if I will wake up one morning soon and have the urge to get a short, curly perm, send all my money to a TV preacher, and buy a Toyota Camry.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
You will need shoes that lace up. The feet swell during the day as you get older. Laces allow you to get that little extra width. That's why the walking/sports shoe has become so popular with the older set. They also provide better support for the foot, ankle and arch. Falls and broken bones are a BIG problem among the elderly. Good, well fitted shoes cut down on the possibility of falls.

Many older people have a problem with vertigo. That means.....NO heals. The sense of balance is bad enough with broad heels. Arthritic toes mean shoes that have extra space in the toe area. None of these things points to stylish shoes regardless of the time spent looking. It's the lucky elderly woman that doesn't have these problems.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
My suggestion for a topic is grass roots organizing to address and influence senior-related politics at the local, state and federal levels.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM

126 posts, read 246,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How to get a man to go to the doctor.....
Yes! That's the one I want an answer to! My husband's doctor gave him scripts for a colonoscopy and a sleep study, and he just put them in the drawer and won't let me schedule them.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_grouch View Post
Yes! That's the one I want an answer to! My husband's doctor gave him scripts for a colonoscopy and a sleep study, and he just put them in the drawer and won't let me schedule them.
Clarify that they are two different procedures. They are not going to stick it up there while he is asleep and rudely awaken him versus an nocturnal emission...........LOL

Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
Lately, I've been mulling over how to make this last part of my life worthwhile and meaningful.

I devoted the first twenty-some years learning and the middle forty working, raising kids, contributing what I could to making the world a better place to live.

Now what?

I feel I should be doing more in the world than volunteer at the food bank and host holiday gatherings. But what?

Twenty/thirty years is too much precious time to just fritter away. But for the life of me can't figure out what the next step is.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Lately, I've been mulling over how to make this last part of my life worthwhile and meaningful.

I devoted the first twenty-some years learning and the middle forty working, raising kids, contributing what I could to making the world a better place to live.

Now what?

I feel I should be doing more in the world than volunteer at the food bank and host holiday gatherings. But what?

Twenty/thirty years is too much precious time to just fritter away. But for the life of me can't figure out what the next step is.
It will come to you. Personally, I've enjoyed frittering in the three years since I retired. After working 45 years, mostly in fast-paced, high-stress and somewhat hazardous occupations along with raising and "launching" five children, I am reveling in still being here and the down time.

For most of those years I was a work-a-holic. I finally began to relax during my last year, slow down and take it a bit easy. Thankfully, that calm has stayed with me in retirement and I feel no great need or compunction to enter into the fray again in any manner. I'm content to explore new and different places, learn the history of them, take pictures and spend time with my wife who is also retired.

It makes my/our time precious.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_grouch View Post

Guilty!!

He knows what is involved with the pre-colonoscopy ritual and I don't blame him. I've been through that twice. The actual procedure is no big deal. Drinking all that liquid is terrible.

And I just had a sleep study last night. You can tell him from me that it is nothing at all like he imagines it will be. They came in and put a CPAP on me because I was snoring and not breathing and I was very surprised that it didn't really bother me to have it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement