Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I was looking for sea glass and found this little beach some where roughly between Camden and Ellsworth. Don't even know the name. But if money were not a consideration, i'd be there.
Which beach would that be, or what town? There's a real stretch between these two places. Have you visited in winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I'm all for the snowbird idea.

And if money is truly no object, then I want a different place every summer and every winter. And I want all of the places to be fully handicapped accessible so my wheelchair-bound DH will be comfortable.

How many wishes do I get, exactly?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I think you get as many wishes as you want.

I have often pondered this question. "If I won the lottery, ...where would I ...?" (Of course, I don't buy tickets, but I figure my chances are pretty well as good.)

Definitely snowbirding. I've just started snowbirding to Florida, from Toronto and the wilds of the Ottawa Valley. If money was no object, Florida would become USVI perhaps, or the Bahamas.

If money was *truly* no object, I'd do this:

- spend several months a year in the summer in Canada, probably the same places as I live now, although I'd tear down my little summer cottage and build a bigger home.

- spend the winter somewhere tropical or culturally interesting, different places every year perhaps. Bali, Egypt, Thailand, Brazil, Costa Rica, Caribbean Islands.

- spend the shoulder seasons in great places like: New York City, Rome, London, Paris, Istanbul, Asia perhaps, South Africa, etc. You get the idea. When I couldn't do all that travelling, I'd switch to doing month-long cruises to fabulous places

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM

30,528 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Which beach would that be, or what town? There's a real stretch between these two places. Have you visited in winter?
don't know. I was on rte 1 heading north, saw a little sign that said something Beach. I was going to turn around but the side road came back out on rte 1 a little further on. Probably not even considered a town. No PO, store, no businesses of any kind I saw. Just some houses (mostly big), a couple of beach dogs, friendly people. Oh, and the beach. Not an especially beautiful one-have certainly seen more picturesque ones. But, as I said, it was for some reason special.

no, haven't been there in winter, but , hey, if money's no object, I'd just put lots of insulation on the house, buy some longjohns, and watch my butler plow the drive and shovel the walks.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I have thought about this many times and finances was not an issue, the place I would live is where I am. Living Here I have Sense of Place, that is comfort and familiarity of my surroundings. Money cannot buy that for it takes years to develop and I desire not to do it again. Yes, I may buy another house and live in another neighborhood but it will still be in or near Denver.

In my case, finances are indeed not an issue, for I can live anywhere. I have a simple life with minimum needs, wants and desires--so I can live anywhere.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-09-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
If I could fly my cats and future dogs on a private jet I would have two places too . Gosh - I wasn't even thinking about that.....maybe three places. And if we do throw just the USA out of the picture - I'd like to go to St. Lucia for a couple of months a year as long as my animals could come with me. I guess with enough money it might be possible

Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I have lived in Scotland and I loved it.

I lived in Naples Italy, where it was really nice to be able to leisurely explore Rome, Sicily, and all that Italy has to offer.

I choose to retire to Maine, largely due to economics. I had never been to Maine prior to making that choice. I made many trips to Maine to verify what we expected to see here. I am on a very limited pension, so it does matter where I live. I can not afford, today, to live in many of the places where I have previously lived.

If I had more money? I would fix-up where I am. I would complete our shift to being off-grid; making our own electricity and fuel, our own food and fiber.

For us this is a great place to be.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
....Financials was not an issue at all?

I would choose San Francisco, CA.
Me too, one of those nice Seacliff Houses that you can pick up for $25-$30 million yet walk to Clement St and Geary Blvd

Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,959 times
money is a consideration, but that is probably not the major obstacle in retiring to a more appealing place.
i've always loved the southeast-not florida- and were it not for the frequent threat of hurricanes, i would probably like beaufort,s.c. or possibly edisto island,s.c. however, this was a dream of mine and my husband's, and since i no longer have him, the dream has lost much of its meaning for me.

catsy girl

Old 09-09-2011, 01:48 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Might as well buy that beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement