Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 04:48 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times

Advertisements

Nine more weeks until my wife retires. Her plans are to sub and possibly do some freelance work.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
With mixed thoughts mostly happy, I filed for Social Security!
Congratulations!

I see that you posted this on St. Patrick's Day. My wife and I always get dressed in green from head to toe and spend St. Patrick's Day at an Irish Pub in whatever city we happen to be in at the time. This year we went to Coral Gables and ended up making the local NBC newscast when the reporter set up for her live broadcast next to our table. Here's a link to the video of us being "interviewed." (Note: I don't know how much longer the link will be active, as I doubt the news station will keep the story on its website much longer.)

St Patrick's Day Celebrations | NBC 6 South Florida

Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Congratulations!

I see that you posted this on St. Patrick's Day. My wife and I always get dressed in green from head to toe and spend St. Patrick's Day at an Irish Pub in whatever city we happen to be in at the time. This year we went to Coral Gables and ended up making the local NBC newscast when the reporter set up for her live broadcast next to our table. Here's a link to the video of us being "interviewed." (Note: I don't know how much longer the link will be active, as I doubt the news station will keep the story on its website much longer.)

"Retirement Forum poster becomes famous! Teenage girls go ape!" The rest of us are left behind in the dust of our own anonymity. Well, part of the glory rubs off on the rest of us by association.

Glad you're still having fun doing stuff which is a bit off the beaten track. That's called being young at heart in my book.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Congratulations!

I saw it! How cool! Nice to put a face to a "name." Glad you and your wife got on camera, and had a great time!

ER, loved your "blurb." Yes, we who post on CD are "famous by association." And that is fine with me.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 03-20-2017 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Added more.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Mmob, looks like you had great fun!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I have a question and a rant.

The question has to do with receiving a rep for something I wrote in another topic. What does it mean when I receive a rep but nothing is filled in to the far right....... usually says something about reputation or the person who did the repping writes in their own comment. So when it is left blank, what is that all about? Thanks in advance.

Rant: Earlier morning, an 18 y/o boy was walking home from his job when a car hit him and left the scene. The driver of the car was found and he/she is an investigator for the D.A.'s office. A followup article said the young man is on life support and not expected to survive. My heart is broken for this boy; and I am so hoping that the driver does not get off easy because of their position.

Many, many years ago my father was hit and killed by a drunk driver in CA and the driver left the scene. Police eventually caught up with her. She had no idea she had hit him though there was quite a bit of evidence on the front of her car.

I'm sure my own experience colors how I feel about today's incident. No matter how long ago it is, you never forget how you felt when it happened.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Hello CDers from Prescott AZ ! I am in a new house, in a new town, and am trying to get used to it. Needless to say, it's a big deal for me. I will not be doing this again ever. Am only 2 hours away from my previous town, yet it feels like another world. This is a retirement community of about 100 homes and is just gorgeous here. I have Forsythia and Lilacs in my back yard with Iris and Tulips and Hyacinths ! Although I downsized from 1776 sf to 1320, I still have tons of room and lots of storage. So far, people are very nice but I see many old people all over and not many kids anywhere. After all the boxes are unpacked and the floors and walls are done, I will try to find my new life and new activities. The neighbor next door has been most helpful in steering me toward the right direction.

For all who are wondering, the move was a nightmare. Nothing went right. The mortgage co. sent the funds to the wrong bank and the house didn't close so I had to go to LaQuinta for 2 nights. The Uhaul truck was not in the place it was supposed to be, and the mover helpers I hired and paid for did not show up.

Such is life. The trials and tribulations of moving are not to be taken lightly. As I said, never again !

Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Thank you, Barb, for updating us. I have enjoyed reading your saga and was wondering how things were going for you! I am very happy for you and wish you well in your new home, and in your new life.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hello CDers from Prescott AZ ! I am in a new house, in a new town, and am trying to get used to it. Needless to say, it's a big deal for me. I will not be doing this again ever. Am only 2 hours away from my previous town, yet it feels like another world. This is a retirement community of about 100 homes and is just gorgeous here. I have Forsythia and Lilacs in my back yard with Iris and Tulips and Hyacinths ! Although I downsized from 1776 sf to 1320, I still have tons of room and lots of storage. So far, people are very nice but I see many old people all over and not many kids anywhere. After all the boxes are unpacked and the floors and walls are done, I will try to find my new life and new activities. The neighbor next door has been most helpful in steering me toward the right direction.

For all who are wondering, the move was a nightmare. Nothing went right. The mortgage co. sent the funds to the wrong bank and the house didn't close so I had to go to LaQuinta for 2 nights. The Uhaul truck was not in the place it was supposed to be, and the mover helpers I hired and paid for did not show up.

Such is life. The trials and tribulations of moving are not to be taken lightly. As I said, never again !
Sorry to hear about all the issues with the move. But it sounds like you are getting settled in a nice place. Keep us posted. I am going to have to move soon.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
After hearing days of winter storm and snow forecasts, I was really looking to waking up this morning to a winter wonderland. I believe I got 4 drops of rain and had winds of 20 to 30mph all night. Clear and 25mph winds now. Phooey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement