Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 03:43 PM

2,829 posts, read 1,774,260 times

Advertisements

Recipes, the ones I would use all the time, I put in a photograph album, one you could slide photos in and out of; discovered this from a friend, so she could see the back of the recipe---Taste of Home. Took the index cards from the tin recipe can, put that at the 1st slot, then the recipes for the category i.e., appetizers, breads, casseroles (hot dishes).

A few cookbooks I still have, gave many to people who would use that particular book i.e. a Mexican microwave to a favorite waitress who was pleased to receive it.

allrecipes. com I enjoy, as the reviewers tell what they enjoy about the recipe, possible additions, or deletions to the recipe.
One helpful hint that I have used for years, what to cook for dinner. Sunday, special, a roast, steak, Monday, pasta, Tuesdays, leftovers from Sundays, Saturdays, soup, chili in winter time, salads, summertime. Did not necessarily have the dish that day, though when I went shopping, purchased the ingredients I needed. THEN when it came time for dinner, did not have to stress out what to cook !

Bon Appetite !

Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
The easy-peasy way to save recipes from family cookbooks is to just aim your phone camera at the book/page and snap a pic.
Then save them in a photo album labelled "Recipes" or somesuch.

In addition, if you (like me) have an iPhone cookbook app, you simply upload the snapped pics to the app.
Done and dusted, and when you're grocery shopping you open the app/recipe to buy the ingredients.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:17 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,178,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Am I the only one that noticed these things and asks about them? I guess the three of us have different interests since none of us wanted the same mementos.
I have a homemade baseball made for him by my father's mother in 1921. I asked for it and it sits on my bookcase. Probably when I am gone it will be thrown away.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,184,223 times
Having a rather rough week down here in Arizona -- there is a large --and growing--forest fire here, and it is impacting many folks. I'm praying for all the front line workers, and I am sure this is horrible for all the wildlife involved, too. On another note, an extended family member, only 49, is being discharged from the hospital today, and they say they can do nothing more, and he's only 49. We all need to stop for a bit, each day, and count our blessings -- things can always be worse -- and keep in touch with those we care about!! I you you all have as good a day as you can! Make memories -- even if it is just a phone call to say "Hello" to an old friend!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,098,924 times
^^^^^^ Thank you Hollyhock Garden. I wish the same for you.

Those fires are so scary and often tragic. I can't imagine losing everything in a fire and loss of life is horrible. Stay safe!!!

Very sorry for the 49-year-old person...... hard to accept that kind of news at times. But none of us are "done" until we are done.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Having a rather rough week down here in Arizona -- there is a large --and growing--forest fire here, and it is impacting many folks. I'm praying for all the front line workers, and I am sure this is horrible for all the wildlife involved, too. On another note, an extended family member, only 49, is being discharged from the hospital today, and they say they can do nothing more, and he's only 49. We all need to stop for a bit, each day, and count our blessings -- things can always be worse -- and keep in touch with those we care about!! I you you all have as good a day as you can! Make memories -- even if it is just a phone call to say "Hello" to an old friend!

My daughter was evacuated from Mayer yesterday and is with me right now. She's, pretty much, glued to the TV catching all the news. We have smoke all around us at this point. The fire to the south and the one up by Flagstaff. Looks pretty bad out there. Hopefully the fire won't get to Mayer proper but you just never know. We are praying about it though. And now they have evacuated Dewey/Humboldt!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,184,223 times
AZDesertBrat -- So sorry to hear your daughter has been evacuated! I hope and pray that this fire can be controlled. And I worry about all the animals, too. Just plain ANGRY to hear about some clown flying a drone up in the area and endangering our helicopter pilots! I heard that info from someone else, so not sure I got it straight, but I was told they had to ground all the helicopters until they drone was down. I have friends in Prescott Valley and know they are evacuating some in east PV. Some family friends who live there actually have a sick baby and have been having trouble with the G-tube and actually having a nurse come to deliver a new one today -- so life is going on there. Just wonder if they will need to evacuate because of the smoke! And PHXBARB lives somewhere in the area -- hoping she is okay, too!

Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times
Yesterday was my 8 month retirement anniversary. I am both happy and unhappy. As I suspected, you don't just turn into a new person when you retire. My old personal problems and worries are still with me, compounded by my inability to make a leap to a new location and "start a new life" (um, right). I should have been long gone from her by now. But, I am shamefully happy being really lazy in my crap apt and just reading and watching tv.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
Giesela, I retired at 63 and DH joined me 16 months later. At that time we set a goal: to relocate prior to my 70th birthday (I'm older than him so that meant before either of us turned 70.)

We kept that always in the backs of our minds as we traveled and also when doing maintenance on our home. When traveling, we usually - but not always - were "trying out places" to live. When making home maintenance and upgrade decisions, we considered that we would be selling in that time frame. For example, when it came time to repaint we choose a more neutral and light color than if we had planned to remain there long term. We also started what ended up being a long leisurely decluttering process.

Long story short, we made a relocation plan and worked it while enjoying our first several years of retirement. A few years later we found our new home town, and the moving decision and process were stress free because we were prepared in so many ways. We made the move right after my 68th birthday, 2 years ahead of schedule.

So my suggestion is to set a mental deadline for your new life and relocation, mentally commit to it, and take baby steps toward it while enjoying your new leisure. If you're inclined it's fun to do a "vision board" of where you want to be by a certain age. Back when, people cut out pics and articles from magazines and ads. These days, Pinterest is great for that.
Even though we're sure this is our forever home, I still enjoy looking at my Pinterest board of places I might want to live someday. I have another board labelled "Body and Soul" that helped get me on track for exercising and meditating; and one for "Things to Try" that includes classes, daytrips, cultural events, etc. I of course don't do all of them but I do some and it keeps me looking.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:59 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,023,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
AZDesertBrat -- So sorry to hear your daughter has been evacuated! I hope and pray that this fire can be controlled. And I worry about all the animals, too. Just plain ANGRY to hear about some clown flying a drone up in the area and endangering our helicopter pilots! I heard that info from someone else, so not sure I got it straight, but I was told they had to ground all the helicopters until they drone was down. I have friends in Prescott Valley and know they are evacuating some in east PV. Some family friends who live there actually have a sick baby and have been having trouble with the G-tube and actually having a nurse come to deliver a new one today -- so life is going on there. Just wonder if they will need to evacuate because of the smoke! And PHXBARB lives somewhere in the area -- hoping she is okay, too!
Hollyhock and DesertBrat: Isn't this something? What I heard is that the chief fire fighter absolutely does not want to risk any lives, anywhere for this fire, because of the 19 Hotshot firefighters who were killed a few years ago. He is being very conservative about putting his men in the line of the fire, unless it is actually threatening homes or buildings. So maybe that's why they are not making much progress.

I am safe and not even smelling smoke here. I guess the wind is blowing the other direction. Am having the kitchen remodeled, so if the house is threatened by fire, it will all be for nothing ! Stay safe everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.