Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hey: Aren't your fireworks banned like ours in Prescott? So many people were waiting for it and then they decided, because of the fire, to cancel. I thought Chino was just a few miles away? I will watch it on TV.

No not banned but I was beginning to wonder! They were supposed to start at 8:45 and end at 9:20. They started at 9:20 but until they did I thought they had been cancelled. Just about the time I was going online to find out I heard the first 'boom'. I'm close enough that those booms are pretty loud!

They were fantastic again this year but I always think they are. The fairgrounds are about 5 blocks from me and when those things go up they look like they are right over my head. In my face, for sure! I love it. I can sit, all comfy, on my couch and watch it all. Don't have to deal with the crowds.

When I lived in Prescott they had the fireworks at the high school a few blocks from my house. They should have them at the fairgrounds where there's way less chance of fires.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
We went to one in Omaha last Friday. Waiting for it to get a darker so the big kids (grown ups) can shoot off theirs
I lived in Omaha for 3 years. I was shocked and amazed at how big individual and neighborhood firework displays were! Crazy big! Nothing like that in MI or OH. We have sparklers, firecrackers, a few bottle rockets.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
This was our first 4th of July and fireworks in FL. Nature's fireworks totally eclipsed the man-made ones. We had our picnic dinner at the beach and the grandkids played in the sand and we swam and then the rain came. It was a warm rain and we walked in it and looked at the marked sea turtle nests.

Blues skies and rainbows popped out. We heard thunder though and a pop up thunderstorm was forming. We went and sat in our cars and watched some impressive lightning. The rain stopped before the fireworks began and we went back on the beach to watch. We were away from the large crowds where the fireworks were being shot off and there were storms north of there for a background. The cloud to ground and cloud to cloud lightening were spectacular, lighting up the skies all around but far enough away to be safe.

It was awe inspiring to be there, what a great first time and fun memories!

DH caught an early flight for work and I put away all the things that dried overnight and swept the sand away. I got a haircut and am now sitting in a coffee shop enjoying a cup It feels like a Monday even though I'm retired: two weeks in one this week.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Going trout fishing at my lake 11,000 feet in elevation. Maybe it will be cooler up there.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Well, my nice morning was marred as I was slowly backing out of a parking spot in a parking lot next to a big work truck. I didn'tt see the car coming and they didn't see me until our bumpers met in slow motion.

I have a paint scuff on my rear corner and they had a dent by the side turn signal and a corner of their grill popped out. No police were called, I got their insurance info and took photos of the scene and damage and their license plate, but didn't get their personal info that I need to make a report online to the police, so I'll see if the insurance company can help me with that. It's no fault here, so I put in a claim to document only.

I have not had an accident in over 38 years, I had a couple of them when I was in my early twenties during a particularly icy winter. Now I'll be better prepared the next time this happens as fair as insisting on getting their address etc., but I hope it will be a long time and I'll have forgotten again by then.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:29 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Hope each of you enjoyed celebrating our nation's birthday And survived your shopping expeditions !

Olympic Peninsula, younger son, family just return from the Air Rifle National Competition in Grand Island, NE. 15 yr grandson, won 9th place out of 95 competitors in the US, only one to medal in WA state. Very disciplined, even watches what he eats ! This is part, I believe of the 4H ?,next competitions to earn points to be in the Olympics !

70's finally on the Oly Peninsula, summer has arrived ! Each of you have a good day !

Old 07-06-2017, 01:45 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
No sleeping here for awhile. A beautiful thunder & lightning storm. I love those storms! But it is hard to sleep when they're so booming.

May get up & watch some late night TV.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
It was 65f fishing yesterday, got home 107f here. Heading back up to go fishing today, an hour drive one way but sure worth it to get out of this stupid heat. Caught my limit of 4 rainbow trout yesterday, two went on the grill for supper. Will catch another limit today.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Oh my! It was 107f in Colorado? Fishing up at a mountain lake sounds like a much better alternative, Jim! I hope you have a great day fishing, and enjoy that cool mountain air. It will be hot here in AZ, we have an excessive heat warning again. The humidity is increasing here: I was outside at 6am and there were already some small clouds in the sky.

MEO, I am looking forward to a good thunderstorm! Yes, it is hard to sleep through a booming T-storm. The only thing I feel bad about is when something catches fire from a lightning strike. The daughter of a FB friend actually had her home catch fire and burn down on the 4th of July, in Florida. Fortunately, no one was home, but it burned to the ground. The good thing is they have a strong extended family and also a church family, and they are getting good emotional and physical support.

I hope everyone has a good day!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:50 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Nature's work way outdid any fireworks but am extremely tired today as slept very little. Still glad I saw & heard the thunder & lightning.

Your fish sound delicious Jim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement