Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times

Advertisements

My crisp is 66 degrees this morning and low humidity. The lanai doors are wide open and it's lovely. My old dog who has been slowing down was perky on his walk today. The weather has been transitioning for a few weeks with teasers of nicer weather to come.

We had heavy rain the other day after I planted a Nam Doc Mai mango tree I bought at a Thai Buddha temple we visited over the weekend. They have a Thai food court and plants for sale from vendors. I also found a Thai red pepper plant, I've been looking for one and was happy to find it.

It's taken me a while to figure out the gardening season is in the fall for our part of FL. I have a tomato plant going and replaced my basil plant. The basil was over a year old and had gotten woody and was not producing as much, we use a lot of basil.

There's a system out in the Gulf that looks like it will dump a lot of rain over the weekend and hopefully won't develop into much more. Hurricane season doesn't end until Nov 30th.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-25-2017 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 07:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Triple digit days here. Too warm (and dry) to go walking even early mornings. Luckily it's only for a few more days. And more luckily (and thanks to quick, ready firefighters), no more serious conflagrations.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Just got back from a brisk walk with my dog on our mountain. 35degrees, clear and beautiful. I love this weather.
32 this morning, been in the lower 30's at night and 60's during the day. It's modern gun deer season so I don't dare go for a walk this week. Stupid hunters everywhere and I hear gunshots from dawn to dusk.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:29 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
32 this morning, been in the lower 30's at night and 60's during the day. It's modern gun deer season so I don't dare go for a walk this week. Stupid hunters everywhere and I hear gunshots from dawn to dusk.
That’s a shame because it is fine weather for walking. There is no hunting in our area, we do hear gunshots occasionally-but sound travels far in the mountains.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Well, yesterday's first day in the hospital was pretty uneventful once I got admitted. I arrived at the Cancer Center next to the hospital to see my oncologist at 10:00am. The appointment was concluded at 10:30 and I was told that I was just waiting for a room to be available on the appropriate floor of the hospital. After sitting and waiting until noon, I had had enough and told my wife that we were leaving and going to lunch.

When we advised staff that we were leaving for lunch, we were told that my room would be ready in 30 minutes. I replied that that was fine, but we would be back in 90. I added that I was sure that the room wasn't going anywhere. We then drove about 2 miles away to one of the few remaining old-style Jewish Delis on Miami Beach. I had a great corned beef sandwich with coleslaw and dill pickles on the side (which they serve in big bowls for the whole table). I figured that I'd enjoy one last good meal before restarting the chemo and having nausea kick in.

We returned to the hospital about 1:30pm and I was whisked away to my assigned room. The chemo was started shortly thereafter without incident. Later that night when the night shift nurse came on, I advised her that I wasn't sick (other than the cancer, lol) and technically could be getting my chemo as an outpatient, so I didn't want to be awakened several times in the middle of the night to have my vital signs checked if I was sleeping. I added that if I happened to be awake (and I am usually awake for a period of time in the middle of the night) then it would be okay to check my vitals, but if not, to let me sleep. She agreed and I got a good night's sleep.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, yesterday's first day in the hospital was pretty uneventful once I got admitted. I arrived at the Cancer Center next to the hospital to see my oncologist at 10:00am. The appointment was concluded at 10:30 and I was told that I was just waiting for a room to be available on the appropriate floor of the hospital. After sitting and waiting until noon, I had had enough and told my wife that we were leaving and going to lunch.

When we advised staff that we were leaving for lunch, we were told that my room would be ready in 30 minutes. I replied that that was fine, but we would be back in 90. I added that I was sure that the room wasn't going anywhere. We then drove about 2 miles away to one of the few remaining old-style Jewish Delis on Miami Beach. I had a great corned beef sandwich with coleslaw and dill pickles on the side (which they serve in big bowls for the whole table). I figured that I'd enjoy one last good meal before restarting the chemo and having nausea kick in.

We returned to the hospital about 1:30pm and I was whisked away to my assigned room. The chemo was started shortly thereafter without incident. Later that night when the night shift nurse came on, I advised her that I wasn't sick (other than the cancer, lol) and technically could be getting my chemo as an outpatient, so I didn't want to be awakened several times in the middle of the night to have my vital signs checked if I was sleeping. I added that if I happened to be awake (and I am usually awake for a period of time in the middle of the night) then it would be okay to check my vitals, but if not, to let me sleep. She agreed and I got a good night's sleep.

Isn't it great when they actually co operate with you?? Most of those vitals checks aren't even necessary and just a repeat of the last one! I think that's why mine got fewer as well. Hope you get lots of rest and sleep!

I'm jealous of your lunch. Sounds totally yummy!!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
That’s a shame because it is fine weather for walking. There is no hunting in our area, we do hear gunshots occasionally-but sound travels far in the mountains.
I live on the edge of 9,000 acres of federal land, it sounds like WW3 here. Next week I'll find beer cans, spent shells and deer and elk parts scattered all over my trail.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
MMofB: Good for you ! Am wishing I had that sandwich !!

Good luck and get better !

Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
MMoB: So glad you can still see humor in your situation. You are a brave man. And I am really glad you asserted yourself and took your wife out to lunch.

Still praying for your recovery and better health.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
An update from Minnesota. Winter storms advisory. Did not want to rub it in but so glad I moved to Arizona right about now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement