Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 07:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Just realized that I forgot to provide an update. My oncologist said that the PET Scan came back completely clean, with no trace of the tumors, and no unusual activity anywhere else. I, of course, was thrilled with that, so I asked him if we could start using the "R word" (for remission) or if it was too soon. His reply shocked me, but in a good way: he said that "cure has an r" and went on to add that although I will need to get CT scans every three months for at least the next year, he is 90% - 95% confident that I am cured.

So as you can imagine both I, and especially my wife, were thrilled with that. I was hoping to hear about a possible remission, and he was talking about cured. So after 8 separate hospitalizations in the past 8 months, including 4 months of chemo followed by a month of radiation, the celebratory trip to Asia is on! I've just finished packing for our flight to Singapore later today. After a few days there, we'll be boarding a two-week cruise to Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, and then disembarking in Hong Kong, where we'll continue the celebration for four more nights.

We partied quite a bit in our younger days, but I think that this will be the sweetest celebration of them all.
Congratulations!! I'm going to have a beer in your, and your wife's, honor next time we go to McMullans.

And in the same vein as the confetti here are some daytime fireworks. Set it to full screen by clicking on the link below the pic which will take you to YouTube where it can be done.

About one minute in is when it gets good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp65bdhvK3E

Old 02-13-2018, 08:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
If I may just indulge myself for a minute!! I am SO PLEASED Shaun White won the gold in the half pipe. Wow, I've been watching him, tho he did not participate in the last Olympics, but he really outdid himself tonight!!!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
If I may just indulge myself for a minute!! I am SO PLEASED Shaun White won the gold in the half pipe. Wow, I've been watching him, tho he did not participate in the last Olympics, but he really outdid himself tonight!!!
Good for him! Gosh his qualifying run he almost got 100 points, that's insane. Happy for Chloe Kim too. She is adorable! At 17 I think I was just getting to be able to cross the street alone, crazy!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 PM

^^^^^^ Me, too Jim. Watching them performing..... how can they do that? It is so amazing to me and I love watching them all.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
MMoB Very happy to hear your wonderful news. I hope you and your wife have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Taking my big sisters to Valentine's Day lunch today.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I hope so too. I'm really glad that others are having such success with their surgeries. For me, it's just the 'usual'. I'm always the 'different' one for one reason or another. lol Whatever is normal for others probably won't be for me and that's happened a lot in my life. On the bright side though, things that others often find 'difficult' are a piece of cake for me, ie healing so fast and well from a broken hip and things like that. So, I take the good and bad and just roll with it.
Don’t think everything is sunshine and roses for everyone else all the time.

My second eye did go well... until the numbing drops and dilation wore off. Damn, it hurt! The eye doctor on my follow up visit put in a soft contact “bandage” to calm the cornea. It was instant relief. I need to see her this afternoon to have it taken out. And I’m not leaving unless I’m assured I won’t feel that pain again tonight when no one is available to help me.

The good news is I can read more than the E on the chart, I could read the first three lines even with the pain going on. I’ve never been able to see this much on the chart without correction. So now I’m trying to see what I can read with this eye. I may forgive the surgeon for the pain if he’s corrected my vision as much as I think he has. Their office’s happy processes works well, the unhappy path needs work.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-14-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I think it depends on your doctor to go to bat for you. Good luck at your next appointment.

Thanks! That will be next Monday when they do my right eye. I am having a heck of a time with only one lens in my glasses. Very weird! I can still see better with the right one than the left.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:25 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Don’t think everything is sunshine and roses for everyone else all the time.

My second eye did go well... until the numbing drops and dilation wore off. Damn, it hurt! The eye doctor on my follow up visit put in a soft contact “bandage” to calm the cornea. It was instant relief. I need to see her this afternoon to have it taken out. And I’m not leaving unless I’m assured I won’t feel that pain again tonight when no one is available to help me.

The good news is I can read more than the E on the chart, I could read the first three lines even with the pain going on. I’ve never been able to see this much on the chart without correction. So now I’m trying to see what I can read with this eye. I may forgive the surgeon for the pain if he’s corrected my vision as much as I think he has. Their office’s happy processes works well, the unhappy path needs work.

Yes, I know, it's more of an individual thing. I guess I was just expecting to experience what 'most' of the folks I've talked to did. Most of them don't have the additional problems I do, I guess.

Everything went so well on the first eye I sure hope it goes as well with the second one! No pain, just a tad of 'scratchy' now and then but they gave me dry eye drops for that and it works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement