Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 06:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I need to vent a bit. In a town not that far from Syracuse, NY (Waterloo, NY) there was a bad situation where a man was violent toward a woman and others and over some time he had three orders of protection against him. Then he did something that violated these and the police talked to the judge about it saying they felt he was a real danger to the other people.

The judge said NO.

That man just shot 3 people, killing two of them.

Talk about not doing your job. That judge failed miserably. There is no getting those 2 dead people back.
It must be very frustrating to the police. I've heard of things like this back where I used to live. The police see it all the time, they are in the know, but a judge lets the idiot go free. So sorry that this happened and two people had to lose their lives because of it.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
When I first came to Colorado to visit family I made the mistake of driving I70 through Denver at 4pm. NEVER again. And my trusty gps just before the Eisenhower Tunnel screamed turn left NOW! Which would have put me in the middle of the Colorado River. After several minutes of that stupid thing yelling turn left NOW! I unplugged it, miles later plugged it back it only to hear turn around NOW! Maybe someone found it around Rifle...where I threw it out the window.
Brought up two memories. The earlier was when we took a two week driving trip from Des Moines, IA to the SE part of the US. There is a diagonal highway in IA that saves a ton of time. Highway 63. Well, near Fairfield, IA (Maharishi University where they "levitate") our GPS kept telling us to turn left. Into a corn field. We turned it off. On the way back it did the same thing at the same place. Hmmm...

Rifle, CO. There is one restaurant in town (besides McDonalds) where you can sit down. It's a barbecue place and they had some of the best ribs we've ever eaten. Half way through the meal the manager came to the table and asked how things were, etc. When he found out we were in the midst of moving from Des Moines to Las Vegas he bought us a beer. And the desert. Lord the desert. Pecan pie (I love pecan pie!) it came "burnt" around the edges and I thought, "Great. Burnt pie." But it was probably the best pecan pie ever.

So if anyone drives past Rifle, CO stop for some ribs and pie.

Oh, a Denver story. We were on the Interstate that goes through the city. There was a little white car in the turnaround that the Highway patrol uses. Rush hour and it was busy. Just before we get to the turnaround they pull out and go across all the lanes to end up in the rightmost. Everyone missed them. How I do not know. We pulled alongside them and it was full of giggling teenage girls. I'm guessing stoned. And lucky.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
OK, so I see another thread has been deleted !!! Why??? We were helping NYGal find ways to meet older gentlemen in her area. Nothing wrong with that. It was interesting and it's GONE. Could someone tell me where it went or am I just not seeing it????

No idea, AZgarden. I didn't know this till I read this.

I believe this is the second time one of my threads was deleted. No reason ever given. I do have a hunch someone who has the capability to do this doesn't like me. Oh well. Life is like that sometimes.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM

^^^^^^^^^ Oops.... I just found it. AZgarden, it's still here!

Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
Oh good. I am glad it's back but I also see a warning about what not to discuss, so I hope we can keep it going.

You have many many ideas and am wondering if you are going to take one or two and follow up? That would also be a good topic for a thread: What happened after you actually tried some of this stuff. I admire your willingness to venture out there. As for me, I have kissed too many frogs along the way. LOL

Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Oh good. I am glad it's back but I also see a warning about what not to discuss, so I hope we can keep it going.

You have many many ideas and am wondering if you are going to take one or two and follow up? That would also be a good topic for a thread: What happened after you actually tried some of this stuff. I admire your willingness to venture out there. As for me, I have kissed too many frogs along the way. LOL
True about the frogs for me, too. Ribbit

There are a lot of good suggestions offered on that thread. I know I need to post something there and have thought about what I might say.

This will sound ridiculous, I guess, but sometimes I just get a thought that it might be nice to have a man in my life. Maybe it's a movie I saw, or a couple in a store, or a song I hear. I guess that proves I am still alive!

But then when I start thinking again, I realize I'm OK the way things are. I've been single a long time, did have a long-term relationship after divorce, but as much as I enjoyed him, I also didn't like some of the things he did. He wanted the relationship to go on; I just could not do it. After I moved to TX he found someone and got married. And for that I am truly happy for him.

And truly glad it wasn't me.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:27 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ok some guy in England is marrying some American actress I never heard of and the news media here is going crazy. I don't get it. Well at least they stopped talking about this Russian nonsense for a second.

I'm going fishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You mean the Special Counsel investigation that so far has yielded 17 criminal indictments and 5 guilty pleas?

That Russian "nonsense"?

Well I guess that we can add an additional 12 indictments that has come out of the investigation into "this Russian nonsense." And all 12 persons who were indicted are Russian intelligence officers.

I guess that's just an incredible coincidence.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:49 PM

Incredible I say! LOL @ deniers.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:44 PM

Will it ever be?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 3,728 times
Default Hi everyone!

This is AZDesertBrat but CD wouldn't let me log in with my ID so I made another one. Been totally offline for 5 whole days. Having withdrawals but am at my nephews so can finally get here, if in a roundabout way. Still playing with my new phone and tablet but not getting anywhere fast. lol

So...I left home at noon on Wed. and made it to Santa Fe NM the first day. Got lost trying to get out of there but made it. Ran into one big rain storm in NM and another just cross the CO line at Trinidad. BAD stuff. Sat by the road for 1/2 hour waiting for it to pass. Spent the second night iin SE CO and then took, probably the longest most boring drive I've ever done to NE! All to miss Denver. lol Hundreds of miles of nothingness. Some agriculture, lots of livestock and little else.

Spent Fri. night in Grand Island, NE and made it to Sioux Falls, SD about 3 PM. Sooo glad to finally get here. Felt like a whipped pup and wanted to sit on something that wasn't moving!! lol I didn't realize I had to cross the entire state of NE to get here! Even did a little whoopdeedo into Iowa.

It's hot and humid up here. I'm used to AZ humidity, not this! It's nice, if damp, in the evenings so can sit on the deck and watch the fireflies. I've seen about half the family already but a lot more to get to. Fortunately they come to ME so I don't have to go a lot.

I'll probably be here till next Sat.. We are going to a 'murder dinner' Fri. so that should be fun. In the meantime I do plan of getting out to check out some sights around here. Pretty town.

So, just thought I'd check in. Will go back to my regular ID when I get home. Feel like I'll have to 'reintroduce' myself for every post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement