Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 08:26 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times

Advertisements

My thought for this morning . . let's have some prayers and good thoughts for our C-D members who live (or lived) in Paradise, California. As you've probably heard on the news, the town has been obliterated by a wildfire that is still raging with no containment in sight. At least two of our frequent posters live there. One has checked in on the California forum so while she believes her house is gone, she and her family, furry and human, are OK and staying in a nearby town. So any moral support anyone has to offer will be appreciated, I'm sure. There's a thread with a link to information about the fire on the California forum if anyone is looking for updates other than mainstream media which is, understandably, having a hard time keeping up.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Goodness. Just heard that 5 people in 2 cars, trying to get out, were burned to death.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:55 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
My thought for this morning . . let's have some prayers and good thoughts for our C-D members who live (or lived) in Paradise, California. As you've probably heard on the news, the town has been obliterated by a wildfire that is still raging with no containment in sight. At least two of our frequent posters live there. One has checked in on the California forum so while she believes her house is gone, she and her family, furry and human, are OK and staying in a nearby town. So any moral support anyone has to offer will be appreciated, I'm sure. There's a thread with a link to information about the fire on the California forum if anyone is looking for updates other than mainstream media which is, understandably, having a hard time keeping up.
Definitely been a very bad year for a lot of people. Between the fires and the hurricanes, many have had their theirs lives disrupted for a long time, if not forever. And that is just the survivors. Hopefully they will have better days ahead of them.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:01 PM
JRR

Not quite as cold here, but it is a rainy, raw day. Got up to 45 this afternoon and now on the way down to high 20s tonight. Not even going to hit 40 tomorrow and a chance of some rain mixed with snow on Tuesday AM. Days like this it is really nice to have the gas heat kick in as it keeps the house nice and warm.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 PM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
Default Paradise, CA

While searching for our retirement home, we looked at houses in Paradise and Magalia. My heart goes out to the residents and crews facing the fires.

In 2017 we were living less than 5 miles from the Santa Rosa fires.

We lived through 2 big fires while in So. Cal.

This year we settled on a wonderful home in the Sierra foothills about 100 miles from Paradise. I can only hope we will not have to face another fire.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:01 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
A neighbor's brother lives there. He got out in time then saw the house, or what was left, on the news. Burned to the ground. He was just thankful to get out.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
I just wanted to check in, haven't been on in a while. I am hospitalized, and today my daughter brought over my laptop. My C-D password is in there -- one less thing to think about. Maybe be doing major surgery next week, so many things going on.

Terrible about the fires in CA, as well as the hurricanes and other disasters. My prayers are with the victims families, and, of course, the first responders and brave back-up people, all working so hard.

Jim, I am glad to hear you are having peace and quiet; hope the stove works out well and keeps you warm. And there is always your furry friend -- he can help, too!

NYgal -- Thinking and hoping for a nice recovery for you. We have gone through a couple of rounds of basal cell here. It does take a while to heal, but they do such a great job now days. It was smart to get in and get it done pronto.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:56 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
NYGal, I hope you’re feeling better and healing now.

HollyHockGarden, having your laptop is good and will make being in the hospital more tolerable. You’ve got a lot going on, take care and keep us updated.

It’s been close to a year since we had our fourteen year old dog put down and we miss having a dog in our lives. We contacted a rescue group about a puppy, submitted an application and heard back from them yesterday. We’ll set up a date to see her this week. I’m trying to stay detached, make a logical decision and walk away if needed. Yeah, right!

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-11-2018 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 08:22 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

Jim, I am glad to hear you are having peace and quiet; hope the stove works out well and keeps you warm. And there is always your furry friend -- he can help, too!

Too cold for the drunks and shooters to be out, I have an electric blanket and a quilt so I'm warm at night, unless the power goes out, which it does at times.

I hope things work well for you while in the hospital.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:25 PM
JRR

Beautiful day out today. Lots of sunshine and in the mid 50s. I planted 30 tulip bulbs and 8 hyacinths in the front. First time I've planted spring bulbs since 1979 when we lived in South Carolina. This clay soil really gave me a workout. So different from the sandy soil I had in Florida for all those years.

The hard freeze of the last couple of nights fried my canna. Got to cut it off at the ground and pile some mulch on it for the winter. No color left in the front flowerbed, even though one of my miniature roses has popped out a lot of new growth in the last few days.

Our forecast of possible snow Tuesday and Wednesday has changed. Temperature has been bumped up enough to be just rain. Going to be a couple of good days to kick back inside. We do have a dr appointment tomorrow for a consultation for my wife to schedule having a port put in for her upcoming immunothereapy treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement