Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Snowing all around me, it's so windy here my wind gauge thing blew off. 28f outside. Struggling to stay 62 in here.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
This is a busy week for my wife. Yesterday was with the general surgeon about the port in her chest for the immunotherapy. Today was pre-surgery testing at the hospital. The port is installed tomorrow and the plastic surgeon takes out the stitches in her arm on Thursday. Then to top it off, the first immunotherapy session is on Friday.

For me, I have the easy part. I just accompany her. I am getting my hair cut on Friday. Looking forward to a more peaceful week coming up.

Food Lion did have turkey for 27 cents a pound, so for $3.33 we got a bird for Thanksgiving. Turkey, stuffing and gravy, sauteed brussels sprouts with walnuts and bacon, and pumpkin pie are on the menu. There will be tons of leftovers for sure. Glad that we now have a freezer in the garage.

Another day of cold drizzle. Chance of some snow on Thursday night. But then the sun shows up Friday for the weekend. All the rain has pretty much knocked the leaves off of the trees, so the bare winter look is moving along.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Snowing all around me, it's so windy here my wind gauge thing blew off. 28f outside. Struggling to stay 62 in here.
Dang, 62 inside is a might bit chilly for me! Your weather does tend to move in extremes.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Stitches were removed today. Oh I feel so much better. Those things itch like crazy. The nurse was somewhat upset at how red the skin is but it has been like that for a few days. No infection. Just skin that reacts that way.

Hoping that is the last of it on my face. But will not be surprised if there is more.

JRR, I wish your wife the best and hope it all works out for her. It's nice that you are there for her support. I'm pretty used to "winging" it on my own. So long as I can drive myself there and back home.

Your turkey dinner sounds good. I just received an invitation to a friend's house for dinner. Looking forward to it.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
JRR, I pray all will go very well for your wife with her procedures. Glad you are there to help her. 27 cents per lb for turkey is the cheapest I have heard about so far, Roasted brussels are one of my favorites, too. Being in the hospital right now they have them on the "No" list because the leaf is considered too big/bulky for the low fiber diet, so I can't have them now. Oh well, they are the boss right now, and I need to get better, so whatever they say!!!

Jim, 62 is a bit nippy! I hope you can get your overall room temp up a little warmer. I hope the weather cooperates, and do hope you get some moisture to stay in the area near-by, and definitely no wind damage.

NYgal, sorry about the redness, but glad your are healing nicely. Hopefully you will feel less sore by the time of Thanksgiving.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 AM

It was 9 the other morning, pellet stove on full blast kept it 58 in here. Cold doesn't bother me, I put on a sweatshirt and I have a quilt I sleep under. It's so drafty here any wind howls through the windows and walls. Makes that old horror movie whistling sound.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:07 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Jim, you need to buy a dozen tubes of caulk and some great stuff foam for the big holes. Caulk comes in different colors so it will blend in with the décor. Go around on a windy day and put tape to remind you where the cracks are. You may need to wait for a "warm" afternoon so the caulk can cure without freezing.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
For anyone else where the breezes aren't so obvious - you can put a fan it one window surrounded by cardboard - turn it to blow out and the breezes/cracks will be obvious. best to mark with tape and caulk later if you don't want the window open too long.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Jim, you need to buy a dozen tubes of caulk and some great stuff foam for the big holes. Caulk comes in different colors so it will blend in with the décor. Go around on a windy day and put tape to remind you where the cracks are. You may need to wait for a "warm" afternoon so the caulk can cure without freezing.

I would have to caulk every single wall, window frames, doors. The landlord refuses to do anything, and I'm not spending any more money.

Anyway, the wind howling and whistling through the walls gives this place that eerie haunted run down place in the middle of nowhere feel.

I found out years ago one of the renters of this place was murdered here, so it's got that going for it too.

Nite all...

Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 AM

My mistake, the guy committed suicide here wasn't murdered. Just adds to the charm of this place.

And I do put plastic sheeting on all the windows in winter. Most of them are cracked, broken or have bullet holes in them. It helps a bit with the draft but the wind still howls through the walls and frames.

Anyway, 47 in here this morning (pellet stove shut off again). But had a nice sunrise walk with the dog at 19 degrees outside. Saw a huge red fox, and counted a herd of 18 deer walking along a ridgeline above us. At least it's quiet at sunrise here, too early for the drunks to be up and shooting.

Last edited by jim9251; 11-15-2018 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement