U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,391,262 times

Advertisements

August has been cool and pleasant so far but today the heat returns. Doing my circuit this morning I saw about twice as many people out as I usually do. Guess everyone wants to get that dog walked to before the heat kicks in.

Can't believe some of the kids are returning to school next week. Why do they do that--August is way too hot for kids to be in school, IMO. They really ought to wait until after Labor Day.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM

35,885 posts, read 68,185,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
August has been cool and pleasant so far but today the heat returns. Doing my circuit this morning I saw about twice as many people out as I usually do. Guess everyone wants to get that dog walked to before the heat kicks in.

Can't believe some of the kids are returning to school next week. Why do they do that--August is way too hot for kids to be in school, IMO. They really ought to wait until after Labor Day.
Some of the counties in NC are already in school! They do this to have a cushion for Snow Days; otherwise, kids end up going to school well into June.

So we are already dealing with school buses here in the mountains of NC!

Today has been dreary until a few moments ago -- and the sun finally peeped through the dense clouds! Rain yesterday evening and overnight . . . I am afraid to look at the forecast for tomorrow lest I see more thunderstorms on the way!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
He is so reasonable - I ended up paying him more than he requested, if you can imagine that. He goes above & beyond - I have had so many losers here expecting PHD wages for incompetent work.
We had a root beer break and when I asked him why he works so much he said that his clients are not just clients, they're his friends and he just can't say no.

I mentioned that if he or anyone else that had his work ethic wanted to work full time - there's plenty of work in NC - I relayed Ani's story. I had nothing but bad experiences when I worked in CO.
I will never understand why the unemployment is so high in this state, yet we can't seem to find people to do handyman jobs, carpentry work, or lawn work.

I did find a company that has handymen (very good ones!) that I have used in Charlotte. But never did find anyone willing to do landscaping other than simple mowing and trimming. Very discouraging!

Here in the mountains, I had about given up, especially after having folks show up and then never even bother to send me an estimate -- and some never showed up even after making an appointment and repeatedly calling to find out WHY they didn't come.

I hope I will soon be in good shape with the help of a childhood friend who has moved back to this area after living in Florida for decades. I am keeping my fingers crossed that will work out - supposedly, he can start next week. YAY!!!!

For someone who actually wants to work and is good at handyman jobs -- western NC would welcome them with open arms and pocketbooks - especially the part time homeowners who have no family connections and need repairs, maintenance and caretaking help.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM

6,998 posts, read 7,567,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I will never understand why the unemployment is so high in this state, yet we can't seem to find people to do handyman jobs, carpentry work, or lawn work.

I did find a company that has handymen (very good ones!) that I have used in Charlotte. But never did find anyone willing to do landscaping other than simple mowing and trimming. Very discouraging!

Here in the mountains, I had about given up, especially after having folks show up and then never even bother to send me an estimate -- and some never showed up even after making an appointment and repeatedly calling to find out WHY they didn't come.

I hope I will soon be in good shape with the help of a childhood friend who has moved back to this area after living in Florida for decades. I am keeping my fingers crossed that will work out - supposedly, he can start next week. YAY!!!!

For someone who actually wants to work and is good at handyman jobs -- western NC would welcome them with open arms and pocketbooks - especially the part time homeowners who have no family connections and need repairs, maintenance and caretaking help.

I believe today is your birthday ~so~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANIFANI!!!!!! Hope you are doing something fun!

I told him these retirement areas in NC would be a gold mine for him IF he continued with his good work and reasonable prices.

I've had some real rotten toads here. I had an electrician fix something in the garage and the next thing my touchpad on the outside that allows me to open the garage without the remote just stopped working. I traced the wire and it was clearly cut. I showed this to Roger yesterday and he'll fix it but what are these toads thinking? I pass the toad's name around to everyone at every opportunity and encourage them to pass his name around ~ word of mouth can be extremely helpful and also very harmful.

Roger's 2 sons are looking to get into his business and I told him to start packing - it's off to NC we all go

Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,383,411 times
Quote:
Some of the counties in NC are already in school!
One of my earliest terrible memories as a kid was having to go to school the week after Labor Day when it was insufferably hot and we were obliged to wear new clothes and new shoes. I was so uncomfortable in those outfits (you know what we wore back then). In the northern states the school year should be from April to November, 6 days a week, imo. And winter off, or elective coursework. How much $ the schools could save!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I believe today is your birthday ~so~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANIFANI!!!!!! Hope you are doing something fun!

I told him these retirement areas in NC would be a gold mine for him IF he continued with his good work and reasonable prices.

I've had some real rotten toads here. I had an electrician fix something in the garage and the next thing my touchpad on the outside that allows me to open the garage without the remote just stopped working. I traced the wire and it was clearly cut. I showed this to Roger yesterday and he'll fix it but what are these toads thinking? I pass the toad's name around to everyone at every opportunity and encourage them to pass his name around ~ word of mouth can be extremely helpful and also very harmful.

Roger's 2 sons are looking to get into his business and I told him to start packing - it's off to NC we all go
Thank you for the Birthday wishes! I am spending this birthday as I have spent most - ALONE! lololol No, not sad about it . . . having a blast with friends on FaceBook in between doing more of these protocols (they are for INSURANCE CLAIMS!) Talk about tedious and boring - but this stuff pays for remodeling on this house - so am grateful!

I may go splurge on some ice cream at a shop in Blowing Rock where they make candy, too . . . Here is a photo of the shop - Blowing Rock is such a charming village!

https://www.kilwins.com/blowingrock1

Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the Birthday wishes! I am spending this birthday as I have spent most - ALONE! lololol No, not sad about it . . . having a blast with friends on FaceBook in between doing more of these protocols (they are for INSURANCE CLAIMS!) Talk about tedious and boring - but this stuff pays for remodeling on this house - so am grateful!

I may go splurge on some ice cream at a shop in Blowing Rock where they make candy, too . . . Here is a photo of the shop - Blowing Rock is such a charming village!

https://www.kilwins.com/blowingrock1
Happy Birthday, Leo-Virgo cusp!

Treat yourself to dinner out!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
May I ask what a reasonable price is - per hour - for carpentry, etc?

I need a deck rebuild and wonder what it might cost, though of course the NE charges more for everything.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Happy Birthday, Leo-Virgo cusp!

Treat yourself to dinner out!
Thank you for the good wishes!

Might venture out later . . . thinking about a nap right now!

Taurus ASC, Jupiter conjuct my ASC, Moon and Venus in Virgo . . . 5 planets in my 5th house . . . Mars in Scorpio . . . crazy chart and an equally crazy life (but it's been fun and never boring!)

Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM

22,633 posts, read 12,666,918 times
Quote:

... For someone who actually wants to work and is good at handyman jobs -- western NC would welcome them with open arms and pocketbooks - especially the part time homeowners who have no family connections and need repairs, maintenance and caretaking help.
I can relate to your frustration in many ways.

There have been times I called an electrician or a carpenter and they just don't show up or keep on postponing appointments and so on. They act so serenely independent and as if they are doing you a favor.

Right now I'm dealing with a roofer that I hired before and have confidence in his work and appreciate that he is very competitive in his pricing ... but I have to treat him with kid gloves by agreeing to re-schedule his appointments and coax and cajole him to do a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement