U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 PM

8,776 posts, read 10,013,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL LOL, oh that's a perfect example. In fact, you just reminded me of a classic card my daughter got once. She was in 9th grade and had just published her first story and sent a clipping to Grandma. Grandma sent back a note saying: Cindy, your article was "funny".

We were never sure what that meant....

Fortunately, when a family member has an odd habit like that you learn to laugh--and to remember that we all love grandma, no matter how weird her cards are. Which is not such a bad life lesson to learn, come to think of it.
A couple of years ago my mom started ending a lot of the things she says with "quote/unquote". She's not quoting anything! Something like,"well so and so will just have to do something about that. Quote unquote". I've often wondered why she started doing that and still does. My brother even asked me about it. I dunno! And, yes, I laugh...or at least accept that it's just something my mom does! lol

Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,221,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
They were good! We have figs-a-mundo right now, since all our trees are loaded and we're trying to pick what we can before the birds and deer get to 'em. So she cut up a whole bowl of figs and put them in the pancakes. Would never have thought of pumpkin and fig as a combo, but they were really good. I'll have to try that again.
I adore figs but eat them sparingly because I am prediabetic....figs are high in sugar darn it!

One of the appetizers I make for parties is sliced (in half) fresh figs...fill the little cavity in the center with a very small fresh basil leaf and top with a small ball of fresh goat cheese. Drizzle with a tiny bit of honey and sprinkle with crumbled bacon and finish off with a few grains of freshly ground pepper. Really good.

FIGS: Thomas Jefferson's favorite dessert.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 68,244,406 times
FIGS - yum yum yum!

CATTNAP: TY for sharing your appetizer how-to . . . can't wait to try this!

TJefferson is my favorite historical figure so that was a neat factoid you shared.

AZDesertBrat: the quote/unquote thing is very interesting . . . I am now rather fascinated w/ why your mom started this. A dear friend of mine started this parenthetical thing she does w/ her hands - you know - making little quote marks in the air with two fingers of each hand. Now, I have certainly done that myself on rare occasion, but it has become habitual w/ my friends. Why she started doing this out of the clear blue - no clue!!! Hearing about someone else's use of a similar type "additive" in conversation makes me wonder what would spur something like that.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,406,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I got a down parka last winter - love it - also on sale. Actually, I love winter clothes best so this means a 4 season climate is a must.

But, but, but, not ready for winter for while yet.
I still have that very funny image of you bundled in layers with your face buried in scarves last winter. You weren't too nostalgic about winter then. Reminded me of how we kids were bundled in so many layers we could barely move. [smile]

Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 7,576,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I still have that very funny image of you bundled in layers with your face buried in scarves last winter. You weren't too nostalgic about winter then. Reminded me of how we kids were bundled in so many layers we could barely move. [smile]
When fall hits and I have raked up truckloads of leaves I am ready for snow - not quite there yet. I do love that first snow starting Dec 26 I want it all gone - a 2 month winter would be great.

This summer has been strange - partly because of crazy weather but also because I've been stuck inside. Heard on the news that Asheville has had more rain this summer than EVER before - wonder if that means lots of snow?

The quote/unquote thing - she probably heard someone else say it and thought it sounded cool, without understanding what it meant. What dorky things are we all going to start saying??

I have never had a fig~hmmmm~ will have to try them.

OK - off to water the lawn and then more painting - my paint clothes are covered in a variety of colors of paint - maybe I can start a new craze. The trash man looked at me and started laughing.

Carry on~~~~

Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,420,192 times
Quote:

The quote/unquote thing - she probably heard someone else say it and thought it sounded cool, without understanding what it meant. What dorky things are we all going to start saying??
True, maybe it was something that a celebrity said back in the day and struck people as "cool". LOL at the thought of the dorky things I saythat make my kids roll their eyes. I'll bet there are at least a few.

Quote:
I have never had a fig~hmmmm~ will have to try them.
Come visit, we'll send you home with a bucket or two.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 PM

35,885 posts, read 68,244,406 times
Fell again last evening! My sweet furbaby, who has been ill and is half blind, must be feeling better b/c she sniffed the air, caught scent of something and wriggled out of her collar - taking off down the driveway and into the street! I went after her, and while trying to maneuver her back into her collar, I tumbled down the driveway, head first (landed on my shoulder - I always tuck when I fall, so I don't snap a wrist). As luck would have it, I had a doc's appt today . . . turns out I separated my shoulder. Dear me. PT in my future!

My son blames it all on wearing crocs and their getting caught in the rough asphalt. My doc thinks it may be something else so we are running tests -- I have an enlarged thyroid or mass - something. He mentioned Cushings. Haven't checked all that out yet, but I do know that Cushings and weight gain are associated . . . I sure hope this new doc (who was wonderful! took his time!) will be able to help me w/ my health issues. For once, I am actually looking forward to these tests as perhaps there will be some answers in the near future!

Some other good news . . . my friend is here putting up a new storm door! YAY! Next he will be doing the ceiling. I am so relieved and happy. We are thinking it is going to be a cold winter up here. I feel I am getting things ready for a snug home should I decide to spend some time here during the winter (and I usually do, especially around Christmas).

So despite the shoulder problems, it has been a good day.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,420,192 times
Keeping my fingers crossed for good news for you, Ani. What a bummer to have a fall like that. Hope you aren't in pain.

Good news about the storm door. Yes, they say this should be a cold winter. Do you guys have woolly bears in Boone? We should be seeing them soon, and I'll be very curious to see if they're predicting a harsh winter this year. They're amazingly accurate. I know we're not supposed to believe in things like that.... but what can I say, they get it right more often than the weather guys.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 PM

7,005 posts, read 7,576,841 times
Ani - Bummer! Hope your shoulder gets better and you find out what's up with the other issues. I great doctor is hard to find.

Those darn dogs (I have 2).

I wondered about your area with all the rain this summer and if that might mean a snowy winter. If I had to be stuck inside due to weather I can't imagine a better place than NC mountains. Hot chocolate + good music + good movies + good books + a cuddly dog/cat or two and last but not least - CD

OK - back to more house stuff (will I ever be done with this?????????????????????????????)

Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM

18,195 posts, read 22,081,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I wonder how many mischievous, lazy men and women clipped this article and posted it in their house somewhere, and?

Wife: See that! You always boast about what a big, macho he-man you are, you poop out after 3 laps in the swimming pool, and you won't even walk one block to 7/11! Woman up!

Husband: See that! The tire is flat on your car, you want me to change it, and if a 64 YO woman can swim from Cuba to Florida.............................! Woman up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement