Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times

Advertisements

Ani, I feel the same emotional attachment to furniture. There's just something about it, dishes too. And kitchenware. Dh has just refinished my mom's old Art Deco cedar chest that I almost didn't take after she passed away.

So glad I did take it because now it gleams and the inlay looks nice. It used to look like a piece of junk. Then there's the little cedar chest that my mom's father made (I never knew him) but that is going to my niece someday, all agreed upon. Then there's my OWN cedar chest. Yes, I have three.

It is freezing here today. In a nearby town at the beach there is a movie being made today!! Denzle Washington. Dh has gone already to have a look--last night they built a huge ferris wheel next to the beach. I'm not into movies but who can resist out of curiosity?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Interesting, I under estimated how much a 6 ton dumpster can hold...I have it almost full, already. They will pick it up tomorrow, and bring another one next weekend.

Jasper's getting a work out! Skipping the gym this week.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I have boxes more papers to shred. The shredder let out a shriek today and died.
Check your local newspaper.

I was surprised to find an ad from Walgreens yesterday - they're having a 'customer appreciation day' in conjunction with theshredders.com. Free shredding! I have 7 grocery bags stuffed full! Searching the house for more! My shredder still works, but guess where I'm going tomorrow?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Check your local newspaper.

I was surprised to find an ad from Walgreens yesterday - they're having a 'customer appreciation day' in conjunction with theshredders.com. Free shredding! I have 7 grocery bags stuffed full! Searching the house for more! My shredder still works, but guess where I'm going tomorrow?
When I google Walgreens shredding all I get is shredded cheese and shredded wheat that they sell.

Then I found this: Shredding Investigation Continues at Walgreens | Shredding News from Shred Nations

Do you get to shred your own documents, or witness it, or do you leave your stuff off there for them to shred later with others' stuff?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM

I do need to buy a new shredder. Mine gave up the ghost yesterday for good after numerous unsuccessful attempts to unjam it. I was only putting through 3 sheets at a time. I'm tired of getting the typical $39 shredders from office supply stores and having them break down. (All made in China.) Any recommendations for a heavy duty jam-free shredder?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
Quote:
I do need to buy a new shredder. Mine gave up the ghost yesterday for good after numerous unsuccessful attempts to unjam it. I was only putting through 3 sheets at a time. I'm tired of getting the typical $39 shredders from office supply stores and having them break down. (All made in China.) Any recommendations for a heavy duty jam-free shredder?
wonder if it would be worthwhile renting one of the heavy duty ones. Do all your shredding and turn it back in when you are done.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ani, I feel the same emotional attachment to furniture. There's just something about it, dishes too. And kitchenware. Dh has just refinished my mom's old Art Deco cedar chest that I almost didn't take after she passed away.

So glad I did take it because now it gleams and the inlay looks nice. It used to look like a piece of junk. Then there's the little cedar chest that my mom's father made (I never knew him) but that is going to my niece someday, all agreed upon. Then there's my OWN cedar chest. Yes, I have three.

It is freezing here today. In a nearby town at the beach there is a movie being made today!! Denzle Washington. Dh has gone already to have a look--last night they built a huge ferris wheel next to the beach. I'm not into movies but who can resist out of curiosity?
YES! Dishes, too! I collect china. Sets of it, lol. And I have NO CONTROL. I just bought another tea set last week! And for my birthday, hubby got me a set of adorable majolica salad plates . . . and earlier this summer, I bought 4 strawberry plates (they look like strawberries, lol). I cannot help myself!! I should be downsizing and I am still acquiring. Love to entertain and so . . . my tableware is part of that . . .

Cedar chests are wonderful! I store linen in mine. I am so glad you decided to take that piece - and restore it. It is a very useful item.

You must check out the movie set! Take photos! It sounds so interesting!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Old 09-06-2013, 03:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting, I under estimated how much a 6 ton dumpster can hold...I have it almost full, already. They will pick it up tomorrow, and bring another one next weekend.

Jasper's getting a work out! Skipping the gym this week.
Oh my. This sounds like SOOOO much work! How are you managing? Do be careful -- you don't want to mess up your back.

I think you can rightfully skip the gym!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 05:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I think it will look shabby chic. Rough it up a little.

I was thinking of a collection of those folding nylon and aluminum chairs, folding TV trays, and a green grass rug. I saw a beautiful bright palm tree lamp at Lowe's the other day and reached up to see the price when DP grabbed my arm and hauled me away. I thought two of them would look great on either side of the chez lounge.
WRONG.

The correct form is chaise longe: long chair.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
wonder if it would be worthwhile renting one of the heavy duty ones. Do all your shredding and turn it back in when you are done.
Possibly. But I have shredding every week (offers for credit cards with my name on it etc etc) and don't like things to pile up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement