Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well folks, it's a nice cool morning so we've decided the time has come to move clothes and critters down to the new house. Guess that makes the move official... we're 'Burgers now. LOL, hope we won't regret doing this on Friday the 13th.
Yea! I wondered for a moment when you said "truck" and the showed pics of the fire truck if maybeyou were using hat to move~~~~~naw
This is exciting - best of luck and forgetaboutit - Friday the 13th.

It's a perfect day here - yesterday was fabulous - San Diego had nothing over us yesterday or today or most days in fall. And then comes~~~

Wish I was moving today

Old 09-14-2013, 05:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Yea! I wondered for a moment when you said "truck" and the showed pics of the fire truck if maybeyou were using hat to move~~~~~naw
LOL LOL LOL now that would have been moving in style! And that ladder could have been handy.

Quote:

Wish I was moving today
Boy do I remember feeling that way. Seemed like we would never find a place. Or even settle on a city. Then suddenly everything fell into place. I'll bet that's what happens for you, too.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would be a great fundraiser for the Fire Dept. to have your photos made into a book for large donors.
Thanks. They actually do something similar to that, so I guess great minds think alike. There's another guy at that station who takes Mathjak-quality photos, and he's used them to do all sorts of great things. LOL, it's weird talking about the fire station and realizing I'm not sure if I should call it my "former" station or not. I'm going to stay involved with them (to some degree) since we're not that far away. Haven't checked out the station down here, yet, but I understand the associate side is very active. Maybe I'll swing by today and see what they might need. It's too nice of a day to sit inside unpacking--I'd rather get out and start connecting with the new place.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It is interesting to see the difference that income makes in retirement. A big difference between "haves and have nots".

And I don't like the smug, superior attitude of some, who say they saved, and have no compassion for those not as fortunate.

I have met many retirees, who have had health issues, some who had a spouse with a hidden gambling addiction, or just were not as lucky...things happen.

It is just very interesting to see how income really makes a big difference...

Old 09-14-2013, 10:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I have met many retirees, who have had health issues, some who had a spouse with a hidden gambling addiction, or just were not as lucky...things happen.
With my parents, it was mostly medical bills, a downturn in real estate values, some investments that were conservative but did not do very well, and the fact my mother had to move into an assisted living facility that ate up a lot of their savings. They were middle class folks and they owned two homes. In the 1990's their net worth was about three quarters of a million dollars, but by the time they died - within two years of each other - the estate was worth half of that.

My favorite uncle, who will be 80 in a few weeks ... had almost nothing in savings when he retired. His only "asset" was a rent controlled apartment in Manhattan he acquired back in the '70's. His only real income is his social security check. However, he is managing pretty well. He takes advantage of free things offered to seniors like free breakfast and lunch programs, free tickets to see shows, stuff like that.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is interesting to see the difference that income makes in retirement. A big difference between "haves and have nots".

And I don't like the smug, superior attitude of some, who say they saved, and have no compassion for those not as fortunate.

It is just very interesting to see how income really makes a big difference...
I agree with what you are saying. There's a big gap between the people who did really well and can afford everything and the ordinary person who worked and saved but experienced some misfortune.

And there are entire threads in here devoted to smug bragging by the people who were lucky enough to remain married, not encounter a serious illness, or other problem that resulted in reduced finances. Conveniently, they have blinders on so they can't see reality. The retired yuppie crowd.

They are the only ones who read their threads.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:55 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Good morning Geezers!

First, congratulations to Caladium on her move Let us know how you feel so far - you just arrived but is the "feel" the same?

Now <drum roll> I just went out and behold~~~there was my newspaper. He never hits 2 weeks in a row so I thought it would be.

What is that fox going to do now that Caladium no longer lives there? He'll probably gather up his family and move into her old house.

It rained yesterday and this morning has a fresh smell in the air. I get to wash windows today - yea!! ()

Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I agree with what you are saying. There's a big gap between the people who did really well and can afford everything and the ordinary person who worked and saved but experienced some misfortune.

And there are entire threads in here devoted to smug bragging by the people who were lucky enough to remain married, not encounter a serious illness, or other problem that resulted in reduced finances. Conveniently, they have blinders on so they can't see reality. The retired yuppie crowd.

They are the only ones who read their threads.
Although I'm not so sure about your last sentence, I would say "Yep!" to the rest of the post. It's even worse in the Economics Forum and the Personal Finance sub-forum. For those of us who are middle class like I am (not even upper middle class by any stretch of the imagination) it is pretty irritating to read the thinly disguised bragging by some people about how much money they have. So I can well imagine that it's even more irritating for those who may be less than solidly middle class.

Have you read the posts by whiners in Personal Finance who are crying about how they are just scraping by on a gross income of $100,000 per year? I never made a gross income of $100,000 in my entire life. Those whiners are saying $200,000 is middle class. (Pardon me while I go throw up!) Apparently for some people "middle class" means a little bit above what they are making, no matter how much that is!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:

What is that fox going to do now that Caladium no longer lives there? ()
LOL LOL We've been wondering the same thing. Next weekend we're heading up to check on the house and get a few more things--it'll be funny to see if any papers are scattered on the drive. Our neighbor said she would pick them up, and we're crossing our fingers that this is what happens. Who knows, maybe Mr. Fox will adopt some other family to deliver newspapers to, now that we've moved.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
First, congratulations to Caladium on her move Let us know how you feel so far - you just arrived but is the "feel" the same?
Thanks. So far, so good (for the most part). There are some things I really like (like having a beach just down the road). There are some thing I really miss (grocery stores are ok here but not like in my old neighborhood).

We downsized with this move, and even though I know that downsizing is a good thing it's hard not to miss certain things we had in the other house (can't really call it the "old" house yet until we sell it). I think the things I miss the most is my old kitchen and several huge gardens that I spent years and years working on. The reality is that those gardens took a lot of work, but they were pretty and they were my babies.

And you know, every house has it's quirks. I found reasons to fall in love with the quirks in my old house (or at least got used to them), but I'm not quite at that point with the quirks in this house yet. The cat is a little freaked out in this new house, and I know the feeling. I love it here--but it doesn't quite feel like home yet.

Same goes for activities. This part of Virginia is a lot slower paced than Nova. Loved living up there, and this summer we made a point of doing all our favorite things one last time. So we had a fabulous summer, and I'll never regret that. At the same time, I'll miss it. In reality I probably would have slowed down whether I moved or not--can't really keep that up that pace forever, but it's also a little sad to wave goodbye to so many activities, good friends, and such a wonderful summer. I wonder if I'll have a hard time adjusting to a slower pace at first. Or who knows, maybe I'll love it!

We have a tenant now. She had been renting an attached apartment and we decided to let her stay until she finishes her degree, which is in another year. In a lot of ways it's been good to have someone in the house over the summer, but I'm sure there will be some adjustment getting used to having a tenant so nearby. Fortunately, she seems like a really nice person.

I'm sure it will feel more comfortable as we find our new groups to belong to and new favorite places to hang out. Also, I need to get back into the habit of doing my daily circuit. I took a break from that to make this move, but maybe tomorrow I see if I can get back into it. I've met one neighbor so far, and stopped by the firehouse... so slowly but surely we'll find our niches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement