Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 01:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times

Advertisements

I just came back from a lovely long drive out into the hills to a country fair (apple cider, pumpkin pie, shearings, crafts, etc). This is absolutely the best time of year here, from end August through November 1. The yellows are stronger than the reds and oranges so far. For the past three weeks we've had nothing but glorious weather, so I hope the storm systems elsewhere don't head this way. (The October N'easter that socked us two years ago is still strong in my memory.) People are kayaking and canoeing on the lakes, rivers and streams, and picknicing in the perfect weather (will do that tomorrow). The apple orchards are full and many are out picking. Pumpkins and chrysanthemum plants everywhere. It's really hard to believe that this incredible stretch of days will ever end, but as we know, it can turn on a dime and then there is winter.... Will try not to turn on the stove till Nov. 1.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wimp! You are Carolina strong we thrive on storms. Darn transplants have weakened our backbone.
Aren't the really bad storms just along the coast?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:39 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,940,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Aren't the really bad storms just along the coast?
I was just messing with her , we aren't getting squat

Old 10-05-2013, 03:51 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,516,169 times
Quote:
I just came back from a lovely long drive out into the hills to a country fair (apple cider, pumpkin pie, shearings, crafts, etc). This is absolutely the best time of year here, from end August through November 1. The yellows are stronger than the reds and oranges so far. For the past three weeks we've had nothing but glorious weather, so I hope the storm systems elsewhere don't head this way. (The October N'easter that socked us two years ago is still strong in my memory.) People are kayaking and canoeing on the lakes, rivers and streams, and picknicing in the perfect weather (will do that tomorrow). The apple orchards are full and many are out picking. Pumpkins and chrysanthemum plants everywhere. It's really hard to believe that this incredible stretch of days will ever end, but as we know, it can turn on a dime and then there is winter.... Will try not to turn on the stove till Nov. 1.
Oh, NEG, I will live vicariously though you for now because I absolutely CANNOT shake this combo cold/allergy thing. I went out yesterday (to get an allergy shot lol) and it was as you described. The yellow mums this year! The leaves on some trees were already at peak and others are just yellows and reds, waiting for the orange to kick in.

I got home and made the list: Canoe down the river, go to the farm and get cider and donuts, take my camera. But here I am stuck. So glad you got the chance to be out and be a part of it. It's rainy here so I don't feel that I'm missing too much today. (and of course, our yearly mantra is Please Don't Let the Wind Blow the Leaves off the Trees).

Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I was just messing with her , we aren't getting squat
You'll just get some rain. That's what somebody in Alabama said anyway.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:35 PM

129 posts, read 236,462 times
Tropical Storm Karen made nice waves last night on the Gulf side here in FL, the Gulf side is usually calm. We've just had clouds, but no rain the past few days. We had more than enough last week: eight inches over three days.

We've been meeting the kids/grandkids at a local beach on Friday evening for the past few weeks. We bring the food and drinks and set up at a covered picnic table that overlooks the beach. There aren't as many people out on Fridays like there is on Saturday. The grandkids have a ball playing on the beach, eating, playing some more and then they are ready for a bath and bed when they get home. It's been a great way to unwind and so relaxing and fun for everyone.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,718,599 times
in_newengland, do you have the cold from hell that lasts for months? I'm in twelve weeks now.....

Old 10-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
in_newengland, do you have the cold from hell that lasts for months? I'm in twelve weeks now.....
That's an awfully long time. I hope you get better pretty soon. I think mine is the fall allergies-cold combo that can morph into a sinus infection. I started the neti pot treatments today and if that fails it's off to the doctor. Have you gone to the doctor yet?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,008,067 times
It has rained for most of the last 30 hours or so...I think we got about 4 inches of rain....it is cool but not cold and will warm back up on Tuesday and be in the 70's for the next week (or so they say)....last night it rained so hard - thunder, lightening, etc.....the loud rain woke me up...almost scary.

The good thing: No wind - no wind damage, no uprooted trees...just a bit of flooding but not in our area. So the rain/storm was not just on the coast - it definitely hit here in KY.

Jean - that sounds lovely!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,008,067 times
Quote:
Fabulous. Our area is full of fall festivals and most have decorated their yards with mums and pumpkins and corn stalks....the leaves are starting to change and there is some color but not in full color yet. Yellows stronger than reds and oranges here too. I bought 6 different varieties of apples last week from a farm stand - most of the apple names I had never heard including Arkansas Black,,,I bought some of each and all have been delicious.

We buy our pumpkins at Huber Farm in Indiana - such a great place...here is our porch this year - all the pumpkins are real. http://www.joehubers.com/

This is our porch from last year - notice the beautiful maple leaves....this year the leaves are mostly brown and a little gold and then falling off. About three weeks ago one of our dogwood trees decided to bloom - it was in full bloom for over 2 weeks. Crazy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement