Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Fabulous. Our area is full of fall festivals and most have decorated their yards with mums and pumpkins and corn stalks....the leaves are starting to change and there is some color but not in full color yet. Yellows stronger than reds and oranges here too. I bought 6 different varieties of apples last week from a farm stand - most of the apple names I had never heard including Arkansas Black,,,I bought some of each and all have been delicious.

We buy our pumpkins at Huber Farm in Indiana - such a great place...here is our porch this year - all the pumpkins are real. Joe Huber's Family Farm & Restaurant

This is our porch from last year - notice the beautiful maple leaves....this year the leaves are mostly brown and a little gold and then falling off. About three weeks ago one of our dogwood trees decided to bloom - it was in full bloom for over 2 weeks. Crazy.
When did you do the carving? My favorite of all time was one carved with teeth. He had a cigar in his mouth that continually emitted smoke. That sterile look in the picture sure doesn't do it for me.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Fabulous. Our area is full of fall festivals and most have decorated their yards with mums and pumpkins and corn stalks....the leaves are starting to change and there is some color but not in full color yet. Yellows stronger than reds and oranges here too. I bought 6 different varieties of apples last week from a farm stand - most of the apple names I had never heard including Arkansas Black,,,I bought some of each and all have been delicious.

We buy our pumpkins at Huber Farm in Indiana - such a great place...here is our porch this year - all the pumpkins are real. Joe Huber's Family Farm & Restaurant

This is our porch from last year - notice the beautiful maple leaves....this year the leaves are mostly brown and a little gold and then falling off. About three weeks ago one of our dogwood trees decided to bloom - it was in full bloom for over 2 weeks. Crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When did you do the carving? My favorite of all time was one carved with teeth. He had a cigar in his mouth that continually emitted smoke. That sterile look in the picture sure doesn't do it for me.
Good thing it isn't your house then.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I was just messing with her , we aren't getting squat
Looks that way . . . just some rain predicted here (and in the mountains). And we need the rain, so that will be a good thing, as long as it isn't so much that it causes flooding.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
CATTKNAP: love the way you have the pumpkins stacked! That is gorgeous!

You have more fall color going on there than we do here in Charlotte right now. In fact, most of the trees in my yard are not even turning colors - the leaves are brown and dropping - some trees have no leaves at all. I have never seen it like this before - typically, there is so much color here b/c of the variety of trees.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's an awfully long time. I hope you get better pretty soon. I think mine is the fall allergies-cold combo that can morph into a sinus infection. I started the neti pot treatments today and if that fails it's off to the doctor. Have you gone to the doctor yet?
No, I know so many that have and to no avail. DH's ex wife didn't know her health insurance was cancelled and she went through everything like an MRI and now has a 10K bill. For a freaking COLD! All they could do was give her a Zpack, then cold meds and Mucinex.

Ay first I did 10 days of amoxycillin to rule our an infection, then I thought it would pass on it's own. Then a friend told me she had something similar and the only thing that kicked it was bed rest.

So I'm getting tired of being in bed and started another round of amoxycillin which I am going to do for 21 days to rule out mono. I have been doing zinc and vitamin C 1000mg/day. Also olive leaf extract which is supposed to be an antiviral as is vitamin C. It's not doing much.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
CCc girl, I am doing the same--the extra zinc and eating soups and vegetables but it just gets worse. Today I am going to the doctor. Mine has turned into a sinus infection, I think. I get one every year at this time, change of seasons, fall allergies. Don't they test for mono? I had it back in college and they tested me for it. One thing I remember about mono was THE WORST sore throat I have ever had in my life.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Mono is usually found in younger folks less than thirty. My stepdaughter had it in her teens and it was pure exhaustion, she stayed in bed for two weeks.

This particular cold is really exhausting, my friend was right. Last week I went to bed every night at nine or before, and layed down whenever I could (work from home). I'm still stuffy but not exhausted. Sense of taste still not there, my wedding soup tasted like poo. I'm drinking tons of grapefruit juice, cut with seltzer over ice it's delish.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
That cold that's going around this year is a particularly nasty one. My brother is going on his 10th week (He's on his second Z-pack) and a friend of mine has had it for over two months. During her second week I took her out to lunch (she was getting cabin fever) and a day after that I started a sore throat. Long story short: At one point I was in bed nearly 36 hours straight, lost my sense of smell and taste completely, had really bad night sweats, balance issues, and coughed nearly every minute. I used a sinus rinse quite a bit, and ate several teaspoons of crushed garlic, a gallon of grapefruit juice......and a bag of Cuties. Good luck beating it, it's a pretty tough one.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
That cold that's going around this year is a particularly nasty one. My brother is going on his 10th week (He's on his second Z-pack) and a friend of mine has had it for over two months. During her second week I took her out to lunch (she was getting cabin fever) and a day after that I started a sore throat. Long story short: At one point I was in bed nearly 36 hours straight, lost my sense of smell and taste completely, had really bad night sweats, balance issues, and coughed nearly every minute. I used a sinus rinse quite a bit, and ate several teaspoons of crushed garlic, a gallon of grapefruit juice......and a bag of Cuties. Good luck beating it, it's a pretty tough one.
Sounds like more than a cold. What's the difference between being so sick with a cold and having the flu?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 AM

thanks, Darth, we were beginning to think we were the only ones. All of my family in CT had it for at least two months.

FYI a cold is when your temp is below 98.6, the flu is 102 or higher.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement