Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times

Advertisements

Been sweeping acorns off my cement driveway constantly.

However, a harsh winter here in the Ozarks of Arkansas would be comparable to the mildest winter in Minnesota where I lived for 66 years prior.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ani--Yes! There's no point in going out there and freezing to death. I hold the "handle" and woooooosh zing the dog flies away. My previous dog I just had to stand there (inside, door only open enough for the leash to go through) and holler, "Go wee wee." And he would do it and come right back in.
I need to go ahead and get my dog accustomed to this method so she won't be confused her first time out in a storm. I will get a good leash and try it out - I have a feeling she will get the message immediately. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!!!!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Been sweeping acorns off my cement driveway constantly.

However, a harsh winter here in the Ozarks of Arkansas would be comparable to the mildest winter in Minnesota where I lived for 66 years prior.
Oh yes . . . I am sure you had some really harsh storms and blizzards in MN. Piece of cake in Arkansas, comparatively speaking!!!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh yes . . . I am sure you had some really harsh storms and blizzards in MN. Piece of cake in Arkansas, comparatively speaking!!!
The only problem in Arkansas is the occasional ice storm. I remember visiting my friends in Hot Springs Village one Christmas and having to stay an extra few days because the roads were too icy (but, to be fair, that only happened that one time).

Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The only problem in Arkansas is the occasional ice storm. I remember visiting my friends in Hot Springs Village one Christmas and having to stay an extra few days because the roads were too icy (but, to be fair, that only happened that one time).
This will be my 3rd winter and I am prepared.

Bought a 20KW automatic whole house propane generator .
( being retired helps , also )

Old 10-26-2013, 06:29 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
I was in Little Rock last weekend (Oct 19-21) and the weather was beautiful. It's a great place for a four-season climate without the extremes. There is some snow and ice in the winter, but that is fairly rare. Yes, there is heat and humidity in the summer, but it's not as bad as the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Default Two nominations

I hereby nominate Ghostly1 and Anifani as co-literary scholars for this City-Data Retirement Forum. It is humbling to be in the presence of such learned people!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
This will be my 3rd winter and I am prepared.

Bought a 20KW automatic whole house propane generator .
( being retired helps , also )
When New England had the October surprise blizzard two years ago on Halloween, so many iced trees and branches came down along with the electrical wires on nearly every street. Every generator from here to Kentucky was sold out. Generous neighbors who had generators shared them by running cords. You are wise to have gotten it now. We left our generator at our last house (it was wired into the electrical panel and was a selling feature). For now in our new location we only have the wood stove in the LR, on which we can and did cook during the blackout, which for us lasted 10 days. If we stay here more than a few years we will definitely get that generator. It's novel for about 2 minutes to be in the dark and cold.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
When New England had the October surprise blizzard two years ago on Halloween, so many iced trees and branches came down along with the electrical wires on nearly every street. Every generator from here to Kentucky was sold out. Generous neighbors who had generators shared them by running cords. You are wise to have gotten it now. We left our generator at our last house (it was wired into the electrical panel and was a selling feature). For now in our new location we only have the wood stove in the LR, on which we can and did cook during the blackout, which for us lasted 10 days. If we stay here more than a few years we will definitely get that generator. It's novel for about 2 minutes to be in the dark and cold.
Ten days is a damn long time to be without electricity! That's about the maximum time it can happen in California after a major earthquake! And yes, I can imagine that the adventurous aspect can fade pretty quickly, especially in the winter cold of New England. I take it you had an electric stove? I'll bet you were glad you had the wood stove, both for heat and for cooking. Is it pretty common to have a wood stove as a back-up where you live?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ohhhhh!!! Adorable! I need to get a retractable leash in case I need to use the "stand at the door during snow" method!!!
Many dogs can't use them because that sort of leash makes them feel like they're being pulled. I have a fenced backyard but the rest of my property is open. I used to go out there with them and let them run around and play. But the last couple of years my older dog has developed cognitive dysfunction. My younger one will bring him back if she thinks something is wrong but I like to have him on a leash. I have two, a 25' and a 50'. I can twirl and flip those; he never knows he's wearing one. When it's really cold I wait behing a closed door and just let them out in back. My little girl doesn't take long but my older one has a thick fur coat and likes to stay out a while. On the rare occasions when there is wet icy snow that can get between his toes he comes back quickly too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement