Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times

Advertisements

And so it begins -

Tonight I made the first fire in the fireplace since outside temps are down around forty and dropping.

With plenty of well seasoned wood this year I hope to kept those fires going a lot of the time. Since I now tend to wake up in the middle of the night most nights I should be able to get up and toss a few more logs on it and keep it going until morning.

I've got a pretty good supply of interesting books both paper ones and a batch on the kindle in case we have any power outages.

Hope you all are keeping warm as we move toward winter.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Wow, Zugor, you're as cold as we are up here! 47F high today and the wind was howling. Thanks for the warm wishes.

Oddly enough the majority of our outages are in the summer. Thanks for the generator Dad!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Here in Massachusetts it was in the 40s and 50s today and will finally get really cold tonight. That fireplace and books sounds good, just what's needed.

I wish the world of appointments and things we need to go to would change to comply with the setting back of the clocks. It's getting darker earlier anyway and now with the clocks set back, dh had to come back from Boston on the train yesterday afternoon in the pitch blackness. Then he had to get a bus and walk from the bus stop 1/4 of mile in the dark. whine whine whine but I hate this. It's still a 9-5 world but it gets dark before you can get home and there is no light for walking the dog or working in the yard. At least we're not still working or it would be every day navigating the rural roads in darkness. When the snow and ice start, we're trapped. /rant.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I love this time of year. My favorite month is November. It feels so clear and clean. The bare trees allow you to see the most amazing colors, brilliant patches of red or yellow in among the trees, and rolling paths of soft lavenders and shades of grey. The hills out here are gorgeous (you can finally see them clearly without all the foliage).

Yesterday I was driving from the southern part of Mass. north and the horizontal Holyoke Mountain Range (the only range here that goes E-W) up ahead was just blazing with color at around 4:30, just before dark. As I drove I was mesmerized by the rolling hills in brilliant profile. An enormous heavy bank of cloud was hovering over the hills throwing off spectacular shadow and light. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road. Did I say I love this time of year? And getting up early, thanks to good 'ol ST!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was just telling someone this morning that I hate DST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
At any rate, I think DST is a stupid idea and something that should be abolished.
You should move to Arizona. They abolished it 40 or so years ago.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Down here in Virginia we have a chill in the air but it was still a good weekend for a race.

Several people running with Superman capes

As you can see, lots of people run in costume. Others are nearly nekkid!

There were also runners in bathrobes and curlers

While the runners were nearly naked, the kids skating at the same location were wearing much more sensible clothes.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-10-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 12:46 PM

The race was a secondary reason to be up in northern Virginia yesterday. The real reason was the grand opening of the Kincora Fire Station. When you are volunteers, opening a new station is a big, big deal. It's something you work toward for years. So I went up to witness a moment in history. Also, a chance to reconnect with friends. I may have retired and moved away but I'm going to try to stay connected. At least for the first year or so.

Since the daily shift starts at 6 a.m., that meant the station opened as the sun was rising. Wow, that was an early morning drive. About half way there I wondered if I was out of my freakin' mind to be doing this. But it was actually rather cool to see (what can I say, I was into the symbolism as the sun rose over the new fire station).

They had a nice ceremony with an honor guard, flag raising ceremony, and then they pushed the biggest truck into the virgin station. Pushing the truck into a brand new bay brings good luck.

It was chilly chilly chilly at 6 a.m. (about 42 degrees). If there was a smiley that said "Brrrr" this would be a good place to use it. But I wore a coat and layers, and had a nice hot cup of Joe to keep me warm. And I made a bee line to get inside just as soon as the station was officially open.

This is literally the sun rising over the new fire station

Firefighters push the truck into the bay for the first time

Getting back to race photos, I noticed lots of leaves had fallen, since the last time I was up there. But there were some spots of good color. Notice the trees behind the kids warming up for the Turkey Trot (the run for younger kids that's held earlier in the morning).

Last look at some leaves before they all blow away for the season. It's November, after all.

It was a good weekend.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-10-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Wow, Cal, NICE fire station!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

While the runners were nearly naked, the kids skating at the same location were wearing much more sensible clothes.
Oh, I don't know ...

I think being nearly naked is very sensible - IF you have the body the rest of us would enjoy a glimpse of!

Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Wow, Cal, NICE fire station!
Yeah, they did a nice job on it. There are a few little glitches, but every building has those I guess. The best part is the furniture is real (not built by prisoners).

Being a civic building, the landscaping and the furniture of firehouses is often built by prison industries.

You know, I'm all for supporting charity and the prisoners actually do a good job with the landscaping (at east around here) but the couches are what you'd call sturdy. In other words, not all that comfy.

I'm ok with couches built by prisoners, but after a long day fighting fires, I think they deserve to sink into a couch that's comfy!

Last edited by Caladium; 11-11-2013 at 05:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement