U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,223,162 times

Advertisements

Got out of the house in this weather last night . . . son wanted to take us to his favorite Mexican Restaurant. Wind chill of -19 but we were snug since we were chauffeured!!! Hubby was in a good mood and got through the evening well and enjoyed getting out a bit.

Woke up to -1 F but the sun is out.

The hospital is relaying near epidemic situation with the flu here. And a problem with viral pneumonia, as well. I don't want to go anywhere in public right now and hesitated going out last night as I am convinced restaurant kitchens often end up with sick employees who can't afford not to come to work.

But most folks are not adapted as well as I am to being a hermit so . . . even I venture out on occasion . . . with sanitizer in my purse and scarves around my face, lololol.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,360,936 times
Good News: When I checked outside Wednesday morning, a secret shoveler not only cleared my sidewalk, but completely cleared my front walk, as well.

Bad News: After hearing this, my daughter pointed out that I am now the "old lady" in my neighborhood.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:43 AM

7,003 posts, read 7,573,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Good News: When I checked outside Wednesday morning, a secret shoveler not only cleared my sidewalk, but completely cleared my front walk, as well.

Bad News: After hearing this, my daughter pointed out that I am now the "old lady" in my neighborhood.
Naw - you are the wise elder and seniority has its privileges. Nice - didn't think people did this anymore.

I was just outside and it is downright balmy ~~ 28F with a high today of 34F. That means some of this white stuff will melt. My furnace hasn't run for a while now - this is a good thing.

Last edited by Umbria; 01-24-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 PM

22,634 posts, read 12,676,306 times
I learned (thank you YouTube) a way to make a very cheap little effective space heater.

Survivalists and people living off-grid take note.

I put 4 of those little "tea-light" candles in a metal loaf pan that are used for baking bread. Put a terracotta (clay) flower pot upside down over the loaf pan, but first light four little tea lights. Plug the hole on top of the clay pot (you can use a little aluminum foil, I used an old metal drawer-pull in my hardware box). Voila! It takes a while, but the clay disperses heat very well around a small space.

Suppose your electricity goes out? Good to know an alternative way to heat a small room on a cold winter night.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,396,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I learned (thank you YouTube) a way to make a very cheap little effective space heater.

I put 4 of those little "tea-light" candles in a metal loaf pan that are used for baking bread. Put a terracotta (clay) flower pot upside down over the loaf pan, but first light four little tea lights. Plug the hole on top of the clay pot (you can use a little aluminum foil, I used an old metal drawer-pull in my hardware box). Voila! It takes a while, but the clay disperses heat very well around a small space.

Suppose your electricity goes out? Good to know an alternative way to heat a small room on a cold winter night.
Who knew a sophisticated urbanite could be a survivalist, lol.

I need to see a picture of this. Cannot quite grasp it. The flower pot is round, and the loaf pan is rectangular....

Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,396,741 times
I haven't yet caught up with this angle of the "ACA." Just posting it FYI, so it doesn't get moved.

Proposed Medicare drug rules to rein in costs threaten industry profits, patient access - Nation - The Boston Globe

Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,581,496 times
light blowing snow, 12F. Was going to try to beat the snow and grab some hay and grain but that's not going to happen. Forgot lotto tix, might be going out anyway

ne_girl too funny about your dog shedding the outfit

Great posts about winter wear all. And no slip falls letting dogs out, let's be careful out there.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM

8,092 posts, read 13,514,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Who knew a sophisticated urbanite could be a survivalist, lol.

I need to see a picture of this. Cannot quite grasp it. The flower pot is round, and the loaf pan is rectangular....
How to heat a room with some candles (and why you probably shouldn't) : TreeHugger

Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 AM

10,972 posts, read 8,404,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Researching this turns up many cautions re carbon monoxide since in effect it's a combustion heater.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM

9,862 posts, read 11,415,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Researching this turns up many cautions re carbon monoxide since in effect it's a combustion heater.
Everybody should have CO detectors. That said, there's apparently not much problem with this since we never hear of CO problems in the news regarding these heaters and similar. There's a positive plethora of designs on youtube. While you're there check rocket stoves and solar ovens.

Kerosene lamps produce heat as well and work well to heat water. It's slow but can produce sufficient quantities of hot water. BTW, you do have some kerosene lamps, don't you? Think about kerosene heaters and a kerosene stove as well for a grid-down emergency. The great thing about kerosene is that it's safe to store in your house very different from gasoline.

This is the stove I have. It works with Coleman fuel and gasoline as well but please limit your indoor use to kerosene.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-550B72...kerosene+stove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement