Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The state of Virginia is starting to sound really good to me. Must email sister who lives there.
I recently googled the climate of Virginia Beach/Norfolk Virginia ... and it seemed really nice, four seasons but average annual snowfall is only 4". It practically a subtropical climate and for gardeners the hardiness zone is 8A-8B.

However I suspect the mountains of western Virginia are no different than the northeast: NY, NJ, CT, RI.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
You're right. But we're supposed to be drooling over seed catalogs, making stews and roasts, chopping away at ice, knitting, reading books, making quilts, checking on the veggies stored in the root cellar, all that good old winter stuff that just has gotten so boring and most of it I don't want to do anyway. Also, keeping the bird feeder filled even if we have to tromp out to it on snowshoes. Then there is the darning of socks and the mending of clothing.

I got sick of winter LAST winter-- it seemed like we never had summer and now it's mid winter again. This is not a good New England attitude at all. We are supposed to feel guilty if we sit down during the day. "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop." The state of Virginia is starting to sound really good to me. Must email sister who lives there.
in_ne - do you really know how to darn socks? I know my mom used to do it (or at last knew how) but it's not something that she ever taught me. Recently wishing I did know how because I have a couple of pairs of very old, soft, loose woolies that I like to wear just to bed for an hour or so on some really cold nights but since they are at least 20 years old they have gotten thin and several now have some small holes.

If you check you'll find that the weather right now in VB is 18.5 F, feels like 10 F, snow and freezing fog according to the Weather Underground site so it's not much better than where you are. Yeah, it won't last and spring will theoretically be there long before it reaches you up in NE.

Hope spring comes early and lingers long for you (and me too - after all I came here from CA and in my 32 years living there the only times I encountered snow was on a trip to Yosemite in Jan. and a camping trip in autumn in the northern Sierras in Sept.)

Time to go add some wood to the fire.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I recently googled the climate of Virginia Beach/Norfolk Virginia ... and it seemed really nice, four seasons but average annual snowfall is only 4". It practically a subtropical climate and for gardeners the hardiness zone is 8A-8B.

However I suspect the mountains of western Virginia are no different than the northeast: NY, NJ, CT, RI.

Clark your suspicions are close. I'm in the Blue Ridge mountains about an hour southwest of Roanoke, about 2 hours north of Charlotte and we definitely get some serious winter weather but if my long ago memories of winters on Long Island and Plattsburgh, NY are accurate then winter here generally comes a little later and leaves a bit earlier than those places you mentioned. The amount of snow that we tend to get in any given storm is usually less. Head just a bit north (above I-81) or west (of I-77) and things are much different.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Default For high heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The reason I wondered about anything other than coconut and olive oil is because of the higher temperature thing . . . Thanks for everyone's input! It is just so hard to know what to do these days.

Well, it started snowing (flurries) very lightly about 2 hours ago - and then just stopped. There was enough to barely cover the ground. This storm has been rather unpredictable -- at least, with much accuracy, b/c the front keeps shifting around . . . and with it coming up from the Gulf instead of the typical NE nor'easter . . . it is going to be interesting to watch!

I am making marinara - adding ground beef - for spaghetti this evening.

I like peanut oil. I don't like the taste of Canola, so I don't use it. I use lots of other oils--olive, coconut, grape seed, sesame seed, butter, etc. --Just depends on the dish.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I like peanut oil. I don't like the taste of Canola, so I don't use it. I use lots of other oils--olive, coconut, grape seed, sesame seed, butter, etc. --Just depends on the dish.
Grape seed - that is the oil I was trying to recall and couldn't. I have never used it. I need to find out more about it.

I have read so many negative things about vegetable oils and Safflower and Canola oils that I really don't know what to do. I am not allergic to peanuts but seems I heard something negative about peanut oil, as well, lol. (I will do some more research on this).

I used Canola for a long time til I read that was a no no . . . so stuck with Safflower, and read that was a no no . . . it is so confusing.

But grape seed - seems I read positive things about enzymes, antioxidants (sp?) or something in it that makes it a beneficial oil. I don't remember anything about it being recommended for higher temps . . . will go check it out.

Thank you!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
in_ne - do you really know how to darn socks? I know my mom used to do it (or at last knew how) but it's not something that she ever taught me. Recently wishing I did know how because I have a couple of pairs of very old, soft, loose woolies that I like to wear just to bed for an hour or so on some really cold nights but since they are at least 20 years old they have gotten thin and several now have some small holes.

If you check you'll find that the weather right now in VB is 18.5 F, feels like 10 F, snow and freezing fog according to the Weather Underground site so it's not much better than where you are. Yeah, it won't last and spring will theoretically be there long before it reaches you up in NE.

Hope spring comes early and lingers long for you (and me too - after all I came here from CA and in my 32 years living there the only times I encountered snow was on a trip to Yosemite in Jan. and a camping trip in autumn in the northern Sierras in Sept.)

Time to go add some wood to the fire.
Darning socks--you just put a darning egg into the sock and get a needle and some thick thread. You first go horizontally all across the hole to fill it in and then go across the threads to complete it. You sort of weave the second set of threads in and out as you go. If you don't own a darning egg, I don't know what to tell you. (A real egg?) We used to have actual bed socks that were thickish terrycloth type things.

VA Beach is cold now but true, it won't last. They had about 60 the other day. I can't take their summers though. I wonder if people get used to that heat and humidity all summer long.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Well, now I am utterly confused. Read this and you will see why. Dear me. Where's my crisco? lolololol

Smokin' Hot or Unsafe? Is cooking with grape seed oil a good idea? | Eat Naked Now

Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Darning socks--you just put a darning egg into the sock and get a needle and some thick thread. You first go horizontally all across the hole to fill it in and then go across the threads to complete it. You sort of weave the second set of threads in and out as you go. If you don't own a darning egg, I don't know what to tell you.
There's a good chance that I can find one right in Floyd at Schoolhouse Fabrics:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

As the sign says "come in and spend the day". It's easy to do.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
These cross-conversations have me laughing out loud. It's like watching a misfired game of pingpong. I feel like I'm already living in a nursing home--in the "advanced" unit. LOL

Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
These cross-conversations have me laughing out loud. It's like watching a misfired game of pingpong. I feel like I'm already living in a nursing home--in the "advanced" unit. LOL
More like a kindergarten classroom composed of advanced students.

We're not getting older, we're getting smarter.

And you, NEG, are a writer so you should write a poem about winter. Or an essay. Maybe about horrible boring barren winter. I would do it but I'm not good with words like you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement